• This topic has 43 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • If helmets were to be made compulsory………………….?
  • ton

which helmet would you choose to wear.

i need a very very breathable one…………any idea’s.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

On general principal, I wouldn’t wear one….

EDIT
    But to answer the question I’d probably look at Catlike 🙂

ton

i did not ask that did i? 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I like the looks of

But I would probably continue wearing Giro Hex or Zen, as I have for the last 5 years, as they are comfy for me.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Casco Viper.

Lightweight full face or remove chin guard for those “normal” days out. I can honestly say its the most comfortable lid I’ve ever worn and the least sweaty too.

neninja
    Free Member

Currently wearing a Catlike Vacuum – designed specifically for maximum airflow at lower speeds making it perfect for mountain biking.

It’s extremely comfortable but the straps were a fiddle to get right initially.

starsh78
    Free Member

I’d go with something more reserved…. like a specialized vice 🙂

crazymoon
    Free Member

catlike vacuum

tk46hal
    Free Member

After watching the On Show tonight and photo’s of James Cracknell after his accident I would make everyone riding a bike wear a helmet! I wouldn’t now feel properly dressed without one now. Like driving a car without your seatbelt!

warton
    Free Member

I would make everyone riding a bike wear a helmet!

Got some of my sons chocolate birthday cake here. anyone for a slice?

Gary_C

It won’t be long before ‘he’ appears on this thread….. 🙄

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Bell Volt, ‘cos they fit me like they were made for me. Bloody expensive though.

brant
    Free Member

I love them poc helmets too. Just not the screaming vacuous face on the side.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Those new Urge helmets look decent, although they only seem to make them for people with heads the size of peas. I wish manufacturers would make helmets to fit those of us with enormous swell heads, after all we have more brains to protect than the pea heads.

mrmo
    Free Member

why does every single thread like this always descend into a pro choice/compulsion debate….

If you want to wear a helmet fine, but they are only designed to do so much. They will not stop you dying, they are not some magic bullet. The roads would be safer with more cyclists, and enforcing helmet use will, if every study so far done is to be believed reduce the number of cyclists.

What will make the roads safer is enforcement of existing laws not the introduction of new laws.

brakes
    Free Member

you’ve just contributed to the debate mrmo…
    giro ionos is supposed to be very airy

ton

mrmo, i started the thread solely to ask what helmets people would wear if it became the law.

i do/did not want any discusion on safety/law or any other bollox.
    so do not bring it into it please.

thank you.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

if you need a very breathable one i have a giro ionos and would recommend it. it is noticably better ventilated than my hex (which i got to wear when it is cooler).

mrmo
    Free Member

ton, not commenting on your thread, commenting on how someone had to turn this into a helmet law thread, if you look someone above mentioned it.

But to answer your question i have some Met Inferno, which seems to be nicely ventilated. But as i don’t have thousands of pounds to buy the best Giro, Bell, Met, Catlike, etc etc.

If you want light and airy, look at the higher end road helmets. I don’t think you can go that wrong, just go to a shop try a few on and see what fits. That is the most important point, far more so than brand, colour, ventilation etc.

Peyote
    Free Member

James Cracknell went down in my opinion after that programme, but anyway I’d stick with my cheap and cheerful Giro Havoc/Indicator (had to buy a new one when I turned up at a race and forgot my helmet!)

mokumer
    Free Member

Yes I agree with WARTON: The wearing of helmets should be a legal requirement just as wearing safety belts when driving a car .
    It a protection that is invaluable .
    Anyone who has had a close shave falling with your bike would agree ..Im sure.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Probably S-Works MT as I find Specialized helmets fit my noggin pretty well.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ll stick with my old Flux

qwerty
    Free Member

oh – teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee jayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy……………….

I_did_dab
    Free Member

If I ‘had’ to wear a helmet it would be the £9 one I just got from ALDI for leaving at the station with my hack bike.
    My other more expensive ones (Giro Monza, 661 resomething) I’d save for when I ‘chose’ to wear a helmet… 😉

Peyote
    Free Member

Yes I agree with WARTON:

Me too, chocolate cake would be good. I always get sick of fruit cake for birthdays. Don’t know why people don’t just use ’em for Weddings, Christenings and Christmas. 😉

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Giro all the way for me, can’t get a E2 any more so am wearing the Athlon now. Well vented and fits my noggin great. Would love a xar but they are big bucks.

mrmo
    Free Member

anyone for some chocolate hobnobs?

tinoflyer
    Free Member

I try not to take risks so I wear a Motorbike helmet.

But others may not be as safety conscious.

grum
    Free Member

Yes I agree with WARTON: The wearing of helmets should be a legal requirement just as wearing safety belts when driving a car .
    It a protection that is invaluable .
    Anyone who has had a close shave falling with your bike would agree ..Im sure.

I agree, people in cars should be forced to wear helmets. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am liking my new Xaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

Wookster

2nd the spesh S works Mtb lid really rate it as a lid ESP in hot weather.

Pieface

I have a dirty smelly helmet for my rough riding, and a clean helmet for office rides

bigjim

Anyone recommend a helmet for narrow but long heads, if that makes sense? Think Alien heid, without the second one in my mouth though. They always look so wide on my narrow face. Need to replace my Xen after using it as a brake last year still, but its longer than 2 years and I cant find the receipt for the madison replacement.

bananaworld
    Free Member

the screaming vacuous face on the side

Cannot unsee!!!!!!

Also, pickelhauben rule.

warton
    Free Member

mokumer – Member

Woah there sonny, I just asked who wanted cake.

Northwind

I’d wear the ones I already wear

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I’m eating birthday cheesecake.
    I like that POC helmet – looks like something a Star Wars Rebel soldier would wear. That’s going on my birthday present list, only 365 days to go 🙁

scotsman
    Free Member

In my humble opinion I think all cycling helmets look shite and unless you are wearing the yellow jersey in the TDF generally everyone looks like a tit in one 😀
    But I do wear one so POC receptor flow for me at the moment when mincing the trails and not so gnarr DH and full on moto x Shoei VFX-W for the very gnarr DH, only minimal grams heavier than MTB DH full face helmet and I do race enduro (with an engine) also.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m confused by the question. Why would being legally required to wear one make a difference to my choice of what to wear? It’s not as if I have a choice of two helmets, one of which I use for leisure riding and one for races. Can’t believe ton was trolling, as he never does that, so what was his point?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘If helmets were to be made compulsory………………….?’ is closed to new replies.