Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • If you are allowed just one bike
  • simonp
    Free Member

So, out of curiosity after I read a lot of “which bike is best” threads and the frustration that ensues in the replies, I am going to ask that question, but with a different spin.

If you were only allowed one bike (for whatever reason, cost, space, spouse!) what would you go for? Be it hardtail or full suss, what sort of bik? i.e. fast racy style or more stable, and what sort of travel? Would you sacrifice speed on flatter rides to be able to fly on descents etc?

Just curious..

madhouse

Full suss, relaxed, 120mm …. oh hang on, that’s my current bike 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Seven cycles Sola.

Digger90
    Free Member

It would have to be a CX bike.

Can ride road, trails, everything on it.

Wouldn’t be much fun on a lot of trails, but if only 1 bike for the rest of my life… well, that wouldn’t be much fun at all.

speaker2animals

Personally I’d go for a rigid or HT 29er. That way it would have a reasonable turn of speed on the road with a tyre swap, but at the same time fully useable off road too.

lunge

Up until 6 months ago I would have said a good steel hardtail. With my new found love of the road I now think a CX bike.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

+1 for CX i’ve been riding a SS CX for the last couple of months since my mtb got nicked and I’m seriously considering not bothering to replace it as I’m riding 90% of what I used to on my mtb. If I do it would be a 29er…

taxi25
    Free Member

As I ride Mtb and road you’d think a cross bike would be my choice. But I couldn’t keep up with off road rides on it and struggle with group road rides as well. I’d give up road riding an have a lightweight short travel mtb, at least I could ride cross with it come winter.

jota180
    Free Member

A 1975 MV Agusta 750 Sport

simonp
    Free Member

Ah, I left something out, I had not really thought of road bikes as I hate riding on the road (too amy years driving and seeing how cyclist are treated!) I was meaning one “mountain bike”, but maybe including everything might net more interesting results.

ahwiles
    Free Member

If you are allowed just one bike

i would cry.

Bregante

If you were only allowed one bike

What sort of twisted mind came up with that idea? Have you gone mad?

stumpyjon

I’b be keeping my Stumpjumper FSR and the hard tail, rigid and road bike would have to go 😥

daveb
    Free Member

My Cotic Soda as its brilliant

Northwind

Something vaguely Hemlocky I guess- a big bike that can ride small stuff without making it feel rubbish. Something I can do XC loops and downhill races on.

But I would miss having a specific road-use bike very much and tbh there’d be no good argument for not having one- not space nor cost, since it could live outside and it costs nothing to run.

falkirk-mark

orange 5, I am surprised it took that long to be suggested

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Surly Cross Check, absolutely awesome. Fit some road tyres and its great on the road, fit some off road tyres and you can go off road. Stamp the pedals hard and you get about 2 inches of travel aswell. Its a true do it all bike.

jimjam
    Free Member

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a short travel full suss in my 2004 Mount Vision, a longer travel ‘all mountain’ bike in my Wolf Ridge and a road type bike in my Boardman Hybrid.
    I’d choose the Wolf Ridge in a heartbeat. It’s simply much better for playing around on than the Mount Vision even though it’s slower uphill etc, and i’d just have to give up road riding!

yodagoat
    Free Member

1150GS for me.

Cycling on the roads for puffs, so are CX bikes.

simonp
    Free Member

If you are allowed just one bike
    i would cry.

Welcome to my world…

steezysix
    Free Member

What sort of twisted mind came up with that idea?

Obviously you’re not married. Or you are, and your wife is a saint.

nealy
    Free Member

First world problems 😆

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

A hard tail MTB. Most fun = Best bike
    I have only ever run one bike at a time anyway

avdave2

Cannondale Bad Boy Rohloff, not that they seem to make it any more, and in carbon with the option of a belt drive. I ride a rigid Rohloff bike in the winter and a geared hardtail in the summer. I commute off road all year round so I want something that needs as little maintenance as the rigid bike but with a bit of suspension for longer rides.

jota180
    Free Member

well, my wife is a saint but that has nothing to do with what bikes I may or may not have
    as long as they’re affordable, why would she have any interest at all?

5 ish push bikes and 4 motorbikes here 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

cx

aftershock
    Free Member

Scott Genius, 150mm Full Suspension with handlebar lockout that locks rear suspension and shortens front suspension.

The ultimate all rounder.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you were only allowed one bike

MADNESS

I would either have a 456 with 140 forks
    or a FS [ orange 5 type] and tolerate it being overkill most of the time

I dont care about your rules I am having a separate road bike as if not i would have to ride rigid off road NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO

takisawa2

My SIR9. I’ve only had two proper rides on it & its brilliant.

Bregante

What sort of twisted mind came up with that idea?

Yes. I am. Yes she is. And you need to grow some balls 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Easy – Jones Spaceframe

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Disc-braked CX bike for sure.

But ONE bike? What a ridiculous concept…

ssboggy

Singular Swift, love it

Trimix
    Free Member

The one I have now. Transition Covert.

Works best at riding up and down mountains – anything else is not really mountain biking.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

My Last Herb FR (or the new 160). as per this but with some pro II/ flow wheels and Bos Devilles.

jameso

A Jones. Easy.. It could replace all my bikes from the winter road bike through to the CX bike and the MTBs. Pretty much has, there’s dust on a few of them already. I’d miss the light road bike, but not that much.

neninja
    Free Member

I’m in that position. In 2010 had a 100mm carbon hardtail, 100mm FS and 140mm FS.
    Sold them all and went to a single FS. Luckily it’s adjustable from 88-129mm at the rear and has a 110/140 Talas fork so it does all the things the 3 bikes did before.

a11y

Nah, struggling to imagine it. But if I had to, something like my 456 Summer Season but a good bit lighter (ti?) and with an adjustable up-to-150mm fork. I’ve lived without a full-suss in the past but I couldn’t live without a hardtail.

chiefgrooveguru

I do – this:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘If you are allowed just one bike’ is closed to new replies.