Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • If even Dan thinks it’s bonkers…
  • ampthill

It’s a bleak mid-Wales hill with a conifer plantation on it.

Well it’s clearly not?!

There isn’t much upland Britain and I don’t think this is the way to treat it.

The Bike Park below is fine IMHO

AlexSimon

sirromj

Awesome, but please show us the one shot all the way down uncut from the drone following.

I thought the same – I reckon the only reason they didn’t do this is because it wasn’t ever done in one run. Maybe that crash made them miss that out.

richmtb

That was awesome

nstpaul

Looking at the instagram post of this it would appear that there’s quite a few roads/paths heading up to this ridge.

Ridgeline

Northwind

Even if they don’t do any dismantling that’ll be invisible in a couple of years. If they knock down the lips it won’t even take that long.

I think Gee’s style and the stuff he’s best at- ie going really really fast and accurate and also going big at the same time- is just kind of hard to show. Like, I enjoyed this but even though it’s mad it didn’t really blow me away like Semenuk’s shot. As impressive as it should be it just doesn’t really look it. But there’s not many riders in the world that’d be up for it, with the sheer speed required and the narrowness and consequence.

MSP

As impressive as it should be it just doesn’t really look it

It’s all in the editing, and matching the shots to the music, The Semenuk clip from unreal, and the first couple of Danny MacAskill videos pretty much got it perfect. I don’t think anyone else has got it quite so right as them.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I really liked it but I’d like to a POV cut of it too to really appreciate the speed, height and length of some of the gaps he’s making.

And I reckon Matt Jones vid done at Rushmere a couple years back is also excellent.

mashr

They’ve already followed up with the photos, so wouldn’t be surprised if other views of the line start appearing too

finephilly
    Free Member

That is way gnarly.
    The hill is also steeper than it looks on video.
    Don’t worry about the enviro impact ‘cos the grass recovers quickly and it’s obviously built as a one off, rather than sustainable trial for extended use.
    Props for a clean run, you wouldn’t try it often.

tomaso
    Free Member

Thats why there are no trees on the sheep nibbled upland grassland.

Great video and amazing footage of that rare the breed freeracer.

argee

That’s a hell of a trail, always hated step downs that you hit at speed, so easy to overshoot, or go nose down quickly, at those speeds and distances between the jumps he’s got barely any wiggle room to have a rough landing or having to recover from anything, i just look at those 70 foot gaps and see myself slowly dead sailoring!

honourablegeorge

Reminds me of the quarry trail they had at Revolution, I paced out one of the gaps near the bottom. It was 70-something feet from takeoff to lip, but only 40 or so from that lip to the next takeoff. No wiggle room whatsoever.

erictwinge
    Free Member

Nice bit of environmental vandalism for a 3 minute YouTube sensation.

u ok hun?

stanfree
    Free Member

Nice bit of environmental vandalism for a 3 minute YouTube sensation.

Get a grip , typical stw response. That will be gone in no time at all even if left untouched.

NewRetroTom

Also by the looks of it there are some big mine workings with spoil heaps from 19th century mining just the other side of the hill.

ElShalimo

Get a grip , typical stw response. That will be gone in no time at all even if left untouched.

I’ll come around and crap on your lawn then given you’ve got such a liberal attitude. Can I use your tea towel to wipe my arse?

See you soon
    💋💋💋💋💋💋

russianbob
    Free Member

Having helped on the dig team last year I was amazed by just how much had to be cleared after just one year of being left. Couple of years more and everything apart from the big features would be pretty much gone. Clearing next year will be a good deal of work.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ll come around and crap on your lawn then given you’ve got such a liberal attitude.

As long as you film it and put it up on YouTube. Yeah, why not.

ElShalimo

I’ll bring my production team, their Mitsubishi Penetrator/Lady Pleasurer (can’t remember the correct name) might damage the lawn but it’ll grow back.

It’s worth it for 3 minutes of fame. I just hope I don’t get stage fright and crimp at the wrong time. I just want to leave a nice flowy single-track

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon Dan’s seen this thread and is up there now repairing the damage with his tears of guilt and sorrow.

Trimix
    Free Member

FFS. Some people do seem to lose a bit of perspective.

Wales seemed pretty big last time I was there. If its missing a small section of grass in exchange for entertainment to thousands, if not millions of us then that’s a fair swop.

Given that a lot of Wales has suffered from mining slag heaps, open cast mining, forestry, farming, roads, houses, shopping centers…………etc. I really don’t think Gee has much to answer for.

It will grow back. Meanwhile the climate is fcuked due to our greed, the governments lack of ambition and businesses wanting to make money. Enjoy what’s left while you can.

ehrob

awesome video, awesome riding.

struggling to get wound up about the environmental impact, everything i can see is temporary and reversible, and although i haven’t been to site, i’m unsure what ecologically valuable receptors could have been impacted.

seems like a pretty low environmental impact marketing exercise compared to a lot others which involve larger crews, big air miles etc on the face of it.

ElShalimo

A different perspective:

The mines and slag heaps have been there a very long time and are from a time when the environment wasn’t thought about. Given what we know now, then deliberately digging a track to create ramps for jumps isn’t the best idea. As stated above the grass will grow back quickly but the “engineered” bits won’t repair in our lifetimes.

It’s a great video and he’s an amazing rider but it’s a bit irresponsible as it is solely advertising their brand/lifestyle etc. There’s loads of existing places he could have done something equally amazing to demonstrate how great a rider he is and how their aspirational lifestyle and super dooper brand is the best thing ever etc. etc.

Meanwhile the climate is fcuked due to our greed

Do you think they did this for shits ‘n’ giggles or do you think it’s more about raising brand awareness leading to revenue opportunities?
    If it was the former they’d have done it without the drone footage, sponsors, cool edits for da kids etc….

nickc

but the “engineered” bits won’t repair in our lifetimes.

what’s your point caller? There are Iron Age hill forts that’ve been around for literally thousands of years that have had precisely zero impact of the wider environment. Moving a bit of top soil around is not the same thing as a slag heap. I think a sense of perspective is required.

weeksy

I despair of this place.

ElShalimo

Oh dear, I’ve just been so foolish. I failed to recognise the national importance of some ramps; they are part of our rich, cultural history equal to Stonehenge, or Tre’r Ceiri, or even the hallowed Back o’Nationwide Swindon.

I’m going to break Tier 3 rules and drive down there now to protect them from loony, liberal, lefty, greenies.

🤪

martinhutch

I’m going to break Tier 3 rules and drive down there now to protect them from loony, liberal, lefty, greenies.

Take your bike, then this could be literally as well as metaphorically be the hill you are prepared to die on. 🙂

ElShalimo

🤣🤣🤣

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘If even Dan thinks it’s bonkers…’ is closed to new replies.