Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • If cetaceans are so intelligent..
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Why do they get stuck on beaches..?

Derek and Clive said it best (search for ‘whales are retarded’)

I’d post the video up but the language is fruity.

maccruiskeen

If humans are so clever why do they drown in the sea?

perchypanther
    Free Member

If only there had been a snail …….

cranberry
    Free Member

I don’t get whale-o-philes – Breakfast on the BBC were declaring the beached whales a terribly sad thing, rather than a damn good feast for a lot of very happy seagulls and billions of microbes ( and the opportunity to deploy a large amount of explosives )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_whale

RustySpanner

Krill have feelings too.

neilthewheel

🙂
    Do they feel krillie?

willard

If you had no arms and only one leg and fell over, would you find it easy to get back up? Similar sort of thing. More or less.

Moses

Because their sonar gets damaged by high-intensity low frequency sound produced by submarines. Then they can’t navigate properly and get washed ashore.

CraigW
    Free Member

They could have been injured previously, eg if they were hit by a boat.
    Or they could have eaten rubbish. Some of these stranded whales have been found to have stomachs full of plastic bags etc.

RustySpanner

Junk food?

jon1973
    Free Member

I saw a dolphin washed up on a beach once, I came back a few hours later to he to try and move it but in the end I couldn’t see the porpoise.

jimdubleyou

Because their sonar gets damaged by high-intensity low frequency sound produced by submarines. Then they can’t navigate properly and get washed ashore.

This is slightly disingenuous. Submarines do not inherently produce sounds that damage whales.

Some are fitted with Low Frequency Active Sonar (LFAS) which is pretty much proven to hurt whales.

Whether or not that is the cause of strandings is up for debate (strandings were happening well before LFAS was invented).

wwaswas

I follow a journalist on twitter who’s there.

A spectator just said to one of the scientists examining;

“I reckon one of them hit them wind turbines”

yunki
    Free Member

I met a Welsh lad named Pricey (he had 7 brother’s and their mam had named all of them Pricey)

His party trick was eating a whole heavy glass pub ashtray, washed down with a couple of light bulbs..
    Last I heard of him he was getting his hand sewn back on after putting it into a ceiling fan on a remote Greek island for a bet..

Makes you think…..

Stoner
    Free Member

3 pints of whatever yunki’s having please!

Anyway, it’s all to do with Greenham Common.

fasthaggis

Why do they get stuck on beaches..?

Probably just mad by all the shit we dump in the sea and were trying to get closer and ‘have a word’.
    makes ya think

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner, please tell me that’s ‘shopped!

Stoner
    Free Member

‘Shopped or not, their grammar is appalling!

It’s better than the “Mercedes” whale above though.

wwaswas

Sadly not.

The apostrophe police are on the way.

[edit] too late!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I reckon they’re just bored with all that swimmin’ kinda thought to themselves “hey, let’s go do some evolution’in”

Failed in excecution is the outcome, t’is all.

teef
    Free Member

I heard a guy on Radio 4 this morning saying it’s because they mainly eat squid and there ain’t no squid in the North Sea. They were probably weak and dehydrated as they get all the water from their prey.

Whales have been beaching for millions of years and it’s nothing to do with man or sonar. They just ended up in the wrong place with nothing to eat.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Even though they’ve got to die somewhere, it’s sad when it’s so visible.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yer, Skeggy as your resting place is a bit grim innit 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

As Peter Cook said…

“Yeah, but they’re not. Whales are **** stupid. Can you mention one whale in the history of mankind that has had a record in the top ten? Can you? Can you mention one whale who’s written the equivalent of, er, ‘Othello’, Shakespeare, ‘Health & Efficiency’? They’ve produced nothing in the way of literature. All they’ve **** produced is a load of other whales and all they eat is **** plankton, and they call them intelligent. Can you imagine drifting along in the sea with your mouth open and a lot of **** plankton going in?”

“You’d like it, would you, just drifting around in the sea? And you can’t-, they’re such **** they can’t even breathe underwater. They have to keep coming up the whole **** time and spouting. Then some **** comes on telly and he says, “Oh, the whale is being wiped out by mankind, save the **** whales.” Well! During the war, did we notice a lot of whales w-, rallying round and saying, “Save England!” I didn’t notice many down my part of the world”

wwaswas

It’s been pointed out that the CND graffiti is actually a Mercedes logo rather than the CND symbol 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The submarine thing is BS, according to an expert on R4 this morning at least. And in anycase the whole thing about submarines is that they are stealth…invisible, which means being silent almost all of the time. No point in investing billions in a stealthy machine and advertising your position by emitting ‘high intensity’ sound.

jam-bo

This is slightly disingenuous. Submarines do not inherently produce sounds that damage whales.

Some are fitted with Low Frequency Active Sonar (LFAS) which is pretty much proven to hurt whales.

Whether or not that is the cause of strandings is up for debate (strandings were happening well before LFAS was invented).

LFAS is a system used from surface vessels or deep towbodies to detect submarines. and not in the north sea…

most likely scenario is they ended up in the north sea by mistake and starved.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do humans keep going up mountains and falling off their bikes and dying?

Why do they get stranded in inhospitable places and die? I bet coyotes and lizards stand around the corpses of adventurers and wonder about the mystery of it all.

For all we know they have a highly advanced sonic society* and they are commuting ritual sacrifice. Or they are cetacean Buddhist monks trying to make a point.

* the name of my next band

RobHilton
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

cetacean intelligence: not linking to FB stuff that normal people can’t see because they dont have a login 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s the Highly Advanced Sonic Society please. Only after our first album goes platinum can you shorten it.

Ok well maybe not platinum.

molgrips
    Free Member

Adams again – with a quote that at first seems flippant but is characteristically profound, whilst still being funny.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Highly Advanced Sonic Society

Too much of a mouthful. I considered it, but I am an expert in this field so just go with it; you won’t regret it.

Stoner – Member
    cetacean intelligence: not linking to FB stuff that normal people can’t see because they dont have a login

Get with the times granddad – me & Mols, we’re like this on FB

hammyuk
    Free Member

“he’s sooooo priitttyyyyyy…”

maccruiskeen

Even though they’ve got to die somewhere, it’s sad when it’s so visible.

Whales probably think the same thing about Osama Bin Laden

CountZero

It’s being suggested the pod followed large schools of squid from deeper water that were sucked down into the North Sea, which is very shallow, the whales got lost and disorientated and ultimately starved without their main food source, and there’s bugger-all in the North Sea that a bunch of 50-ft cetaceans could survive on.
    It’s terribly sad, these creatures have been hunted almost to the point of extinction, and these young whales die like this.

fasthaggis

Whale stranding news update.

Makes ya think

bigrich

mercury accumulation. Mad as Hatters.

welshfarmer

Hmmmm, makes you think. Just how DID adjustablewrench get rid of his family heirloom 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/strange-family-heirloom-is-it-illegal

teasel
    Free Member

It’s wench and he’s a she.

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘If cetaceans are so intelligent..’ is closed to new replies.