Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Iditarod-Lite?
  • I haven’t been on the forum for a long time, so apologies if this has been suggested before. I would love to do the Iditarod – but there are loads of logistic reasons why I can’t; in addition to being nowhere near fit enough, or brave enough. However, I am curious if there is a much smaller scale event/ride possible in the UK? I would have thought a winter route in Scotland, point to point over, say, 3-4 days, self supported might be feasible. My question is; does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable route? Criteria would involve some sort of recognised route/trail, snow and remoteness. If such a ride was feasible, my second question, out of curiosity, would be how many people might find this appealing? Any thoughts? Am I on my own on this one?

Guess sooo

epicyclo

Do the ‘Puffer solo first for training 🙂

I like your idea. We could make it happen – a self organised event – if enough people were interested. There’s plenty potentially suitable routes up here.

shaggy

I’ve thought about this a bit. 3-4 days self supported point to point is not feasable in this country, certainly not in the style/speed of the ITI. I’m planning on doing some routes in the Cairngorms this winter. That would be my pick of remote areas.

There are other, shorter snow races in the US that may be worth a look; Sheep Mountain 150, Arrowhead and Susitna 100 spring to mind.

epicyclo

Maybe a 2 day with an overnight then?

Trouble is we can’t guarantee snow, so it would have to be ad hoc.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

You can guarantee some snow, but you’d need to be high – like Cairngorm Plateau high. You’d be far better binning the bike and ski touring instead though (IMO).

kennyp
    Free Member

Nice idea, but difficult to plan given the uncertainty of snow here. From what I’ve heard of the Iditarod it relies on lots of hard packed snow that’s been around for a while. We tend to get blizzards that then drifts, is unrideable, and then melts. Last winter was pretty much the exception, though with a bit of luck the coming winter will be just as good.

If you were to try it, something like the Thieves Rd from Aviemore down to Fort Bill might be an idea if there was loads of snow over an extended period. I’d have thought though you’d want one of those bikes with the massive tyres, and even then I reckon you’d be walking a fair bit.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

It started out as the Iditabike, but later evolved into the IditaSPORT, because depending on snow conditions, sometimes XC skis are faster than bikes, sometimes not.

I attended the first three Iditabike events in the late ’80s, camped out with the sled dogs on the Iditarod Trail, risked my life in small planes, and had an amazing adventure even though I didn’t choose to actually ride my bike.

epicyclo

kennyp – Member
    Nice idea, but difficult to plan given the uncertainty of snow here. From what I’ve heard of the Iditarod it relies on lots of hard packed snow that’s been around for a while. We tend to get blizzards that then drifts, is unrideable, and then melts. Last winter was pretty much the exception, though with a bit of luck the coming winter will be just as good.

That’s why I reckon it would have to be an ad hoc thing, which makes it very difficult for an organiser to create an event, hence the need for self-organisation.

What tyres for fresh snow? 🙂

Thanks all. Looks like a maybe a 2 day with an overnight might be feasible. Just to be straight, I am not suggesting something akin to the Iditabike as that is way out of my league (for now..)and too long for this country, just something of a taster; remote and wild. I did the Raid Pyrenean this summer and I loved that format – a set route but you can do it when you like so long as you cover the distance in 100 hours – route card stamped at various checkpoints. Maybe a Scottish point to point with stamps either end so no mass start needed. Applicants who finish send off for a medal. Sound good? “Thieves Road” sounds like the right kind of name for a route, I’ll get the map out…

No idea re snow tyres – but would love an excuse to get a Pugsley.

epicyclo

Corrieyairack would be fun…

Pub at each end. Need to carry proper gear though.

“Mountain Bike Scotland” consulted, The Great Glen and Corrieyairack Pass route (p126)looks promising. In the depths of a typical Scottish winter (if there is such a thing) would there be snow on this route, or just on the higher ground? Could anyone offer some route suggestions to streth this out to at least 160k? Any other route suggestions welcome.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Iditarod-Lite?’ is closed to new replies.