Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • If I like the Lemonheads then I will also like ????
  • GJP
    Free Member

I bought a copy of the Lemonheads “Its a shame about Ray” last weekend and I absolutely love it. I vaguely remember them at the time but never saw them or bought any of their material

So please remind me folks what else I should I be investigating listening to from that 1992-1994 era.

House of Love comes to mind but there must be a lot of others.

My listening back then was probably more centered around the MADchester scene Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets etc. So whilst I was listening to all this what was I missing out on.

Ta
    Gary

CountZero

Juliana Hatfield
    Belly
    Throwing Muses
    Saw all of them around that time, still got a Lemonheads tee that I wear occasionally.

colournoise

CountZero – Member
    Juliana Hatfield
    Belly
    Throwing Muses

This.

Plus maybe –

Teenage Fanclub
    The Dylans

slainte 8) rob

GJP
    Free Member

CZ thanks for those – I noticed Belly appeared on the “Best Covers Thread”. Shame Amazon are not flogging them off on the cheap 🙁

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

…err The Lemonheads!

They’re touring It’s a Shame about Ray (again) at the moment.

Definitely buy Come on Feel The Lemonheads too, arguably, it’s even better.
    Car Button Cloth is good too as was the eponymous album they released a few years ago.

I wouldn’t bother with Lick, Creator or Hate Your Friends unless you have completionist tendencies. Lovey is pretty decent too.

Stoner
    Free Member
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not really a Lemonheads afficionado, but “I Lied about Being The Outdoor Type” remains one of my favourite songs. And I think it could apply to legions of STWers. 😀

EDIT: And now listening on YouTube, slightly drunk, and feeling guilty that I haven’t checked out this bankd more.

CountZero

I love Belly’s stuff, and Tanya Donelly, who was in Throwing Muses, with Kristin Hersh, (her half-sister, IIRC). Tanya’s solo stuff is excellent, Kristin’s can be… challenging.
    Juliana was associated with The Lemonheads and Evon Dando, and The Juliana Hatfield Three were gigging around the time ‘It’s A Shame About Ray’ came out. All part of a larger Boston/Massachusetts music scene.
    It all seems such a long time ago, now. Saw Tori Amos at the Royal Albert Hall on wednesday, and she said it was thirteen years since she last played there. I was in the front row for that gig; thirteen years ago? Bloody hell, where’s the time gone?

zippykona

Saw Evan dando playing with the Shout Brothers in the Sando in Newtown sydney in 92. It was funny all the teeny bop girls trying to get to him at the gigs when they could have just gone down The Bank and bought him a beer..”as the cars glide up kings street”.
    It might mean something to someone.

duckman

If you like the Lemonheads then deff try the teenies and belly as stated and remember the Gin Blossoms anybody?

atlaz
    Free Member

And if Teenage Fanclub floats your boat, consider listening to the Yuck album released earlier this year. Sounds a fair bit like early Fanclub

iain1775
    Free Member

Not really a Lemonheads afficionado, but “I Lied about Being The Outdoor Type” remains one of my favourite songs. And I think it could apply to legions of STWers.

Strictly not a lemonheads song, it was written by Alison from an Australian band called smudge that dando befriended when in Australia touring
    She is also the alison from ‘Alison’s starting to happen’
    Check out their albums Manilow and ‘tea toast and turmoil’
    Very shame about ray ish in fact Tom and Alison from Smudge influenced or cowrote alot of Ray
    Manilow was recently rereleased and the band reformed
    Also check nic daltons band ‘godstar’ or anything on his half a cow record label if you can track it down on eBay (much is Australia only release)

iain1775
    Free Member

Not really a Lemonheads afficionado, but “I Lied about Being The Outdoor Type” remains one of my favourite songs. And I think it could apply to legions of STWers.

Strictly not a lemonheads song, it was written by Tom Morgan from an Australian band called smudge that dando befriended when in Australia touring
    The bands drummer is also the alison from ‘Alison’s starting to happen’
    She had a ‘divan’
    Check out their albums Manilow and ‘tea toast and turmoil’ ‘wrong sinatra’ and ‘mike love not war’
    Very shame about ray ish in fact Tom and Alison from Smudge influenced or cowrote alot of Ray
    Manilow was recently rereleased and the band reformed
    Also check nic daltons band ‘godstar’ ‘sneeze’ or anything on his half a cow record label if you can track it down on eBay (much is Australia only release)

Outdoor type
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRwYEo6IUY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

senorj

their first album , I think it’s called “lovey”.

warton
    Free Member

Evan Dando does a christmas gig every year at the Cluny in newcastle, in front of about 200 people. His wife is from Hexham. they come back every christmas, and he does a gig in between christmas and the new year. its always brilliant!

p7rich
    Free Member

Deffo go for older Lemonheads. Harder than the Ray stuff and a lot more rewarding. Agree ‘Lovey’ (their 4th album is excellent, definitely their apex. 3 song EP ‘Favorite Spanish Dishes’ from same period is also very special.

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with Lick, Creator or Hate Your Friends

I love these albums, but they are a fair bit more punky yes.

Second Teenage Fanclub – also try Felt and The Pastels…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEiaDCkCMQM[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jH0wbnvIo&feature=related[/video]

GJP
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I will start looking – the names are coming back to me now. I had a couple of Throwing Muses albums, but 20 years on I forgotten all about them and Tanya and Kristen – how is that possible?

Atlaz I bought Yuck earlier this year following their slot on Jools Holland. Good album

RustySpanner

duckman – Member

and remember the Gin Blossoms anybody?

Brilliant song, always wondered whatever happened to them?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkDrW7wja5w&feature=related[/video]

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Bob Mould is well worth trying too. I didn’t get on with Husker Du, but the stuff he did with Sugar and then solo is absolutely fantastic. Massively underrated artist, IMHO.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

What about naked raygun, leatherface, senseless things, Venus beads, shudder to think, mega city four, dag nasty wig out at Denkos period.

yunki
    Free Member

Lemonjelly
    Lemonade
    Lemon tea
    Lemon cake
    and Keith Lemon

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh, and you might also want to check out Big Star…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNKSs1J38EA[/video]

grievoustim
    Free Member

When I listen to “it’s a shame about ray” I’m seventeen again, always

RichPenny
    Free Member

Pavement would be an obvious suggestion. The first mercury rev album is also great. I’m a big fan of Sebadoh/Lou Barlow stuff, but inbetween the stoner folk rock songs theres some shouty punk stuff. Come to think of it, thats often in the same song 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Oh yes, consider Eugenius too.

dogbert
    Free Member

I would agree with Belly, Throwing Muses. Big fan of Bob Mould and Copper Blue by his band Sugar is tremendous.

Buffalo Tom are definately worth a look, especially Let Me Come Over

DezB
    Free Member

Around that time i liked Buffalo Tom, Afghan Whigs, Midway Still.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Some links:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDbGvS1d5CI[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztKNzjgshfY[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tl1AjzDSNE[/video]

And some Grandaddy, which is later but might also suit your taste:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgGadNzKJI&feature=related[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

The first mercury rev album is also great

I love that album, I was going to say it’s quite different to the Lemonheads but thinking about it – it’s probably just what Evan Dando would have sounded like if he’d had 10 effects pedals and took acid instead of crack.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBU4x8QaMyQ&feature=related[/video]

MrBlond
    Free Member

Copper Blue +1 – still listen to it!

RichPenny
    Free Member

I love that album

Me too. Went to see them on that tour, when I was 12 or 13. It was pretty **** up, they had about 40 young kids up on stage just bouncing around going mental 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

The first thing to ome to my mind was that buffalo Tom album mentioned above. The one with tail lights fade(?).

Hmm, what about that mazzy star album?

And the pixies (:-)) and the vaselines mebbe?

I remember really liking the second belly album a lot (I was a big throwing muses fan bitd). Kristen was challenging because she’s bipolar only it took a fair while to work that out iirc.

I have a very large soft spot for my drug buddy, used ti listen to it on repeat.

And on Alison I thought he was singing alisons getting the tit fears… 😳

Mind you what do I know I was probably listening to killdozer…

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you like lemon heads you’ll love a lemon party. It’s night where everyone just plays lemon head style music and parties. Google will show you how much fun people have at lemon parties.

GJP
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    If you like lemon heads you’ll love a lemon party. It’s night where everyone just plays lemon head style music and parties. Google will show you how much fun people have at lemon parties.

Hmmn….. Not quite my cup of Lemon Tea. Also, they look a bit old to like the Lemonheads or am I just being ageist

Pigface
    Free Member

Give the Hoodoo Gurus a go, I will be amazed if you are dissapointed.

iDave
    Free Member

Also try the Smoking Popes

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWl-HSnwLWs[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

Me too. Went to see them on that tour, when I was 12 or 13. It was pretty **** up, they had about 40 young kids up on stage just bouncing around going mental

I think I saw them at Norwich Uni on that tour, they were playing in a gym and we spent some time chatting to the singer David Baker. He really was a space cadet.

They were great anyway, and even better the next time we saw them back in London touring Boces. Unlike MBV and some of their psychedelic boundary-pushing contemporaries I think the Rev were even better live than on record.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘If I like the Lemonheads then I will also like ????’ is closed to new replies.