Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)
  • If you could go back in time, what gig would you want to see?
  • frankconway

The Who Live at Leeds 1970.
    Dr Feelgood’s original line-up; farewell gig at Southend.
    Another vote for Woodstock and Live Aid.
    For those who didn’t see AC/DC with Bon Scott – you missed a treat!

failedengineer

Cream farewell concert

Leonard Cohen at the IOW festival 1970

Joni Mitchell – anywhere, anytime!

Bob Dylan and the Band

Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies concert 1970

I guess I’m just an old fart ……

nerd
    Free Member

LCD Soundsystem at Madison Square Garden in 2011. Sounded like a massive party.
    I looked into it but too much $$$.

edhornby

Charlie Parker in his prime in 1942/43 or maybe Miles Davis around the time of Kind of Blue with Cannonball or Coltrane with his quartet

Apparently Jimi Hendrix played the Co-op New Century Hall in Manchester, that would be ace because I work for the Co-op now 🙂 I think Ike and Tina also played there, that would be another on the list.

BB King at the Regal, imagine being there in person when the album is being recorded !

The Small faces
    The Clash
    Steely Dan
    Nirvana

doomanic

I saw Nirvana at the Hummingbird in Brum in the early ’90’s. I’d like to go back and watch them again.

Lynard Skynard at the LA Colosseum.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bowie at Glastonbury 2000.

I was there, but I was wankered and hardly remember any details other than it seemed very special at the time and I hardly knew him or his music before and I’ve been a fan ever since.

verses

GnR at the Whisky a Go Go or CBGBs around the time of Lies/Appetite.

Sonic Youth, Nirvana and The White Stripes are others I always regret not having made an effort to see.

failedengineer

@mariner – I saw the Mothers at the Free Trade Hall!

ones I’d like to see –

Cream farewell concert
    Leonard Cohen at the IOW festival 1970
    Bob Dylan and the Band
    Joni Mitchell, any time, anywhere!
    Small Faces, c.1967.

I guess I’m just an old fart …..

johndoh
    Free Member

Another one (and this might be a little controversial, but they were good back then)….

U2 at Red Rocks on the War tour (where they recorded the ‘Under a Blood Red Sky’ album).

40mpg

Busted at Broadlands, Romsey in 2004 – yes really!

My daughter was desperate to go (then 9 years old). Wasnt my thing so sent her off with her grandad. It was her first gig, she went on to be a music photographer, all started there – she still talks about it!

And I missed it, what a dick!

johndoh
    Free Member

Busted

One of the original members of Busted (KiFi) is the son of Scott Fitzgerald (who was runner up to Celine Dion in the Eurovsion Song Contest). I met Scott when he was the in-house entertainment on a ferry from Newcastle to Bergen. We got very drunk together.

DezB
    Free Member

LCD Soundsystem at Madison Square Garden in 2011

Much rather have seen one of their small gigs, like erm, Brighton Concorde, August 2004. Oh yeah, I did. Amazing it was. 😀

iffoverload
    Free Member

Kate Bush, Hammersmith Odeon ’79

hodgynd
    Free Member

Probably Led Zep at Knebworth (73 ?)..
    Saw ACDC with Bon Scott early 70’s at The Mayfair in Newcastle ..as I did with Sabbath ..and Queen when they were a rock band and not a bubble gum pop group ..( both City Hall,Newcastle ..
    My other regret is not seeing Free with Paul Kossof ..( did see Bad Company in their original format though ) ..

chewkw
    Free Member

The Carpenters
    ABBA
    Blondie
    Elvis Presley (just to see the hysterical screams from the audience).

masterdabber
    Free Member

I went to see Queen (A Night at the Opera) at the Hammersmith Odeon back in early December 1975 (not the Christmas Eve one). Even got the programme autographed by all four as a result of a work colleague being a neighbour of Roger Taylor.
    I’d love to relive that.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Legendary Beatboxer Rahzel in the Toucan Club in Cardiff…

Was a bit of a last minute thing on a weeknight and rushed over to the venue after work, where some friends were already queuing. Got to chatting and some other friends turned up; as we were getting closer to the bouncer, word got out that the venue was almost at capacity; the friends that got there after me had somehow wriggled their way ahead, but the friends who were there first were behind, so I let them go 1st, only to find that I was the 1st of the over capacity missers out. Stood there chatting to the bouncer for a good half hour as the rest of the unsuccessful queuers dispersed, before finally coming to the realization that I wasn’t gonna get in.

Obviously, if I went back in time, I’d wangle it so I and the friends that were there 1st got in and the other cheeky buggers had to stand outside for a few minutes, wondering what karmic incident had triggered their anguish.

DezB
    Free Member

Just read in Debbie Harry’s autobiography that women at early Iggy gigs would throw their knickers at him and then sit with their legs parted. So one of those gigs, awesome music, plus support act 😀

frankconway

hodgy – sounds like we were at the same AC/DC gig at the Mayfair.
    So many other memorable gigs there – Rod and The Faces with the original line-up and Rory Gallager on his first tour after the demise of Taste were stand-outs.
    As for the City Hall….Pink Floyd with a giant trainset in the aisles, Lindisfarne on Christmas Eve, The Tubes, Loudon Wainwright and so many more.
    Other great venues in town were the student unions at the uni and what was then the poly – super cheap beer at both.
    Long time ago…..

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cher.

Someone had to do it and I’ve lost patience waiting for someone else to post it. 😆

sadmadalan

Meatloaf just after the Bat Out of Hell album and early Elvis Costello

kayak23

Would love to have seen Joe Cocker back in his heyday. Never mind though, still time I guess. 😊👍 🎤

loughor
    Free Member

Thin Lizzy with Robertson anywhere or anytime 👍

ChrisL

I’d like to have seen Dire Straits live, specifically their original line-up. I am too young to have seen them then and even at the end of their run (and in a much less interesting form in my opinion) it would still have been pretty difficulty for me to see them.

Other than that I’d have liked to see Sparklehorse more times. I saw them live quite a few times, but still, I wish I could have seen them more.

Cougar

For me, without a doubt, the original Live Aid

Exactly my thought before I opened the thread.

There’s probably merit in a companion “epic gigs you were at” thread?

sirromj

I went to Glastonbury in 93 stood watching Jamarquai who weren’t quite my thing so decided to take a visit to my tent and due to the crowds consequently missed the Verve who were my favourite band at the time. So would go back to see that.
    Would like to see the orb gig where they blew the windows out the club (so I was led to believe).
    Never went to a proper illegal rave in the woods or a field, somewhere around 91 or 92.

johndoh
    Free Member

Glastonbury

consequently missed the Verve

A similar story, I was there in 2015 and was sat in the tent nursing a hangover on the Saturday morning when I heard someone playing The Charlatans very loudly nearby. It wasn’t until way too late that I realised it was actually THE The Charlatans doing the secret Saturday morning slot. FFS.

Northwind

Donington Monsters of Rock 1994. I was just getting into rock and metal, and this was all broadcast on Radio 1- it probably ended up being the most important day for me in getting into the music and finding bands and that, and I wasn’t even there. I taped it all and played the tapes to death. So many bands I still love.

senorj

Add to my list,LED Zep ,ideally one in a smaller venue &anywhere for the 67stax European tour that Otis did.

hodgynd
    Free Member

@frankconway ..yeah you’re not wrong about it being a while ago ..
    Lindisfarne Christmas shows were legendary in this part of the world I dont think I was ever at a Christmas eve bash but did see them on successive years ( they played for 5 consecutive nights for a few years on the trot ..its where I first saw the best support group I ever did see ..Genesis ..Foxtrot had just come out and they were last minute stand-in for Stackridge who couldn’t make it for some reason ( shame ) …
    That started my love affair with that group up to the point of Trick of the Tail ..they just weren’t the same without Peter Gabriel ..I never missed a gig in Newcastle ..
    Other Mayfair notables ..Thin Lizzy with Eric Bell on the ” Vagabonds” tour ..SAHB ..White Heat ( final gig ..local band )..and a weird one ..Hamilton Bohannon ..Disco Stomp
    Not really into his music ..but every fit looking young lady in Newcastle must have been there ..
    If I could throw one more in that I would love to see again ..ELP Tarkus tour which was in the Odeon Newcastle oh and Pink Floyd at Earl’s Court on the Division Bell tour ..had VIP tickets for that one😉👍

frankconway

hodgy – I’d forgotten about ELP at the Odeon on Pilgrim Street……

mossimus
    Free Member

+1 for Stone Roses, did they tour when Fools Gold came out at the end of 1989? Would have liked to see them in a decent venue then rather than Spike Island.

No idea if this was after Fools Gold but went to see a local band International Resque at the Majestic in Reading sometime in 89, they were supporting some band I had never heard of called the Stone Roses. Loved them ever since.

chakaping
    Free Member

Another one that would be right up there: Can when they’d just put Ege Bamyasi out in 1972. Maybe supported by Neu! if that could be arranged.

No idea if this was after Fools Gold

I’m not that fussy TBH, any time in 1989 would have been OK.

nick1962
    Free Member

Club venues over stadium gigs every time for me but would make an exception for Wattstax.
    Early Doors gigs,some of the “Happenings” as portrayed in the Electric Kool Aid acid test,the prohibiton of LSD gig in San Fran in 1967,early Pink Floyd happenings in 66/67,the Beatles Hamburg.Any of Dylan’s early gigs.Mainly so I could rub it in to the Dylanophiles and say I saw him at the start ofhis career and he was ok but I reckon if he would be better off going electric…

piha
    Free Member

The Doors +1

Having the opportunity to fully immerse oneself into a live rendition of Light My Fire (amongst others) must have been quite some experience.

Scapegoat

Pink Floyd Division Bell tour (Pulse 1994). I had tickets, but got seriously mangled in a bike accident and couldn’t go.

fatoldgit

I’m old enough and lucky enough to have seen most bands I wanted to but 2 I missed out on and would love to have seen are
    Led Zeppelin
    and
    Bob Marley
    I don’t mind where or when….

LAT

The Doors at The Whisky a Go Go. Especially if Love were on the line up on the same night.

theboatman
    Free Member

The Sundays and the Throwing Muses at Trent Poly in 1989. I went for pre gig drinks in Russell’s and as I left for the gig about a 100 yards down the road from the venue I was run over from behind by a drunk man on a mobility scooter, broke my ankle and ended up in an ambulance on the gas and air being carted off to a&e. My 16 year old self had the biggest crush on Harriet Wheeler from the Sundays, I was gutted.

cinnamon_girl

Dr Feelgood’s original line-up;

Which was?

ELP Tarkus tour

That was amazing! Can’t remember where I saw this, probably London.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘If you could go back in time, what gig would you want to see?’ is closed to new replies.