Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • If you clean the inside of your tyres before using sealant, what do you use?…
  • Poopscoop

After having big problems with stans sealant I’m going caffelatex sealant this time.

Doing it all by the book, just like I did with stans but wondered what you clean the silicone type stuff off with in the tyre, of if indeed you do?

I have some Isopropyl alcohol? Or just use some washing liquid?

Thanks guys!

mrhoppy

I don’t bother.

Yak

Washing up liquid, once round with a scourer and rinse off.

Poopscoop

Yak, sounds like a plan, cheers!

jekkyl

why would you need/want to?

Yak

Some tyres have a lot of release agent still on them. This can slow the sealing up process, especially if you have porous sidewalls, eg older spesh, conti etc. It doesn’t make a difference for some tyres.

Poopscoop

jekkyl

why would you need/want to?

I tend to agree, but after the issues I had with stans some puddle said to make sure the inner of the tyre is clean needle before using sealant… So doing it just in case….

Onzadog
    Free Member

Its mould release agent. Quick squirt of IPA for me. Then tyre soap for mounting rather than washing up liquid.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sudocrem

weeksy

Nothing. Ever. New or old tyre.

malv173
    Free Member

From reading a few things recently, Stan’s is a natural latex based product, whereas Caffelatex is a synthetic latex based sealant. They don’t mix well, allegedly, so that would mean cleaning them out if you don’t want to buy a new tyre as well as a new bottle of sealant. Presume the soapy water advice will do the trick adequately. I’m thinking of doing the same, as a LBS sold me some OKO Magic Milk sealant. If you like waiting two days for your punctures to repair themselves it’s pretty much the business. By which, I mean, it’s shit.

Poopscoop

No, won’t be missing the 2 latex, the caffe going into a different, new tyre.

chiefgrooveguru

IPA

trout
    Free Member

if you were out of pale ale. would any beer do the trick

the00
    Free Member

Is this a candidate for the most STW thread ever (without mentioning audi, bombers, wee in shoes etc.)

Poopscoop

Is this a candidate for the most STW thread ever (without mentioning audi, bombers, wee in shoes etc.)

Lol,  you might be right thinking about it! 😄

lesgrandepotato

Nothing. Maybe a tea towel if very muddy

DezB
    Free Member

a tea towel if very muddy

How does the inside of a tyre get very muddy?

Only time I’ve ever cleaned the inside of a tyre is to get rid of old sealant. And that’s usually a pick pick pick peel job 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Eunuch semen.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘If you clean the inside of your tyres before using sealant, what do you use?…’ is closed to new replies.