Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • If they can't sing the national anthem they shouldn't play
  • donsimon
    Free Member

To a degree I agree, I used to be quite proud of Vinnie Jones beacause he took the time to learn the words and sing the anthem with gusto. Maybe the OP is on to something.

nonk
    Free Member

Why do folk’s say that Rooney is thick? the guy has an aptitude for something that has made him for life.
    Can you say the same?
    Seems like a very narrow view of what it is to be intelligent to me.

On the national anthem front i would rather we had freedom of choice.

Stuey01
    Free Member

You’re right TJ, the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish should sing god save the queen as well.

The unpatriotic ****. 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

At any medal ceremony I can think of that I’ve ever seen – the Olympics, track cycling, formula 1, etc – everyone, whatever their nationality, observes the national anthem in silence.

Must be that they’re all a bit embarrassed of what they’ve achieved?? Not proud of representing the country??

Jog on.

brakes
    Free Member

gggggooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!l11111oneoneone

Tom83

Get in!

Junkyard
    Free Member

😀 @stuey

Why do folk’s say that Rooney is thick? the guy has an aptitude for something that has made him for life.
    Can you say the same?
    Seems like a very narrow view of what it is to be intelligent to me.

are you confusing intelligence and the ability to do something physically…that seems a bit dumb tbh.
    Do you know the capital of Peru NO but watch me hammer this nail in dead intelligent me.

brakes
    Free Member

Do you know the capital of Peru

P innit

surlynot
    Free Member

…Lima….thats like a monkey isn’t it? 😉

alpin
    Free Member

that is the first time in my 28 years that i have ever seen and read the lyrics to God Save Our Queen…..

i half-heartedly agree with the OP, but the idea of a god saving our queen grates me.

i find it not very british at all….

juan
    Free Member

Well considering several things…
    I am jobless
    I am french
    I have a very big sledge hammer with one edge on one side
    How much are you willing to give me to get rid of this queen problem of yours…

yunki
    Free Member

what about Jerusalem..? That’s a bit more palatable..

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you know the capital of Peru NO but watch me hammer this nail in dead intelligent me.

I can answer the answer to the first part (ex girlfriend from there), hammering a nail might not be intelligent (not hitting your thumb, yes), but recognising that through decent marketing and TV rights could make nail hitting an international success and therefore a viable career choice is quite intelligent.

fenred
    Free Member

juan – Member

Well considering several things…
    I am jobless
    I am french
    I have a very big sledge hammer with one edge on one side
    How much are you willing to give me to get rid of this queen problem of yours…

Posted 1 minute ago #Report-Post

Not a penny…**** off back to France and get a job there. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think England should adopt jeruslem – especially for rugby. It stirring, it speaks of the many differnt Englands.

donsimon
    Free Member

And Tandem would sing along too, just like the good little Englishman he is.

rkk01
    Free Member

It’s the national anthem,

No it bloody well isn’t – not for that team anyway

donsimon
    Free Member

I do believe he was actually ON side. 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think England should adopt jeruslem – especially for rugby. It stirring, it speaks of the many differnt Englands.

Stirring music, but dark, dark words! Would be much like the way the Merkins have adopted “Born in the USA” without ever really listening to it! 😉

lynchmob
    Free Member

so every footballer for england 1. has to believe in god & 2 believe in the royal bullshit that scrounge are money.
    why should he sing it. maybe he hates the fact that the royals get free tickets where everyone on who pays there money has to also pay for there tickets & since when has football had anything to do with them inbreds. i get more offended by the idiots that sing it. just play the game

rkk01
    Free Member

Living in Wales – never heard anyone complain about singing the National Anthem…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not a penny…**** off back to France and get a job there

What a lovely attitude. Makes one feel so proud to be British, eh? 🙄

GSTQ is one of the crappest national anthems in the World. Load of jingoistic insular sentimental bilge. Hearing it makes me feel ashamed to be British/English, not proud. And who TF is anyone, I mean ANYONE, to tell me that I should sing it if I’m proud to be British? Eh? What happened to freedom and democracy and stuff? The idea of having to pledge alleigance to someone who rules by ‘divine right’ is abhorrent enough, without all the crap of ‘if you don’t sing it you’re a disgrace’ type garbage I’m reading on here. You want to sing it, up to you. I just don’t feel it’s a decent anthem for our nation. And growing numbers of folk agree with me.

I’m as proud to be British as anyone; I just don’t see the need to hide behind some misguided slavish sense of ‘patriotism’. It’s nice to have a good song to sing, to feel part of a team, a people, a nation, but I don’t see why it has to be GSTQ and why anyone should feel compelled to sing it.

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Dr. Samuel Johnson

schmiken

The English national anthem is Jerusalem (or Land of Hope and Glory),
    Scottish is Fhlùir na h-Alba (Flower of Scotland),
    Welsh is Hen wlad fy nhadau (Land of my Fathers),
    Northern Ireland is A Londonderry Air.
    The UK’s national anthem is God Save the Queen.

And I agree with the OP – you know the camera will be scanning your face so why not learn the words for the few games you actually play for the country rather than standing there looking like a pillock.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

fontmoss
    Free Member

what he should mouth is something entirely random like twinkle twinkle little star

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

In the spirit of this thread……….

I think that so called ‘brass band’ that pays utter sHHite all the way through matches should be lined up and shot!!!!!

souldrummer
    Free Member

TBH I have never understood the need to sing any national anthem before a match. As far as I can remember the Welsh were the first to do so but what exactly is the point..to pump the team up?? If they need that rather than pulling on the shirt something is wrong.

RustySpanner

You can bugger right off with ‘Jerusalem’, boring, tedious, pompous, pseudo religious dirge that it is.

We want something that will make our lot feel invincible and scare the gravy out of Johnny Foreigner.

I suggest ‘Killed by Death’ by Motorhead, or ‘Brute Force and Ignorance’ by Rory Gallagher, complete with air guitar and moshing.

Neither were written by an Englishman, but would work a treat.

ocrider

Elfin +1

I think England should adopt jeruslem

Replace royalist religious nonsense with religious nonsense? No thanks matey.
    Billy Connelly had it right when he suggested the theme tune to the Archers for GB. No words to worry about and a lively upbeat jauntyness to it.

kimbers

yup national anthem is utter bollox imo
    wtf believe in god anyway? its 2011 not the dark ages

i cant stand jeruselum either the lyrics annoy me because they are so ridiculous

personally id like something that gets people pumped up not bores the tits off em

i nominate
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw[/video]

philconsequence
    Free Member

never sung the anthem in my life, horrible song, horrible lyrics, offensive to many of my sensibilities.

would rather the teams shouted ‘ENGERLLAHND, ENGERLANHHHND!! COME ON THEN!!!!’ like thugs.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The best post yet:

I propose that they sing an appropriate song depending on who they are playing against. Cunningly, this will unnerve the opposition. For example: Germany = “Dad’s Army theme”

Or could be Noel Coward’s “Let not be beastly to the Germans”?

More suggestions please!!

Easy Girl – it would be nice if there was a manager who knew the anthem as well. The contrast between footie and rugby could keep the social anthropologists and psychologists busy for life!!

I was educated in Scotland when FoS was nothing more that a rugby song for the showers/bar. When did such drivel become a National Anthem? I agree that England should use an alternative anthem (Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory etc).

As for bizarre words – translate the French anthem!!

Nothing beats Land of My Fathers sung at Cardiff – especially when Wales are playing England at rugby.

BoardinBob

I’m sure Wayne’s at home crying into his millions at the thought of disgruntled cycling pedants criticising him.

organic355
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ[/video]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Wayne shitebag Rooney standing there with his poncey new hairstyle not singing national anthem, winds me up every time”

You need to chill out abit.

If however Rooney was in some way mocking the anthem or sticking 2 fingers up at it then that would be disrespectful to an old out dated custom that happens at the start of football matches.

If I go to church for a wedding/funeral/christening etc etc I dont sing or pray as I dont beleive in it. However I am their as I respect the their views, and they have asked me to be part of their day.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I think the national anthem should be something that everyone can relate to and loves, such a ‘Angels’ by Robert Williams.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d like sympathy for the devil as the national anthem. The crowd could join in with the woo woo bits.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

GlitterGary – as long as the English football team do try to sing “let me entertain you”!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

teamhurtmore 😆

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I don’t believe in God but I do in a democratic republic England. God save the Queen? LOL

Besides maybe Rooney is mentally preparing for the match.

Rooney thick? Earning millions? He’s not thick nor is he a scientist.

We should sing something from Lady GaGa!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘If they can't sing the national anthem they shouldn't play’ is closed to new replies.