Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • If London is the center of the universe . . .
  • chakaping
    Free Member

About 15 miles, can’t be arsed to find out exactly.

Lived in or near London all my life. Used to think I could never move away. Still love it, but could easily live elsewhere now – and will do in a few years.

I don’t need to defend or sell the city to you haters – but I’ve noticed these sort of arguments are always dominated by northern Englishmen with a seemingly disproportionate dislike of the capital.

Do Londoners really bang on that much about how great it is here, or is there another reason for the hatred?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Don’t need to bang on about how Great it is- the vitriol and envy displayed by Non-Believers just proves it even more!

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

According to my now late father-in-law, Mirfield is the centre of the known universe – so this London place where is it

Smee
    Free Member

I went to London a few times. It was shit.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Smee- you won’t be coming back, then? Good..

Smee
    Free Member

Nah – don’t intend to. The folk are a bit crap too. Too stressed and uptight.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Have you met me??

naokfreek
    Free Member

Chiswick for me….22mins on a good day to marble arch.

Smee
    Free Member

Yes.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Really? Then describe me…

(Hmm, stalker alert? 8O)

Smee
    Free Member

Scrawny streak of piss, about 5’10”, dark shortish hair, ugly as sin.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ha!

Wrong! I’m only 5’4 1/2″!!!!

You might be right on the other counts, though! 😆

Smee
    Free Member

Often seen wearing a liverpool top.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

So you read STW a fair bit, and pay a lot of attention to my posts. I’m flattered!

If you really knew me, you would never have been so kind, in your description! 😉

Smee
    Free Member

I was just going for the forming an opinion without knowing the facts option that is so prevalent on STW. 😉

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

London is about 400 miles away from the centre of my universe. Its reassuring to hear that assholes who live in cities DO think they’re in the centre of the universe, reaffirming what we enlightened folk have always known.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Too stressed and uptight?

Oh really, do be quiet.

I’ve just spent a lovely afternoon in the F3K, drinking beer and talking rubbish with all manner of people. It was superb.

London is the finest city around, bar none. Hate it if you like, but it is a superb place.

Smee
    Free Member

Better than Edinburgh?

Nope, didn’t think so.

emac65
    Free Member

About 130 mile.Never been & have no plans to go there in the future either…. 8)

donsimon
    Free Member

If London is the center of the universe . . .

(for the purpose of this post anyway)

Some key words from the OP “if” and “for the purpose….”

I don’t think the suggestion is that London is the centre of the universe, but it is nice to see some tolerance being displayed here. 🙁

cranberry
    Free Member

The only good thing that I can say about London is that it keeps the world’s Londoners in one place.

kimbers

its dirty and overcrowded but until borris we were making headway against the cars! and for a quid i can get a bus to any part of the city 24 hrs a day or take the engineering feat that is the tube all with a wave of my oystercard
    it aint the centre of the mountainbiking universe for sure,
    tho i can do afan and back in a day, aston, north downs, bracknell, chilterns, epping an hours drive
    saying that i can pick from 4 airports or even a train to take me all over the world
    plenty of bike shops and according to tfl 1/4 million cycle journeys every day
    probably is the centre of the clubbing universe, every kind of club you can imagine and plenty you cant going on 24 hours a day 7 days a week
    and then music venues, wembley, O2, brixton academy, hammersmith appolo, balet, royal albert hall, hyde park, alexandra pallace,the globe…
    loads of footy clubs, wimbledon 1 or 2 olympic venues soon velodrome too
    food; veggie, indian, thai, japanese, organic, chinese, mexican french, african,lebanese, new zealand, greek, south african, gourmet burger!, italian, turkish thats just the restaraunts i can think of within 30 min walk of my house
    natural history, science, british, v&a, museums, the tate/ modern gallaries are everywhere too,hamptoon court, the tower, buck palace, the zoo, kew gardens, london wetland centre, hampstead heath, and a load of other huge parks
    the shoping is immense too, we all buy stuff online but i rember my housemate waking me up at 3am coz she desperately needed some A4 paper before the morning, a 20 min walk and she found a shop open, you can get most anything at anytime, camden market is like bladerunner come real, fish markets, farmers markets borough market, you can hear 10 languages on 1 tube journey and chat to girls from 5 continents in 30mins of being on the pull 😈

when youre young and up for it then yes it is the centre of the universe

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I love you kimbers, and want o have your babies! 😀

London is the finest city around, bar none

I also love Cap’n Flashy!

Smee – Member
    Better than Edinburgh?

Nope, didn’t think so.

Actually, my mate, Scottish Kev, cor, he used to slag London off,when he lived here! But he actually confessed to me last year, now that he’s back up in Edinbugger, that he thinks London is better, all round.

I’ll concede you have better hills near there. 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

I used to protest about London being shite having visited a few times, now I’ve lived here for almost six years (in two stints) and think it’s an amazing place to live for all the reasons above and more
    it IS different to anywhere else and I don’t think you can appreciate it until you’ve tried it
    it’s a challenge to live here and sometimes the place really pisses me off, but you can gain an awful lot from living and being here
    my biggest worry now is that when I do move away (when I want to have kids) other places won’t be able to captivate me like London does

johnhoo
    Free Member

if London is the centre of the galaxy, and the theory that there’s a black hole at the centre of the galaxy is true, then there may be something in that…

petrieboy

40 minutes from kings cross – avoid the place as far as possible tho!

colnagokid

275miles as a crow would fly, often visit to stay with my sis’ in her flash north London “gaff”, and I love to visit the place and I suppose I could enjoy living there. Oh and I’m from the North!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, I’ll say one thing; at least we don’t have avalanches here… 🙄

Night, all.

X

kimbers

i agree with brakes
    when i have kids ill leave, but i worry no other place can offer me so much

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t need to defend or sell the city to you haters – but I’ve noticed these sort of arguments are always dominated by northern Englishmen with a seemingly disproportionate dislike of the capital.

On the contrary, it seems that those defending it are dominated by those who’ve only ever lived there and so don’t know better.

The thing is, the principle objection of the “haters” is down to the way London and the people there seem to dominate the rest of the country, despite there being vast amounts more people who don’t live there (presumably because the media is all based there – in much the same way as falling interest rates are “a good thing for everybody” as most people in the media have big mortgages).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Tell you what, I’m going to organise a London Bikey, which will take in many of the sights, and quite a bit of the history of the place. Probably in the Spring. I shall put up a notice nearer the time.

Having lived here for all my 37 years, I am somewhat biased. But I have probably seen more of London, than most people. Mixed with all sorts of different bods, from people living on the streets, to those living in mansions. Have friends who are Lawyers, teachers, scientists, bus drivers, and heroin addicts. I’ve met people from all corners of he World, from the Outer Hebrides, to Outer Mongolia!

It’s an amazing place; utterly mental. Always changing, yet always constant. To my mind, simply magical.

I can see it’s not for everyone. And as for the fact I’ve never lived anywhere else, well, I really don’t want to! Certainly not for longer than a few months or so. I’d get too homesick. Might sound strange, But that’s me. There’s still far too much for me to see and do, here.

I know many of you just won’t get what I’m on about, so come down , and I’ll show you a bit.

And you might, just, change your mind…

grizzlygus
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member

I know many of you just won’t get what I’m on about, so come down , and I’ll show you a bit.

And you might, just, change your mind…

I feel a song coming on …………….. wait …………..yes :

How can you tell me you’re lonely
    And say, for you, that the sun don’t shine
    Let me take you by the hand
    And lead you through the streets of London
    I’ll show you something to make you change your mind

nickc

Glad I don’t have to live there.

kimbers

On the contrary, it seems that those defending it are dominated by those who’ve only ever lived there and so don’t know better.

actualy i grew up in dunstable lived in aberystwyth for 3 years and cambridge for 5 also spent quite a bit of time in brum and liverpool where my missus studied/ is from, also boston usa for 3mths

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘unless your within 10 miles of london, then i don’t see how you can answer a thread about london because you literally don’t know anything about london and never will unless you live here because EVERYTHINGS DIFFERENT IN LONDON you idiots.’

Of course it’s different, you idiot. I’ve been, I’ve seen it, I’ve stayed there.
    I’d rather live in f*cking Hartlepool.
    (actually…not QUITE true, but close)

colnagokid

essel’ you most definately would not rather live in Hartlepool!
    Rudeboy I could be up for that London ride, as long as you dont make me ride any steep “apples ‘n pears”!

robdob
    Free Member

I live in Yorkshire, and would defend it to the death! I have been to London a fair few times and I do like it, but I don’t think I would want to live there.

It takes hours to get to any decent countryside (i.e. with hills in it, don’t get me started on the South Downs please ;-)), and while there’s lots to do there doesn’t seem to be any peace, plus it doesn’t seem very friendly. I know this from prsonal experience plus the experience of close friends who have lived there for a few years.

It’s one heck of a city and it’s in England so I’m proud of it but I am still glad I live 191 miles away.

robdob
    Free Member

Tell you what, I’m going to organise a London Bikey, which will take in many of the sights, and quite a bit of the history of the place. Probably in the Spring. I shall put up a notice nearer the time.

That would be ace! Always wanted to do something like that, but led by someone who really knows the place rather than finding my own way round.

samuri
    Free Member

Far enough away. All cities are crap but London seems to take the worst of all of them and mix it all together to produce one horrible pile of poo. I’m sure it’s not the fault of London or indeed it’s occupants but if rushing from one smelly dirty place to another smelly dirty place with your earphones on, eyes down, ignoring everyone else, then London is the city for you.

I’ve spent many years in London, hated pretty much all of it. I’m no great fan of say, Liverpool (as an example) but at least you get a feeling that people are approachable and caring. I think a lot of London residents try to protect themselves by putting up a wall and this generates an atmos of indifference and self-indulgence. Not for me but I’m sure lots of people think it’s great.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘If London is the center of the universe . . .’ is closed to new replies.