If I can't ride in the Alps this year, then I'll bring the Alps to me…

Home Forum Chat Forum If I can't ride in the Alps this year, then I'll bring the Alps to me…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • If I can't ride in the Alps this year, then I'll bring the Alps to me…
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I know two road climbs near me (South Wales) where you can pretend you’re in the Alps. One is the Blorenge, cos it’s got two hairpins in it; and the other is the Rhigos road out of the Rhondda cos it’s steady and goes on for aaaages.

allthegear

Yeah, that would involve sitting on a bike and that’s not too good right now. I’ll have to make do with the cheese, potato, wine and lardons combo in the meantime… :-/

Rachel

Ce Bon, je aime tartiflette avec marmot

allthegear

Okay, so while I’m recovering, I’m really, really missing my annual trip out to the Alps. 🙁

A moment of inspiration (and a trip to Waitrose) has now helped me at least bring a taste of the Alps home… 🙂

Tartiflette, by Allthegear… (feeling a little better and a LOT full!!)

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Get in all your bike gear and go and sit in the shed with your bike every so often to replicate the gondola..

allthegear

urrrgh – now feel ill through an overdose of cheese…

Rachel

Stick a couple of breeze blocks beneath each leg and strap your bike to the back for that chairlift feeling.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Redecorate

allthegear

ha – liking the swing idea!! Maybe I should get a couple of the locals to wear cowbells and wander around the garden, making noise, too…

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

This thread is bringing back memories of a tartiflette pizza I had in adh last year. The number of calories was a number that looks like a sideways 8….

Bliss.

I don’t know the extent of your injuries, but maybe you could repeatedly turn the washing machine onto spin cycle whilst gripping the corners to replicate unholy arm pump… though I’ve heard there are other ways to achieve similar effects.

If it makes you feel any better I’m in Bourg st Maurice and the rain is hammering down on the tent and is due to for the next to days. The first 4 days of the trip were brilliant though 😀

patriotpro

Presumably, it’s nicer than it looks…

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

Yep – trapped in the tent by the alpine rain.

avdave2

Presumably, it’s nicer than it looks.

You mean like a scab after you’ve spent too long in the bath?

patriotpro

well not really, scabs look AND taste of not much really whereas that looks a bit unappetising but I imagine it tastes decent…

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

Rachel – it’s almost impossible to overdose on cheese.

Conclusive evidence to the contrary:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwlBd8bGPmE[/video]

andrewh

Wrong. I was listening to a program on the radio about this, a chap called Milton Jones I remember right. He conducted an experiment on this. He had some laboratory mice and fed them on nothing but cheese and they all died within two years.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

a chap called Milton Jones

Milton Jones the comedian, on his comedy show?

atlaz

I imagine it tastes decent

Far better than decent. After the biblical downpour day at the PdS last month, I treated myself to one of them for lunch. Spot on. I quite fancied a second one but went with a massive icecream instead.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

This thread is bringing back memories of a tartiflette pizza

OMG went out this year, and one if the guys in the chalet had one if these, a pizza with a topping of cream and potatoes!! About 10″ diameter. Calories beyond scientific measure, a genuine ‘What The Actual ****’ moment

He finished it as well, legendary

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

Wrong. I was listening to a program on the radio about this, a chap called Milton Jones I remember right. He conducted an experiment on this. He had some laboratory mice and fed them on nothing but cheese and they all died within two years.

Oh oh, I’m in trouble then.

If you can’t find Reblochon, Gruyere isn’t a bad aleternative.

transmute

No such thing as too much cheese!
    That makes me feel hungry *imagines scoffing in a Garfield/lasagne fashion!* 😀

avdave2

I’d rather eat a lepers scabs than cooked cheese. I have to leave the room if the kids are eating macaroni cheese.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

It is seriously hoofing it down here in Bourg Saint Maurice.

allthegear

They do tend to look a bit gooey but they taste amazing!

Rachel

Premier Icon longcranks
    Subscriber

As the old bumper sticker goes …

“In tartiflette we trust”

You can have a cheese overdose…then you get the cheesey sweats!! Happens particularly if you eat goats cheese…chevre de fevre!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘If I can't ride in the Alps this year, then I'll bring the Alps to me…’ is closed to new replies.