Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • If you could manage 100 miles in 6 hours……
  • monksie
    Free Member

…how long would you estimate 150 miles would take you? On road and yes, the obvious answer would be 9 hours but I’m thinking about how you lot of mile munchers think you would cope with the build up of fatigue after hitting 100 miles?
    In fact, what if the ride was 200 miles (‘cos it is going to be, maybe a touch more).
    I can do a reasonably flat 100 on road in 6 hours without hurting…..I’m starting to get that cold feeling of dread now 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

On a recent audax, it took me about 9 hours riding time to do 140 miles. But I think we had some leisurely stops on top. The route was mainly back lanes with a few hills so flat main roads would raise the speed.

Rod

I’d probably base it on 15mph, so that’s 10 hours for 150 miles or 13.3 hours for 200 miles… (if you can minimise stops then 15mph should be comfortable (as comfortable as 200 miles can be 😉 and you might be able to better it)

druidh
    Free Member

Don’t start off too fast. Eat well. Hydrate.

You should manage to maintain 15mph over that sort of distance, especially if it’s reasonably flat. Are you cycling alone or with company?

tracknicko
    Free Member

hmmm. the issue isnt pace. its discomfort.

id rather ride the first 100 miles in sub 5 hrs then see what happens, than slow it up and do 150 in 9 hours.

does that make sense?

basically there comes a time when you are just sore, and uncomfortable, at which point i would rather i had put the hammer down at the beginning and had less far to go, than had taken it easy to preserve a steady pace.

RV
    Free Member

I’m riding from King’s Lynn to Maldon via the coast as much of the way as possible and mapped it at 211 miles. Doing this Saturday and am allowing a good 14 hours for it but after looking at the wind, speed/direction and regular showers predicted it may wander into the 16 hours. I’ve predicted an average of 15mph to aim at.

wors

I’m doing Edinburgh to Bolton in a couple of months, we are aiming to maintain 15mph average, have done 100 miles at this pace and to be honest didn’t feel that tired. As above eat and drink plenty.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m doing London to Manchester on my own. There’s a thread knocking about but I’m not going to spam the forum (but have a peep if you like….please).
    I only ask as I had a look at the Bike Hub app. on my wife’s iphone and it gave a route of just over 200 miles Olympic Velodrome to Manchester Velodrome, adv. speed 16mph but reckoned on 17 hours!
    I thought I was missing something apart from the math being wrong. That should be about 13 mph?
    Good luck on your own rides and well done if you’ve done them already.
    I know what you mean about the quicker start but I have something of a welcoming party waiting for me at Manchester which is getting bigger by the minute it would seem so I kind of have to be as near as I can to an arrival time.

GW
    Free Member

Have ridden 100miles in a fast paced group in well under 6hrs but don’t think I could rver manage 150 in one day. The lower and non competative pace needed for me to complete it would do my head in before the first hour.

paul4stones

With some friends I did 210 miles around Northumberland in about 18hrs. For reference I did the 107 mile NR Cyclone last year in 6.23 so I’m not as fast as you (and nor were my friends.

emac65
    Free Member

Used to break my 100 milers up in to 25 mile segments,it’s quite easy then & you forget all about the time/distance….Or even which way you’re meant to be going,p’haps that last bit is just me ……..

Rod

Doing the first 100 miles in sub 5 hours would be a sure way of blowing up in the second half 🙂

You want to be doing the whole thing at a nice steady effort, which means keeping it aerobic (also means that eating and drinking will be easier to keep reserves topped up). Weather might complicate things, so probably best to mentally prepare for rain and headwinds (then anything better is a bonus).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

id rather ride the first 100 miles in sub 5 hrs then see what happens, than slow it up and do 150 in 9 hours.

[quote]Used to break my 100 milers up in to 25 mile segments,it’s quite easy then & you forget all about the time/distance….Or even which way you’re meant to be going,p’haps that last bit is just me …….. [/quote] I used to do it in ~30 mile blocks, 30 miles fast to get a big chunk of the distance out the way, 30 miles spent eatign/drinking as a slower pace, then build the pace over the last 30 miles. Not sure how that’d pan out over 200 miles as the longest I ever did was about 130miles.

ransos
    Free Member

100 miles in under 5 hours would be in excess of 20mph even if you don’t stop. There are few who can maintain that sort of pace for such a long time, and even fewer who could then ride another 50-100 miles afterwards.

Best pace I’ve ever managed is 110 miles in just under 6 hours, but it was flat and I was knackered afterwards.

jonba
    Free Member

I did a sportive loop as a training ride. 103m in about 6 hours. I then did the same loop a few weeks later but added a 40 mile diversion. Took me 9 hours. So I think you’d be looking 9.5-10 hours unless you were very comfortable on the 100 mile ride.

fasthaggis

We do the this loop every summer.
    One of the group posted last years details up on Garmin

skywalker
    Free Member

200 miles of road riding, what fun!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

200 miles of road riding, what fun!

Ever tried it?

fasthaggis

Hope you get good conditions for it.
    When it’s all going well ,big miles can be a very Zen like experience ( was for me ) 😀

Enjoy

qwerty
    Free Member

Your all mad!!! 😉

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to say 14 hours and either get there come hell or high water or hide round the corner until it’s time to finish.
    If anybody feels like joining in for some or all of it, it’s on the 14th July.

nbt

Mrs NBT was saying last night “he’s going to be out for at least 9 hours”

“More like 14” was my reply.

skywalker
    Free Member

Ever tried it?

60 miles is the most ive done on the road bike and that was boring enough.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If anybody feels like joining in for some or all of it, it’s on the 14th July.

I’m tempted, mainly because I’m in desperate need of an incentive to get fitter, and I’m too tight fisted to pay to enter a race/sportive.

monksie
    Free Member

Spoonie’s in! Mint!
    I think Jane has an inflated opinion of me Jules, I like it!

madxela
    Free Member

I did a team event a couple of years ago where we had to do roughly 100m in 6 hours each four days in a row (and it was hilly).

Lessons I learned – vasoline/chamois cream (obviously!), eat every 30-45 minutes, and 15mph av including stops, red lights, getting lost, is tough. Keep it steady, if you overdo it you will bonk.

Saw the other thread – good luck!!

clubber
    Free Member

It really depends. I could probably just about ride 100 miles at the moment despite my horrendous fitness but another 50 would kill me so it’d take way more than 50% longer. Back in the day, I could fairly comfortably do 100 (flattish) miles in 5 hours and I reckon the extra 50 wouldn’t have been a lot slower – say 3 hours rather than 2.5.

ransos
    Free Member

Lessons I learned – vasoline/chamois cream (obviously!),

For a recent long-distance ride, a liberal smearing of savlon and nurofen gel, endura shorts and a Charge spoon was a winning combination – no saddle soreness at all.

tracknicko
    Free Member

did C2C an odd way last year for charity.

blackpool, pocklington, cleethorpes.

168 miles IIRC. took us pretty much bang on 8.5 hrs of actual pedalling.

we did it using the ‘get up dead early and smash yourself to bits while you dont realise how much it hurts’ technique.

then had chips.

chips made it better.

honestly its all about how sore you’ll get, not about ‘blowing up’ in the racey sense of the word.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spoonie’s in! Mint!

I said I’m tempted! Might go and try 100 miles on Sunday, if I can make it through that then I’m in.

tracknicko
    Free Member

that said… 40 miles after doing 170 is a LONG old way.

maybe a mental game of setting yourself up for it, but if you asked me to do another 40 at the end of C2C id have given you a very short answer.

hp_source

this was me doing home – manchester – blackpool & back a year or two ago.

I’ve done it 3 times now – all roughly the same time.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’d settle at 15mph. You’ll go under and over, but you’ll be okay and possibly surprised at the final average.
    If you push it even a little bit you might need to keep resting whilst you ride. If the pace starts to even feel a little bit like work then ease off.
    People have spoken about blocks, but rather oddly I think of Scalextric 😯 none of this blasting off and going off track, just sit there nice and steady.
    I’m doing London-Paris-London later this year over four days split into 90 miles, 150 miles, 150 miles and a final 90 miles.

damitamit
    Free Member

15mph is a good avg to aim for. Very important to keep your effort steady at first. As said above, start slow, finish fast.

We did Port Talbot to London a couple weeks ago. 198 miles, 13 hour riding time. Real stops are also very good for energy and moral! We stopped 3 times and ate something real. I find that as long as I keep eating steadily after 100 miles I’m fine.

http://app.strava.com/activities/6398868

Have you planned a route? I find nice roads also help alot. Trudging along an A road for 150 miles when you’re tired and hurting is soul destroying! make the route enjoyable and it will feel much quicker.

I’d be happy to join you for the first 50 out of London if you want some company (and a tow!).

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments. Plenty to think about and some impressive rides have been completed.

I’d say I’m not really sure of the route but to be fair……haven’t got a sodding clue, especially out of London, is the truth of it so any help would be gratefully accepted, thanks very much Amit.

parkesie
    Free Member

190 miles in 11 hours amazingly painfull. Do it its great fun.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d love to join you for it, but might be going down to devon or doing the CRC marathon that weekend, will investigate.

monksie
    Free Member

Very impressed Parksie.
    You’re very welcome for some or all of it Sambob

http://www.justgiving.com/stannsbigbikeride

http://stannsbigbikeride.blogspot.co.uk/

Rod

The eating/drinking is an interesting one… some people seem to like “real food” but it’s more efficient if you can find energy products that you can get on well with (it was Torq stuff for me – to the extent that I could go a full 24 hour race eating little else). Over or under eating will make it horrid…! (and SIS gels will make it explosive in a bad way 😉

Training rides are the time to perfect this…

monksie
    Free Member

I’m really not getting in with SIS energy powder drink mix. Nuun hydration is OK but I need to find some carb food that’s easy to carry and digest. I’ll give Torq a go but I can’t have gels near me. Euuugh, worse than pasta!
    I’m fed up of bannana’s. Fruit Pastilles are OK for an occasional treat.
    I’ve just thought about gels again. I’m going to bin my dinner. It’s put me right off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘If you could manage 100 miles in 6 hours……’ is closed to new replies.