Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • If I wanted to go 1×10…
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

…on my 3×10 bike, could I just remove the three chain rings from the crankset, the front mech and the shifter and then just bolt on a non-ramped chain ring in the middle chain ring position?

Apologies if it’s a stupid question.

AlexSimon

Yes.

If it’s a hardtail, you may be fine with just that.
    A clutch mech helps.

If it’s an FS and a design that has chain length changes, you might need some extra bit to hold the chain on more securely.
    e.g. a top chain guide or a narrow/wide chainring.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Ok, cool – it is a hardtail. Nice when things are simple!

carlos
    Free Member

You can also use your ramped chainring till it’s dead to save a few ££££ then get a N/W, new chain, cassette and jockeys all at the same time

Edit – you’ll also need some single/short chainring bolts

ahwiles
    Free Member

you could just start the journey by replacing the big-ring with a bbg bash-guard.

(don’t forget to shorten your chain, as that’s one of the main benefits…)

enduroforever
    Free Member

I’m doing the same thing on my hybrid next week

gonzy
    Free Member

you’ll also need shorter chainring bolts, but if you’re using the existing chainring bolts then you’ll need spacers to take up the slack where the outer ring would have been.

billytinkle
    Free Member

After having a bit of a play about with an spare crank set I had laying about it appears that it won’t be so simple for me.

It looks like I should have mentioned that I wanted to run a large 44t ring up front. The big ring won’t fit in the middle ring position without some metal work.

Is the easiest option simply to buy a single specific ring?

faustus

What are you using the bike for? Unless you’re attempting a mtb land speed record, 44t at the front is massive for a 1×10! It’ll be tough uphill too. Google sheldon brown gear calculator to find the right chainring size. You could fit a 36t specific ring in the middle ring position to give you decent high end gears but staying sensible for uphill.

billytinkle
    Free Member

It’s a commuting mtb. I do have a reasonable hill to negotiate each day, but I’ve given it a go using the 44t only and whilst it was more of a challenge, it wasn’t too bad.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘If I wanted to go 1×10…’ is closed to new replies.