• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cole.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • If my car tyres are 205 65 R15 is there any reason why …
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

I can’t use 195 65 R15s on the same rims?

Markie
    Free Member

Well, the difference in diameter is 2.19% according to http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator (note that you’ll have to adjust the bottom ‘difference’ box up to 2.5% in order to compare your two given sizes in the list).

When I was looking at winter tyres I read that you’re best keeping the difference in diameter minimal, certainly less than 1%.

I did no checking on this ‘fact’ – it seemed reasonable to me and so that’s what I did – changed rim size in order to get cheaper tyres, but kept the diameter as near the same as possible.

deano8
    Free Member

From being a boy racer all those years ago I think it goes one size wider and one profile lower.
    To reduce the width of tyre you’d need a higher profile tyre and would have a lot less stability.
    I would imagine there are insurance complications these days for none standard size tyres.
    Personally keep the same size tyres.

oldnick

Going for the stretch eh?

On my old GTI the tyres were 195’s, the standard size for the rims was 205 (all other spec the same) they worked fine but the speedo was a mile out already 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

The first number is the rim width so it not as straightforward as a 195 being 10mm too small for the rim?

nealglover
    Free Member

http://www.willtheyfit.com

This will tell you everything you need to know.

Markie
    Free Member

The first number is the rim width so it not as straightforward as a 195 being 10mm too small for the rim?

I think the first number is tyre width, second is tyre sidewall height as a % of tyre width and third number is the rim diameter?

P20

If you check your handbook, it will tell you the recommended tyre sizes for your car. Insurance companies may get funny if they aren’t one of the specified sizes

nealglover
    Free Member

No, Rim width isn’t mentioned in a tyre size.

porter_jamie

if you look on your tyre label on the car (it is there it’s a legal requirement) you may find that there is a winter tyre option which is homologated for smaller tyre width and sometimes wheel diameter. if it is on the tyre label, it is homologated, and is 100% legal.

johnners
    Free Member

I think the first number is tyre width

Ah, of course it is, thanks. The new tyre will still be 10mm smaller than the one that came off though. Isn’t that a problem?

nealglover
    Free Member

If it’s a 6″ rim then 195 is bang on, 205 would be on the maximum.

If it’s a 6.5″ rim then 195 or 205 will both be fine.

If it’s a 7″ rim then 195 would be on the minimum and 205 would be bang on.

nealglover
    Free Member

Rim width Min tyre Ideal tyre Max tyre
    5,0 Inches 155 mm 165 or 175 mm 185 mm
    5,5 Inches 165 mm 175 or 185 mm 195 mm
    6,0 Inches 175 mm 185 or 195 mm 205 mm
    6,5 Inches 185 mm 195 or 205 mm 215 mm
    7,0 Inches 195 mm 205 or 215 mm 225 mm
    7,5 Inches 205 mm 215 or 225 mm 235 mm
    8,0 Inches 215 mm 225 or 235 mm 245 mm
    8,5 Inches 225 mm 235 or 245 mm 255 mm
    9,0 Inches 235 mm 245 or 255 mm 265 mm
    9,5 Inches 245 mm 255 or 265 mm 275 mm
    10,0 Inches 255 mm 265 or 275 mm 285 mm
    10,5 Inches 265 mm 275 or 285 mm 295 mm
    11,0 Inches 275 mm 285 or 295 mm 305 mm
    11,5 Inches 285 mm 295 or 305 mm 315 mm
    12,0 Inches 295 mm 305 or 315 mm 325 mm
    12,5 Inches 305 mm 315 or 325 mm 335 mm

rob-jackson
    Free Member
    KonaTC

It will absolutely fine right up until you have an accident and then… I see you don’t have correct size tires fitted and that’s classed as a modification. Did you tell us that you modified your car? So you need to ask before fitting them.

sad but very true!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The aspect ratio will need to increase to maintain the same rolling circumference. The 65 denotes the tyre wall depth ( the distance between the rim and the edge of the tyre) and basically means the tyre wall depth is 65% of the width I.e. 205mm. So if you go for a narrower tyre your aspect ratio will need to increase to 70 or 75 to maintain your tyre wall width and therefore your rolling circumference. You can do the sums quite easily.

If the rolling circumference is not the same your speedo will be misreading and your odometer will not be clocking up miles at the correct rate. Also it can screw up with your ABS and Traction control, but I think you need to be quite a way off for that.

garage-dweller

Don’t do it. I briefly tried to run a fractionally smaller overall diameter on my track car as the next profile down about 3% circumference difference was much cheaper and tyres only lasted 2 or 3 days So cost was an issue. they absolutely sucked for anything than track use. Speedo was out and engine revved higher and loss o of contact patch only compensated for by very soft rubber.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

…loss o of contact patch only compensated for by very soft rubber.

Within the limits of the tyre/rim width allowed, a narrower tyre will always grip better than the same tyre in a wider fitment on any given width rim. Narrowest tyre on rim for best grip, widest for best comfort.

So, for instance, on a 7.5″ wide wheel, a 195mm wide tyre would grip way better than a 225mm. It’s all down to sidewall support.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

If it helps… The BMW one series takes a 205 55 16 summer tyre, the listed winter tyre size is 195 55 16. Check the manual to ensure its an “approved” tyre size.

Northwind

garage-dweller – Member

Speedo was out and engine revved higher

By 3%. So 2mph at 70 and 150rpm at 5000. This is survivable (and within the range of differences you’ll find between 2 tyres nominally of the same size, standardisation and measurement being a wonderful theory)

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve got 205/55 on my car. It came with 215/55. Both are standard sizes for the car though.

user-removed
    Free Member

No idea if it’s relevant, but the last set of winter tyres I had fitted to my Volvo rub on something when I get full lock. The garage just shrugged and said the tyres were bigger than the old ones, which makes them better value. Apparently.

My turning circle is now akin to a container ship…

cole
    Free Member

When you do downsizing or upsizing, always have in mind a dimension of the OE (Original Equipment) tyre size.
    If you have rims 6 x 15″ there shouldn’t be a problem to downsize and use the tyre dimension 195/65R15.
    Tyre size 195/65R15 circumference is 2% lesser than the circumference for tyre size 205/65R15, which is ok, because this is less than the lower limit for downsizing (-2.5%).
    I’ve used calculators on Tyre Size Calculator

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘If my car tyres are 205 65 R15 is there any reason why …’ is closed to new replies.