Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • if london flooded, would they declare it a national emergency?
  • Kuco

I think you find Theresa Villiers will personally deliver sandbags now, not Michael Gove 😉

imnotverygood

They don’t care about the needs of the northern 80% of the country

..but I thought that 80% was largely empty of anything barring the bits which are full of a sense of greivance?

bsims
    Free Member

The Film is Split Second its currently on Netflix or Amazon.

I just looked it up, I forgot about the xenomorph knockoff, I just remembered the flooding.

TiRed

A decent government would be looking to actively flood Slough

THey built a flood relief Jubilee river for this. OK it’s Slough South 😉 , but it’s there and fills regularly. Slough itself is out of the flood zone, so sorry to dissappoint

scuttler

population of Huddersfield probably haven’t spent the past week worry about how businesses paying the surcharge for crossrail are going to cope with the cost and schedule overuns.

If only we could worry about our very own transpennine crossrail

bsims
    Free Member

On the subject of railways, once HS2 is completed London will become more important as its draws more business in, certainly from the midlands and likely from the north as well and push house prices up as south of Birmingham will be easily within commuting distance.

MoreCashThanDash

Derby and Nottingham will be easily commutable with HS2

MrSmith
    Free Member

But in answer to your question, as long as you get a skinny, decaffe, organic, free-trade Frappawhappachino that costs the same as the GDP of Portugal,served to you by a man with full-sleeve tattoos and a waxed beard then all’s well.

Awww, bless the middle aged northerners trying to recall what London was like 10 years ago.

It’s all about the roadmen a

yes and he forgot the cold brew, bubble-tea and nitro that have been and gone since the heady days of 2010.

I think it probably is. If you live in Liverpool and think that Kensington and Chelsea is a suburb of London a bit like Toxteth or Everton. Then you’d be forgiven for wondering why London Boroughs get more news time than entire cities, it’s because they are individually bigger than entire cities (or at least very large towns).

indeed, the central part of Manchester (bordered by Ancoats/the station and train lines) basically fits inside the boundaries of Hyde park

ElShalimo

… but nobody lives in Hyde Park and not that many live in central Manchester either

What point are you trying to make?

MrSmith
    Free Member

… but nobody lives in Hyde Park and not that many live in central Manchester either

What point are you trying to make?

the SIZE.

csb

No offence to anyone (and speaking as a non-London/SE resident), but the uncomfortable truth is there isn’t much of national importance outside of London.

pictonroad

Troll thread should be recognised as such.

ElShalimo

“the SIZE.” is a crap metric.  Northumberland is bigger than any city in the UK. It’s meaningless

Try harder, then come back and do try to articulate your thoughts so that others can understand your message

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s meaningless

everything has meaning, you just have to find it..

bsims
    Free Member

Is it bigger is more important?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Size isn’t everything

bsims
    Free Member

I’m lost, why does the UK media cover London more? Is it because most of its employees live there?

gwaelod
    Free Member

What does declaring a national emergency actually mean? – this sounds like just a plaintive cry to “do something” when there is in reality very little that can be done.

The Military can already be deployed to help with a civil emergency anyway under the MACA procedures (Military Aid to the Civil Community) – No “National Emergency” declaration necessary.

Reality is that as a society we have chosen to have more of these flooding events by burning carbon to heat the atmosphere hence running the water cycle faster. Dredging rivers and shouting at the EA will make sweet FA of a difference.

The people who live in flood prone areas had better get used to this sort of thing – it isn’t an emergency .. its the new normal.

nealglover
    Free Member

there isn’t much of national importance outside of London.

Apart from the vast majority of the nation obviously 👍

csb

Well yes neal, but they’re dispersed across hundreds of smaller conurbations, 4 nations and an area hundreds (guessing here) of times the size of London. With the odd iconic building that is recognised outside of their own place (hence why the Glasgow fire was on national news).

MrSmith
    Free Member

What does declaring a national emergency actually mean?

KFC running out of chicken?

funkmasterp

That’s one of the good things about living in Macclesfield. When locals mention flooding I can enter Yorkshire man mode. “Call this flooding” etc.

Surely there are some bits of London that flood already that we don’t hear about up north?

With the odd iconic building that is recognised outside of their own place

You can keep your buildings and I’ll stick with my rolling hills and beautiful scenery 😉

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Maybe, as mountain bikers, some of the bits outside London are of national importance. Trees and hills and stuff like that.

Also, lots of things that people in cities need to survive (like food and water) come from outside of cities.

TiRed

urely there are some bits of London that flood already that we don’t hear about up north?

Loads, on a weekly basis, normally due to a water leak taking out some elecricity supply and causing an explosion. They are pretty local, but it’s quite a thing at the moment.

Example https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-49973877/finsbury-park-flood-burst-pipe-leave-homes-and-schools-without-water

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s all about the roadmen and hypebeasts now granddad.

Easily the most informative thing I’ve seen posted all day! 🙂

bsims
    Free Member

The news becomes London centric when it is mostly based there. Economic, political stories are focused their obviously but I do find that other items especially on slow news days can focus on London issues.Human nature will make people see the world from their own perspective and close to home. I think since the bbc moved parts to Manchester there is a slight lean to the north for some issues. If you are in the north your perspective may vary.

gwaelod
    Free Member

KFC running out of chicken?

Fair point

wiganer
    Free Member

I’ve argued for some time that central government should move out of London. Perhaps rotate around the country to a different region every 4 years. It would certainly give our esteemed elected a different perspective. And perhaps reduce the costs associated with doing business in one of the worlds most expensive cities, free up more than 600 properties/second homes, and allow the Palace of Westminster to become a paying tourist attraction. Priorities may change when BoJo can’t get across Lincolnshire to take his seat in Boston’s House of Commons.

bigrich

the GDP of lundun village on it’s own is higher than some countries – and not made up ones either, real ones with hospitals and stuff – e.g. netherlands, sweden and switzerland

that’s what the relative difference is.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“the SIZE.” is a crap metric. Northumberland is bigger than any city in the UK. It’s meaningless

Try harder, then come back and do try to articulate your thoughts so that others can understand your message“the SIZE.” is a crap metric. Northumberland is bigger than any city in the UK. It’s meaningless

Try harder, then come back and do try to articulate your thoughts so that others can understand your message

Population then, London and Nortuberland are about the same size. But London has 28x the population. Is it any real surprise that it gets 28x more news coverage?

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’m lost, why does the UK media cover London more? Is it because most of its employees live there?

Surely in the most part, it is due to approximately the same number of people living in London as Scotland and Wales combined. Similar to Scottish news media covering the central belt and Welsh news media focusing on the SE iirc.

tjagain

Yes, because it would be a national emergency – i.e. whole country impacted by the downstream effects.

Really? How would it affect the rest of the UK?

THey built a flood relief Jubilee river for this. OK it’s Slough South

Jubilee River was to protect the rich residents of Windsor and Maidenhead. The main benefit for Slough is its a handy place to do drug deals, or commit suicide.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends which bit of London was flooded.

Westminster – parliment, Whitehall.

The city – collapse of the banking system

Museums – loss of antiquities

National archives

British Library

Or just the hit on GDP. If somehow the M25 became a big bund wall.

Scotland gdp for 2018 $218 billion
    London metropolitain area $1trillion. Losing four and a half Scotlands would be a bit of a national emergency dont you agree?

tjagain

Those things either have zero impact upon me or are the same as the doncaster area flooding

gauss1777
    Free Member

Yes, because it would be a national emergency – i.e. whole country impacted by the downstream effects.

I’m sure you have a bit of an inkling and others know more but… should the Thames Barrier break and the hundreds of buildings of National and International significance, along with 350 000 homes, etc etc be flooded then we would all end up paying one way or another. Insurance payments would surely skyrocket…

I shouldn’t have attempted to answer the question, hopefully someone will come along and provide a more thorough answer. The idea that someone living in Edinburgh, working for the NHS would be immune (I’m in much the same situation by the way) from its effects seems naive. I’m not sure the NHS will see anywhere near the funds it needs in the near future, but you could kiss goodbye to getting anything if London flooded. (I presume we mean a huge area of London here).

I have absolutely no idea the answer to this question, but what was the National effect of London being blitzed?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Those things either have zero impact upon me or are the same as the doncaster area flooding

Really?

Just as a starter for ten, someone* in the hypothetically flooded department of health isnt going to be able to pay nurses wages if its underwater are they.

*or pay the trust, which pays the hospital, that pays the department, that runs your payroll. But the net effect would be the same.

tjagain

Nope – I work in the scottish NHS which is completely separate and has nothing to do with London

Next!

Richie_B

Derby and Nottingham Long Eaton will be easily commutable with HS2

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nope – I work in the scottish NHS which is completely separate and has nothing to do with London

Next!

do they treat myopia?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘if london flooded, would they declare it a national emergency?’ is closed to new replies.