Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • if all hell broke loose,…where would you ride to?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

If the earth was under threat from some catacylsmic event, and there was hope that in reaching high ground possible safety lurked…where would you ride to within reasonable distance of your home?

(Obviously you’d unlikely make it that far, because some halfbreed in an Audi, stuck in a 100 mile tailback would mug you of your bike on route)

🙂

wallop

Well, the brown lump in the Mendips is our nearest high spot – but it’s not very high.

colournoise

Hmmmnnn. High ground is the only safe place? Bit knackered for that round here…

Best assemble my bow, grab my knives, and hole up in the loft.

Northwind

I live on pretty high ground. But unfortunately right next door to about half a million people who don’t, so…

kimbers

Yeah, those Audi drivers don’t know where the bridleways are, when the staleites go down they’d have no idea how to read an OS map so I’d be safe, after all they’ve only ridden their Santa Cruzs round trail centres

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

near i’d go for the Wrekin, frikin cold on top, but not as cold as an impending ice shelf,…. slightly further afield, but infinitely doable Snowdonia is within reach, but the high peaks would be deluged for sure!

scotroutes

A couple of hours riding would get me to here

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oAVxQt]Cairngorm[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

FWIW, if all the ice covering Antarctica, Greenland, and in mountain glaciers around the world were to melt, sea level would rise about 70 meters (230 feet) so I could quite comfortable stay in bed.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Lovely,…just look at all that rock splintered and shattered by the last, near extinction cataclysmic event… 😀

..i’ve always fancied a water bed… 😀

Haze

martinhutch

When the next ice age comes I guess we’ll all be on little boats trying desperately trying to get to northern Africa.

Lifer
    Free Member

Blackdown is a few hours ride for me, but Ditchling Beacon is half hour down the road and not much lower…but neither are particularly high!

JoeG
    Free Member

Haze – are you in Wyoming? 😀

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_Tower

BillMC

I live at 482 ft above sea level. I’d roll over and go back to sleep.

cheers_drive

I live on the highest bit of the Fens but at only 30 or so metres above sea level that doesn’t really help. Nothing significantly higher within an hour or so ride either 🙁

Drac

Cheviot for me which is just over that way a bit at 2,674 ft it’s not exactly high but at least it’s a hill.

beej

Coombe Gibbet. It’s our only hope of salvation.

Plus, you can hang people there.

mattbee

How high is high enough? 120m is highest point near to me.
    That’s Portsdown Hill just North of Portsmouth.
    It’s not that high, or remote. It is easily within short riding distance though and far more importantly there is a WW2 vintage complex of tunnels (near on a mile and a half of chambers and connecting tunnels) inside the hill.
    It’s got power, inc generators, pretty easy to catch rain water through the chalk and I have a key to the heavily reinforced steel door….

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d probably visit my parents recent private island.

al

The pub.

crazy-legs

Does it have to be high ground? I could get to the top of Kinder Scout easily enough, presumably along with everyone else who is trespassing!

If I had to choose somewhere remote to lessen the possibility of a North Korean nuke landing on me, it’d be somewhere in NE Scotland. Nicer whisky than the west coast and fewer midges. Could ride there in about 3 days if I pushed it.

br
    Free Member

Like others, I could stay in bed – or just go to the high point of my garden if it got real rough 🙂

My current houses’ garden has more change in elevation than the actual highpoint above sea level that the town of my birth has, ie 3m.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m already here.. At the beach.

onehundredthidiot

I can see the cheviot out the window or the three brethren would make substantial supports for a tarp. Nice sightlines to pick off the zombies too.

lunge

Clent is as high as it gets for me, 300m ish, I could be there in 15 mins. I’d take my Kaffenback I think.

rOcKeTdOg

Lunge, as long as the café stayed open I’ll join u, 9 miles from me

welshfarmer

If sea levels would rise by 800 feet I could finally have that seaside property I always dreamt of 🙂

Think we are OK here for a while

MoreCashThanDash

The pub is the highest point in the village. And its got a play area for the kids. If it turns out it isn’t high enough, I’d hate to think Scott’s stock of ales would be wasted.

More seriously, an hours riding will see me up to 1000 ft above sea level.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Hop on the Jones and head up Bardon Hill, which is our highest point, although not that high at 270 meters above sea level, 170 meters prominence.

fettlin

I can see worcestershire beacon from the bedroom window, 1394ft above sea level.
    Could I be arsed to ride there if I knew there was going to be less bacon and more fish on the menu?
    Nope

deadkenny
    Free Member

Plan quick. There’s an asteroid that “probably” won’t hit us so there’s always a slim chance it might http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34004081/nasa-asteroid-capable-of-wiping-out-us-wont-hit-us-on-15-september-probably (BBC added the probably for extra drama I think).

and Kim Jong-un is threatening to start an all out war, so could be looking at nuclear wipe out once everyone else gets involved.

andyl
    Free Member

Well, the brown lump in the Mendips is our nearest high spot – but it’s not very high.

Hopefully whatever what coming would take out all the walkers before they got to there and told you off as “there are no bridleway up to here only footpaths” 😀

binners

The hill I live half way up (1,300 ft above sea level)….

My local is still quite high though. I’d head for there…

scandal42
    Free Member

Hop on the Jones and head up Bardon Hill, which is our highest point, although not that high at 270 meters above sea level, 170 meters prominence.

See you up there mate. If it’s looking really bad we could always have one last descent and go to the Bulls Head and get merry.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

This is a hypothetical I have often pondered. I’d avoid high ground cos everyone would go there, I’d melt into the more remote dense woodland up Cannock Chase such as the “area of special scientific interest” and would be hard to spot cos I have a green bike.

cookeaa

I’m in a pretty low lying part of Berkshire so I would probably head for the Ridgeway, trouble being I would normally pick it up at streatley but most of the direct routes take me closer to or over the Thames which is of course rising in this scenario… Reckon we’re probably done for in most apocalypse situations.

RustySpanner

Hmmm.
    Pendle Hill?
    Will be full of wierdos, tailback of broken, half restored VW Campers.
    Should be ok for homeopathic crystal massage, but no one will have remembered the skins.
    Or the can opener.

Stoodley Pike?
    Eternity with Chipps banging on about guitars and Salsas, Mark being aspirational all over the place etc.
    I’d rather drown.

Theively Pike anyone?
    I’ll bring the barbie and the whisky.
    We can watch Burnley burn together.

slowoldman

Hmm I’m at 76m so to allow for high tides I’d better pop up to Poynton.

chvck
    Free Member

I’m at roughly 100m here but to get anywhere more than half a mile radius I have to go well below 70m so I think I’d be stranded!

nach
    Free Member

The trig point above the house I live in. I thought Stoodley Pike was higher, but it turns out it’s a few hundred feet smaller and I already live partway up the bigger climb.

RustySpanner

The one great comfort in the event of an impending tsumami is knowing that Cheshire will be obliterated before I am.
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘if all hell broke loose,…where would you ride to?’ is closed to new replies.