Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • If I'm going Bikepacking I'll need a hip flask, but which?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

What works best with your Single Malt?

geoffj

scotroutes
    geoffj

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Nips over to the never seen before STW shop section and finds one on special offer. That’ll do nicely, thanks.

nedrapier

just too late…

somafunk

I find a hip flask doesn’t hold enough for my liking, a couple of drinks and it’s gone so i bought the Highland flasks from Bob here at backpackinglight

Nick

What Somafunk said. I got one of these from Backpackinglight

GSI Hipflask

Been good to me it has.

duckman

Another vote for Gsi, McM; bikepacking equals having a huge dump before setting off to save weight, can’t be taking metal with you when plastic is available! 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

STW hip flask arrived this morning. I decanted some Highland Park into it and it tastes mighty fine. Duckman, I’ve a lot to learn about lightweight bike packing. Failing at the first hurdle isn’t uncommon for me. 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

Put your spirit in plastic bottles, much lighter and more volume. You don’t need a specific device for this.

billyboy
    Free Member

Old lucozade bottle!

Carried one all round the Cairngorms last autumn filled with spirit AND never touched a drop of it

Clobber
    Free Member

I decanted some Highland Park into it and it tastes mighty fine.

Really, I must try one of these mythical flasks, last time I had Highland Park it was in a glass and tasted frankly average.

jon1973
    Free Member

I never got a funnel with my STW flask, or the nice box for that matter.

duckman

McM,when you find yourself sawing the handle off a toothbrush,or using breath fresh strips,then it is long hard look at yourself time…err,or so I have heard… 😳 prob with a plastic bottle is they aren’t much lighter,but a lot more fragile,the gsi flask doesn’t crease the way a water bottle does when it is stuffed to the bottom of a pack or bag. As to the highland park post;all whisky tastes better in a tent listening to the sound of weather,animals and nothing man made. FACT.

househusband

Sigg Traveller oval; hip-flask shaped and can hold virtually an entire bottle of single malt – why settle for anything less?!

Spin
    Free Member

I pour away the vile contents of one of these and use that. It has many advantages over a hip flask being bigger, cheaper and bigger.

It’s bigger too.

ElShalimo

Oooh that Sigg Traveller is nice

Platypus do a PlatyPreserve which is good for wine when backpacking
    They keep port in good nick too…..hic

duckman

Yup,l use the flat pack platypus for water,it can also take hot water without disforming or leaking.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

How about a double barrelled one…

cynic-al
    Free Member

The non bikey one I got from leffeboy in 1997.

I got a lightweight one too.

I’m surprised that a 50+ yr old male Scot doesn’t own one already!

scotroutes

Platypus is a good call for your malt. Flexible and non-breakable. It does tend to retain some of the taste should you then re-use it for water though. Whether or not you think this is a good thing is up to you 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘If I'm going Bikepacking I'll need a hip flask, but which?’ is closed to new replies.