Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 324 total)
  • if there was a vote to bring back the death sentence?
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

would you

jam-bo

No, but I’d put a bet on it going through.

keefmac

No, but I can imagine a lot who would.

jekkyl

Nope. Not a chance. Did you have anyone in mind Op? Mother in law perhaps?

chewkw
    Free Member

If there was a vote I would vote Yes.

100% Yes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

er no it has no place in a civilised world.

jamj1974

No.

nickc

If there is a vote I would vote Yes.

to the surprise of no one

No- the state has no business murdering it’s citizens for revenge

chewkw
    Free Member

to the surprise of no one

No- the state has no business murdering it’s citizens for revenge

I think there should be a referendum on this don’t you think so?

😀

tmass91
    Free Member

100% yes. This country is far too soft. Knew someone who’s husband was killed by a drunk driver whilst walking to work. The driver received 8 years If I can remember correctly. It was definitely no more than 10. The convicted laughed after she was sentenced. He left two little girls behind. No space in this world for ****’* like that.

franksinatra

Categorically no.  But there are enough stupid people around to vote yes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This country is far too soft. Knew someone who’s husband was killed by a drunk driver whilst walking to work.

Find me some evidence that it works or do you just want revenge?

chewkw
    Free Member

Find me some evidence that it works or do you just want revenge?

Nothing wrong with revenge as far as I know as long as it is within the law.

ads678

No. You can’t bring people back to life that have been wrongly convicted.  Too many mistakes in the past.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

God no. How many times have the police and the CPS got things wrong? How many innocent people would have been killed?

Do you really want to live in a barbaric country like america?

tmass91
    Free Member

I have no evidence I admit. I am merely assuming that it would lessen serious offenses due to the extreme nature of the punishment. Maybe it would make people think about doing such heinous crimes prior to committing them. Again yes, your right. A huge part of me wants revenge when something affects you or your family so deeply!

SaxonRider

Absolutely not. I certainly think that there may be times when justice is done a disservice due to lenient sentencing, but even for that I would say no.

The Jamie Bulger murderers are an example. One of the worst crimes I have ever come across, and yet I can not see how more death satisfies death.

poah
    Free Member

No. It is barbaric and not a deterrent.

Just look at the countries that have the death penalty.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have no evidence I admit. I am merely assuming that it would lessen serious offenses due to the extreme nature of the punishment.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

It’s a common assumption that is proved wrong a lot.

Cougar

As much as there are plenty of people I’d like to see hanged,

Of course not.  The problem with capital punishment is that it’s so very, very final.  People can and do get wrongly convicted.

maccruiskeen

I have no evidence I admit. I am merely assuming that it would lessen serious offenses due to the extreme nature of the punishment.

Perhaps that explains why theres such low levels of violent crime in the USA 🙂

athgray
    Free Member

Absolutely not.

Also the British public should not be trusted with this issue in a referendum either.

stevious

No. It doesn’t work as a deterrent, is irreversible and also a repugnant thing to do as a society.

nickc

I am merely assuming that it would lessen serious offenses due to the extreme nature of the punishment.

you assume wrongly. There’s no evidence to support it.

I can’t believe that anyone with an ounce of intelligence could think a death penalty is a “good thing”

BoardinBob

Nothing wrong with revenge as far as I know as long as it is within the law.

Shut up you absolute clown shoe. Go and crawl back under whatever rock you’ve been banned to recently. The sooner you get a lifetime ban, the better.

spooky_b329

No, but those in long term imprisonment should be put to work and earn their keep.  Not something to keep them occupied, but proper work that benefits society.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can’t believe that anyone with an ounce of intelligence could think a death penalty is a “good thing”

It comes to emotion and a sense of injustice. When people see what appears to be lenient sentences or don’t get legal judgements they look to something different. It then boils down to revenge and anger.

zippykona

No but I’m pretty sure we’d be promised 350 million quid for the nhs if we did.

bigyim
    Free Member

Ill the take the bait. If there is evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt then yes.

Yes it’s partly revenge but I think locking someone in a cage for 20 years is revenge too. I think some people who are career criminals are never going to change and will just have more scumbag kids who will follow the same pattern.

If a dog keeps biting people it gets put down but people can go to jail over and over and over again and we keep letting them out expecting them to be “fixed”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If a dog keeps biting people it gets put down but people can go to jail over and over and over again and we keep letting them out expecting them to be “fixed”

How about investing in rehabilitation and working on the things that have taken people that far down a road?

Some bigger questions to be asked in society like the war on drugs and what the cost of that is.

taxi25
    Free Member

Although I believe the death penalty represents justice in some instances. The chance of miscarriages of justice and the brutalising effect it has on a society make it a no for me.

teethgrinder

You’d have to be a gammon-shaped **** to vote yes in a referendum on capital punishment.

nealglover
    Free Member

And the reverse is also true.

As displyed here.

bearnecessities

Mike, is there any topic you don’t have an opinion on? 🙂

Edit: And Mick, you may have well hit the jackpot with this one!

bigyim
    Free Member

I agree with rehab and trying to fix issues before it comes to a situation where someone is murdered but what about people who are beyond help and have been in and out of jail all their life? When do you draw a line and say we aren’t letting you back out because we know you will re offend

whitestone
    Free Member

Albert Pierrepoint (perhaps the best known British hangman) was asked if he thought the death penalty was a deterrent. His answer was unequivocally: No! Given that the best estimate of the number he executed was over 400 he might have a better insight than most.

andy4d

For me, in limited circumstances I would vote yes.

nickc

but I think locking someone in a cage for 20 years is revenge too

No, it isn’t its two things 1. a punishment for the criminal, and 2. to remove them from society. Plus there is rehabilitation and the chance to rejoin society*

* I’m aware that doesn’t really work in this country now, but’s that’s down to chronic under-funding of the prison service than any philosophical shortcoming

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mike, is there any topic you don’t have an opinion on?

Ask a question get an answer…..

When do you draw a line and say we aren’t letting you back out because we know you will re offend

Start by working out where your rehab is going wrong.

tpbiker
    Free Member

If it was me.who had committed the crime Id much.rather be strung up than face the rest of my days in jail, with no possibility of release

So without even considering the pretty important element of wrongful convictions, on that basis im against it…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 324 total)

The topic ‘if there was a vote to bring back the death sentence?’ is closed to new replies.