Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • If I like Greta van Fleet then I’ll like….
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Planet Rock related again, but Wyatt’s new rock show is well worth checking out for new and even unsigned bands.

PJay
    Free Member

No old music!

😣 You’ve already to Heart and The Cult on the list!

Clutch have been mentioned, how about a new take on old music?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hertz van Rental. A Dutch guitarist I hear.

molgrips
    Free Member

how about a new take on old music?

I guess that’s what this whole genre is..

Wolfmother were good – definitely a fusion of old with the guitars and new with the vocals and lyrics.

sands
    Free Member

If I like Greta van Fleet then I’ll like…

First time I heard 10 seconds of this, I thought the intro was for GvanF Safari Song
    Joanne Shaw Taylor- Here Comes the Flood

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I know what you mean about Planet Rock, not only don they play the same bands all the time, but they tend to play their most popular songs too. Absolute Classic Rock are even worse for this.

For newer stuff, I’m a big fan of Gaslight Anthem, who can definitely be classed as melodic rock. Lonely The Brave are pretty good too, but less catchy. Tracer are like a heavier version of Queens of a Stone Age.

If you like slightly heavier rock, then try Volbeat and Alter Bridge.

molgrips
    Free Member

Gaslight Anthem reminding me of Razorlight currently.

duncancallum

Von hertzen brothers?

MrOvershoot

PJay
    Clutch have been mentioned, how about a new take on old music?

Nice one PJ a great tribute to their manager who died last year, I get a sore throat imagining how hard Neil Fallon sings

wordnumb
    Free Member

But it’s old music you asked us to recommend!

The Tea Party – Splendor Solis.

molgrips
    Free Member

But it’s old music you asked us to recommend!

No? GvF formed in 2012. What I want is modern melodic rock which may or may not sound like classic rock – not actual classic rock. For me most music has a shelf life in my head. My Dad on the other hand still plays Stones records over FIFTY years later. I couldn’t handle that.

Although that Creedence track is pretty good. Some of it ages better than others.

duncancallum

Bigfoot

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No old music!

What’s the cutoff? Personally don’t care how ‘old’ or ‘new’ a song is, it’s new to me if I haven’t heard it before (still discovering ‘new to me’ bands from 70s, 80s, 90s, Nowties)

But what’s ‘year X’ (where X = too long ago) for purpose of query, OP?

MrOvershoot

Can I just say thank you to molegrips as this thread has got me back in touch with another forum member that I haven’t spoken to in a while 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

But what’s ‘year X’ (where X = too long ago) for purpose of query, OP?

MrOvershoot

Just get on YouTube and see what comes up from your initial likes, its not effing hard.

funkmasterp

Man-o-war

More Spinal Tap than Spinal Tap. They held the world record for the loudest gig at one point. They’re ace because they don’t know that they’re a joke. Some of the best worst lyrics in history too.

Stripes on a tiger don’t wash away. Man-o-War’s made of steel not clay.

And

I am an outcast on the path of no return, punisher and swordsman I was born to burn!

DEATH TO FALSE METAL!

Although that Creedence track is pretty good.

That’s because CCR are timeless. A good tune is a good tune regardless and they had an abundance of them. Agree on the Stones though

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just get on YouTube and see what comes up from your initial likes, its not effing hard.

It can be if you’re deliberately cutting out 40 years (80%?) of possible matches

Searches such as musicmap may be better?

https://www.music-map.com/greta+van+fleet

*edit

People who like Greta Van Fleet might also like these artists.

The closer two names are, the greater the probability people will like both artists.

The fact that Music-Map puts (of all bands) Led Zeppelin farthest away from GVF made me hoot.

panzerjager
    Free Member

2 omissions from reading through would be Black Country Communion & Nothing But Thieves.
    Both superb bands with a similar vocal style to Greta & all incredible musicians.

Black Country are all super famous musicians in their own right who you’ll already know, Nothing but Thieves a newer band but with nod to the classic stuff.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ooof! Glenn Hughes can still wail. Restecp.

ali69er
    Free Member

Blue Pills
    Silvertide (Only did one album but amazing)

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t it a bit more social to start a discussion rather than do it alone? Miserable sod!

That’s because CCR are timeless

You’re right. As for all my grumbling about Planet Rock, the only classic rock bands whose songs I play are Creedence and AC/DC.

CountZero

For me most music has a shelf life in my head. My Dad on the other hand still plays Stones records over FIFTY years later. I couldn’t handle that.

See, I just can’t understand that. I do know tastes change, I just can’t listen to Black Sabbath these days, and there are others from the 60’s and 70’s I used to like, but that’s true of any time/year. If something’s good, then it should be timeless, like King Crimson, who I saw last year on their 50th Anniversary tour; I discovered them in ‘69, and their music is timeless, being largely jazz-influenced, like many early Prog bands, before the rot set in and self-indulgence took over!
    There are others, like John Kongos ‘He’s Gonna Step On You Again’, which must be nearly 50 years old now, but just doesn’t age, unlike the crap ‘Monday’s ‘Step On’ version, which does sound dated, I mean, a lyric like ‘You’re twisting my melon, man; you talk so hip man, you’re twisting my melon man’! It makes me cringe just typing it out. Good music should be ageless and timeless.

molgrips
    Free Member

If something’s good, then it should be timeless

It’s not a matter of time, it’s a matter of number of times I’ve heard it. Really good stuff I can listen to for much longer, but sometimes even stuff I really like at the time just doesn’t bear listening to a lot. Of course, the older something is the more times I’ll have heard it in general.

There are a few other things though. Some stuff is great but is formulaic for its time. So whilst I may not have listened to it much, if it’s generic then some of the weariness of other well-worn music will transfer onto it.

Another thing I’ve noticed since getting a really good pair of headphones is that the better the quality of reproduction the easier I find it to listen to. Listening to Amazon Music streams on standard def even on expensive headphones, my ears get somehow tired and I can only listen for a short time. With HD, this doesn’t happen on the same phones. And 60s-70s rock seems to do the same thing to my ears. It’s subtle though – not something I’d really notice consciously but it means I get agitated and stop enjoying it sooner. Of course, it doesn’t really matter if you’re listening on a portable radio or something – which I still do and enjoy.

MrOvershoot

molgrips
    Subscriber

Isn’t it a bit more social to start a discussion rather than do it alone? Miserable sod!

Hey I was tired from work and you obviously paid no attention to me thanking you earlier.

MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

Can I just say thank you to molegrips as this thread has got me back in touch with another forum member that I haven’t spoken to in a while 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you ever find yourself wishing that AC/DC and Guns and Roses would collaborate on new material that sounds like 70s/80s rock but isn’t? If they did, it would sound quite a bit like Dirty Honey. They even look like GnR, that can’t be accidental.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘If I like Greta van Fleet then I’ll like….’ is closed to new replies.