• This topic has 25 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by scud.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • If Tonka made bikes (new build)
  • scud
    Free Member

Posted this previously on the UK Fat Bikes Forum, but thought it might be of interest to a few on here. Built this having found a very cheap frame in the Jan. sales at Billys.

2012 Mukluk with Carver carbon forks, Hope hubs built on Robbson rims with Knard tyres, trying it at the moment with 1×10 and One Up adaptor, but have the bits to fit a granny ring if needed. Cranks are £18 ebay bargain Raceface Diabolous with black anodizing stripped off using Oven Pride. Wheels were built by Andy of this parish and a grand job he did to, brings a smile to my face everytime I ride it (or just look at it!)

I know that there are some that knock fat bikes as a novelty, but I live in North Norfolk, there is little decent MTBing, but what we do have is endless beaches.

rOcKeTdOg

Looks a lot of fun, who cares the uninitiated take the pee, fun is the bottom line

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ll knock the number of spacers on aesthetic grounds, but not the fat bike thing 😉

Nice build, nice beaches, lots of win.

sandwicheater

Van could do with a clean.

scud
    Free Member

A few of the spacers have since disappeared, steerer was uncut for most of those pics.

With regards to the van, it is the dirt that is holding it together, MOT is end of April and i think it is going to Berlingo heaven..

1981miked
    Free Member

Nice bike! Look great with the silver hubs and cranks. Happy pedalling.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

First pic Wells next the sea? Lovely place

How do you find the fork with low pressure in the front? I get some frankly dangerous self-steer with anything under 7 or 8 psi with the same fork on my on-one Fatty

scud
    Free Member

I find it alright, i run 9psi in the back and 8 at front, but the Mukluk has a less “trail” more “snow” geometry than the On One Fatty, so guess that makes a difference, the head angle is steeper and i think that helps the slow speed turning (but i’m no expert at all!)

And it is Wells, i live just down the road and it is great on a fat bike, strange though before the storms a few months back there were big 30ft high dunes, they have all but been washed away, many of the beach huts are either damaged or brand new. There is one for sale at £60k and I can’t help but think that is a lot of cash for a shed on stilts that could get washed away!

cvilla

V Nice:) any idea what it weighs? I ‘test’ rode a Caribou up Garburn, 1×10 = hard work, but well over 30lbs, just wondering like…goes and checks savings….

40mpg

Looks great – what rims are those, I’m guessing the On-One rims and self drilled?

I get some frankly dangerous self-steer with anything under 7 or 8 psi with the same fork on my on-one Fatty

I get this with On-One forks on my fatty, but fine over 9psi on front. Not a problem as long as you are expecting it!

toys19
    Free Member

WANT.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Ta, I did wonder if my fatty was particularly evil in this respect as it can be alarming on the road. Glad to hear they’re all like that 🙂

Seeing those Wells pics makes me want to chuck it in the car and go play in the sand dunes

scud
    Free Member

Rims are from this company in Germany (about £35 each from memory)

http://www.robsson.de/en/

Built onto Hope Fatsno hubs and drilled by the mate that built them.

Weight is about 31.8ibs at present, the cranks are just about the heaviest you can get, but i need to do it tubeless which should knock about another pound off.

I had a go on a Caribou as well at LBS and this feels a few pounds lighter.

scud
    Free Member

@ Mrbelowski, if you do ever wanna come this way and ride at Wells give me a shout, are you local??

mrbelowski
    Free Member

‘Fraid not fella – the kids love the place, we’ve been on holiday there a few times but it’s a 3 hour drive. Not sure I’d be too popular chucking the fatty on the roof and spending the holiday beach riding while the missus looks after the nippers 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

We need a wheelie shot 😉

1-shed
    Free Member

That all looks great, not jealous at all.

scud
    Free Member

Bikebouy, i can’t wheelie a “normal” fat chance on a fat bike..

letmetalktomark

Looks great.

Can’t wait to build my Puffin.

I’ve had the wheels since November!

Where did you get the No Shox decals?

Jamie
    Free Member

You ride on the beach. I’ll allow it.

matt_outandabout

That is a pleasing looking bike.

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t mean to be pedantic, but Tonka does make bikes apparently….

Grizla
    Free Member

I took my fatty to Norfolk, and rode it around on the beach.
    It’s not flowy or swoopy but it was great riding along the surfline.

That was the only time i’ve felt justified in owning a fat bike.

ChrisL

Tonka? I was expecting something bright yellow, and optionally as prone to rust as a “classic” Alfa Romeo.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bikebouy, i can’t wheelie a “normal” fat chance on a fat bike..

Awe, is dissapoint 😐

scud
    Free Member

Now if only i’d known Tonka made fat full sus bikes! Reckon they could scale one up for this portly gent?

@Letmetalktomark No Shox decals from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-ROCK-SHOX-STYLE-NO-SHOX-STICKERS-/220780741623

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘If Tonka made bikes (new build)’ is closed to new replies.