Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • If you could have 1 bike only – choice thread!
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

scenario being – you have space for 1 bike only.

You live and ride in the Peak district almost exclusively. You are not slow up or down but tend to hammer through rather than avoid obstacles. You enjoy a climb as much as a descent. Your rides involve 30% (ish) road.

The kit list includes:
    Talas 140-100mm forks with a qr15 axle
    slx/x9 kit
    Elixir brakes (180/160)
    Stans 355 rims on pro 2s
    carbon bar/seat post

With the above in mind would you choose a full sus or hardtail frame and why?

ton

heckler

racing_ralph
    Free Member

why a heckler?

Edric64
    Free Member

I would keep my cyclocross bike.It does off road you could tour on it or put skinny tyres and tribars on it and do a timetrial

I have never used any of the above kit as it's all to pricey for me.

ton

bombproof

jordie
    Free Member

Bluepig

racing_ralph
    Free Member

but the other considerations ton ….

U31
    Free Member

'Goose teocali…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

With the above in mind would you choose a full sus or hardtail frame and why?

BTW – currently have trance x just want an opinion as to what others think is suitable.

Daffy

Ibis Mojo

Light frame, suspension will help you batter your way through, you have travel adjust forks for the climbs and it'll be circa 25-26lbs making it suitable for all day epics.

forge197
    Free Member

dialled prince albert latest CEN approved model great bike, handles well up and down just a joy to ride.

giantjason
    Free Member

Turner 5Spot.

Just changed to it from a hardtail and it has made my local rides much more enjoyable.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

daffy – of only mate, if i had one of those i would never be on the net!!

plumber
    Free Member

853 inbred

Hornet600
    Free Member

Cotic Soul
    Much cheaper than a full suss frame but comfortable and fun to ride.

Are the 355 man enough to cope with 'hammer' through?

oxnop
    Free Member

P7 – since building mine up I havent touched my 'proper' bike (Blur LTc) 😀

Pretty much the same kit as you specced above

Mine now has some SP3 on ZTR355 wheels too (they were on my Blur previously & hammered through lots of stuff BTW)

Simon

What don't you like about the Trance X ?

Pieface

What Simon said

carbon337
    Free Member

five. don't believe it can't climb.

or maybe a blue pig

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i like it a lot but always have a bike itch. I cannot find the sweet spot on the sag/rebound on the rear sus. I tend to lock it out for road and climbs so wondering if a HT would work for me again (ex PA owner)

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Similar to oxnop – if I only had one bike, I'd keep my Handjob as it serves as a really good multipurpose bike.

Random
    Free Member

Similar position, similar ponderings.
    Current thought is either:
    a) Soul, or
    b) Stick with current bike – learn to love what you've got.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

snap!

chakaping
    Free Member

See if you can demo a Zesty.

Much better for your kind of riding than the Trance I think (as a former Trance owner).

Daffy

racing_ralph – Member
    daffy – of only mate, if i had one of those i would never be on the net!!

I'm sorry to say, mine hasn't turned a wheel since October last year. 😳

Jammy111
    Free Member

what you want is the genesis alpitude that i have for sale, similar to a soul only cheaper 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

but its too small as i am 6ft1 and a bit plus a 33" inside leg. Top tube must be 23-24"

loddrik
    Free Member

I also only have one bike to do me for everything so went for this. Ti hardtail all the way…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

did you not one that fitted? layback post and seat ll the way back plus barge stem?

spw3

Not sure you'll get much grip from those green bike shoes though.

RealMan
    Free Member

Chameleon…

Apart from the seatpost (not carbon), the fork (revs) and the drivetrain (xt), its got the same bits..

And I've just got myself a 180 front rotor..

In fact, don't get a chameleon, otherwise if we ever meet it will be weird. I'd have to put my name on it or something or we might get confused.

metalheart
    Free Member

The kit list is not too dissimilar to mine.

I have a Chumba vf2 and Cotic Soul. If I could have only one it would be the Cotic as I find hardtails more fun for more of the time. FS is great for the odd gnarly bit (or for comfort) but most of the time gets the job done.

New Soul good for 140 (although I run mostly 100mm)

YMMV

loddrik
    Free Member

RR- bike fits me great but I like a stretched position. Frame is 19" & I am 6'.

bol

I haven't ridden in the peak district, but I made a very similar decision recently, with similar kit. I went for a Cotic Soda, and have no regrets. Not quite as quick down the hills in Wales, but a lot of fun.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Turner dw spot or Nicolai Helius AC

Pieface

If the cost of servicing the suspension is not a problem (Assume a £200 outlay a year for both ends) and you can live without the bike for a week or 2 whilst the servicing is being done, I'd go for a FS, but then I've been riding HT for the last few years and fancy a change.

I rode a couple this weekend and it seems that a bit of squidge whilst climbing is something you need to get used to (even with a Brain equipped Spesh Stumpjumper Pro), although it helps get up those really awkward climbs.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bump

therealhoops
    Free Member

Nic Helius FR or Chumba imo

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the op asked why tho not just a straight choice

stumpy01

FS for me, I think. One of the many capable offerings out there, but I'm happy with my 2010 Stumpjumper so I'll say that…

…decent amount of travel but still climbs well, doesn't bob around, good traction, comfy position etc…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘If you could have 1 bike only – choice thread!’ is closed to new replies.