Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Idle speculation – Rock shox Rs-1
  • ferrals
    Free Member

When bored at breakfast I quite often browse top end xc bikes just so I dont waste time deciding when my lottery number come up 😳 😆

Noticed that none of the top end complete bikes I’ve been drooling over seem to have RS-1’s specced.

I know there were some comments they weren’t as good as SIDs. Have they fallen out of favour already?

nonk
    Free Member

I would say so yes
    Not sure how they stack up weight wise but having serviced a fair few I would say that the fairly basic open damper that they have compared to other forks at the price point is gonna go against them

tomhoward

They’re awful.

Mega flexy, not that much lighter than a pike and mega expensive.

Look nice though…

wwaswas

Look nice though…

and very easy to differentiate from other brands on a sponsored riders bike – helps the brand get their money’s worth.

Not that this is why so many sponsored riders use them, oh no 😉

cubicboy
    Free Member

I have one and it’s great

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden them, but its rare to come across someone heaping praise on them. And that’s before considering they tie you into yet another hub standard.

If i were looking for an XC Superbike i’d be wanting a Fox 32 Step Cast

steve_b77
    Free Member

Conversely I really rather like mine, they’re definitely better than the MY15 Reba RLT’s I had on my previous bike.

The hydraulic lock out is brilliant with it’s adjustable flood gate, so you can get them properly locked out for climbing safe in the knowledge they’ll blow through if you forget to turn it off.

Taking the wheel in and out is a bit of a pain as you’ve got to line the legs up carefully before you put the maxle back in, but other than that I;ve not had an issue.

And they do look superb

ferrals
    Free Member

Agreed they look good, like said, no way I’m buying any, just surprised they don’t seem specced on any 2017 bikes

otsdr
    Free Member

Cube and Canyon are still speccing them…

Bream
    Free Member

They are still specced on the 2017 S-Works Epic Di2. I nearly bought them last year, very nearly, in fact I think I would have but for being offered a super deal on a complete that didn’t have them.

They do look nice mind but as others have written above, that’s probably their only strong point when compared to the high end competition.

ferrals
    Free Member

purely based on magazine reviews I get the impression slightly heavier, slightly flexier but a lot plusher. Personally given the weight of most xc racers* I’d have thought the plushness was a greater benefit than the flex being a detractor, but I think the wieght is a stumbling block

*massive generalisation I know, but I struggle as sub nine stone to get forks nice and supple to start without being wallowy

tomhoward

That epic isn’t officially available in the uk though…

steve_b77
    Free Member

They’re definitely very good over small bumps just soaking up trail chatter with ease. They also appear to be stiffer than a normal fork in the fore/aft plane

tomhoward

It’s just in the twisting motion that they are as stiff as overcooked spaghetti…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Idle speculation – Rock shox Rs-1’ is closed to new replies.