Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • If an actual day was longer , would we cope
  • radoggair
    Free Member

i was watching some tv programme/film whatever the other day and there day was 37 hours long ( sci fi probably).

So if our day was say 30 hours long, would we be able to cope with it, based on still having the same amount of sleep you have the now.

I sleep on average 6 hours a day, so to be awake 24 hours between sleeping patterns would be tough. Would the body start learning to custom itself to that type of day?

Northwind

If our day was 30 hours long we’d have evolved for that cycle I suppose.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Which is a shame because I could do with an extra 6 hours a day to revise.

Now where did I put those military grade amphetamines….(joke for the lawyers)

Ambrose

Some friends were working ‘in the field’ making geological maps in northern Norway, way above the Arctic circle. Thus, summertime there was 24 hr daylight. They slept when they were tired, woke up later on and went back to work. They were in Norway for six calendar weeks (i.e. 42 days) but only slept for 37 nights.

So yes, I’d say we’d cope.

TheWrongTrousers

30 hour days has always been my fantasy : sleep/bed for 10 hours, work for 10 hours, play for ten hours. Easy …

mboy
    Free Member

Can’t remember where I read it (will google tomorrow), but there has been studies on this kind of thing, and theory was that most of us have a natural body clock for a 25hr day, not a 24hr one. Meaning everyday we’re not as tired as we need to be when we should go to bed, and of course we want the extra hour lie in in the morning! Stands to reason I’d say, I have over periods of unemployment, turned a week into 6 discrete cycles of sleeping then being awake. So effectively I’ve on several occasions had a 6x28hr day week…

The human body is a very adaptable thing. Though if ANYBODY could ever figure out how to make me tired when I’m supposed to be, and alert when I need to be, you’d be my hero, cos I’ve been trying for decades and I’m definitely not normal, an “evening person” if you will…

aracer
    Free Member

there has been studies on this kind of thing, and theory was that most of us have a natural body clock for a 25hr day

I’d go along with that – or maybe even longer in my case. Certainly I know that I have no problem coping with jet lag if going West (which effectively extends the day), but don’t cope well going the other way.

Cougar

Yeah, what mboy said. I’ve been unable to go to bed and unable to get out of it again for as long as I can remember. My gran used to say “you’re at the wrong end of the day.” I think, now, that I naturally run at a “day”longer than 24 hours.

butcher

Can’t remember where I read it (will google tomorrow), but there has been studies on this kind of thing, and theory was that most of us have a natural body clock for a 25hr day, not a 24hr one.

This is something that I have always considered true for myself. The 24 hour day has always felt like a challenge, trying to keep in sync. Oversleeping. Staying up later. Oversleeping. Staying up later. There was a time when every so often I’d have to miss a days sleep just to counteract it.

jam-bo

Lunar day is 24h50m

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Google circadian rhythms.

qwerty
    Free Member

i was watching some tv programme/film whatever the other day and there day was 37 hours long

radoggair
    Free Member

MIB, that was it.

Imagine 30 hour days though, how much riding you could do !!

We’d all be (STW0 pro level cyclists 🙂

doh
    Free Member

Imagine 30 hour days though, how much riding you could do !!

We’d all be (STW0 pro level cyclists

nope more time just spent on here i would wager.

my sleeping patterns have always been a bit wonky even as a little kid i was a night person. quite normal for me to have at least one 36hr day most weeks.

transporter13
    Free Member

I struggle with the short 24 hour days we have already

Like the poster above, I quite frequently have 1-2 36h days a week as I never seem to feel tired. Only ever had max 4hrs sleep from birth…..used to drive the parents potty 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Body clocks with 25 hour days?

Seems 3 million years of evolution got something wrong!

Solo
    Free Member

If an actual day was longer , would we cope

Somedays here, never seem to have an end.

No matter how much you want it to stop.
    😉

mintimperial

I could definitely do with at least 8 hours more per day, so yeah, I’d cope.

hels
    Free Member

“Seems 3 million years of evolution got something wrong!”

Or, further evidence that we are really aliens bought to earth from another planet, after a titanic space battle that spanned the galaxy etc etc

Solo
    Free Member

“Seems 3 million years of evolution got something wrong!”

Or, further evidence that we are really aliens bought to earth from another planet, after a titanic space battle that spanned the galaxy etc etc

Theres certainly some types on here who should qualify as Alien, or at least, not of this world.
    😆

And thats all the evidence you need.
    🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Body clocks with 25 hour days?

Seems 3 million years of evolution got something wrong!Or very right? If it was the other way round and we worked to a 23 hour cycle it’d be useless if a saber-tooth tiger attacked at 23:01, so an hour extra gives some flexibility to run away

Or just stay awake longer gives more time to breed, therefore natural selection favours those with more energy at bedtime?

OR a sedatery lifestyles going to leave people with more energy, if you were hunting/gathering you’d be doing that every hour of daylight you had, then probably sleeping right through the darkness? So we evolved for a 24 hour day, then got lazy.

On the other hand there are plenty of tribes who sleep in 2 sleeps, so they go to bed whent he sun sets, wake up at 2am, have a meal, do work, sing songs, whatever, then go back to bed.

STW fatties favourite book the 4 hour body explains some stuff about how to survive/thrive on about 2:30 of sleep a day! You just split it evenly so every 4 hours you sleep for exaclty 20 minutes, kinda how round the world yacht racers cope.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m definitely not normal, an “evening person” if you will

It’s normal or at least a normal type.

I was listening to a programme about this on the radio. In the morning, our serotonin levels in our brains rise and melatonin falls (I think, something like that anyway) which is why we wake up. However it happens at different times in different people. So morning people it happens earlier, and evening people later. The opposite thing happens in the evening of course, and at different times.

The problem is that waking up later is culturally associated with being lazy, so evening people face a whole raft of problems all through their lives. They called it ‘social jetlag’. In Denmark a college (equivalent of a 6th form) created two timetables, one starting early and one late, so the students could still do the same courses but at a time that suited them more. Loads of poorly performing people who had been failing suddenly became good students.

It’s a massive injustice. How many people hate their studies or jobs, and struggle through life, when it’s just a question of scheduling?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘If an actual day was longer , would we cope’ is closed to new replies.