Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • idiot proof CMS that presets well on desktop and mobiles
  • maccruiskeen

I know its a longshot, but…. I was wondering if any IT types frequent this forum 🙂

Actually – probably not the IT types as I’m looking for a CMS that an idiot can use.

For a few years I’ve been using indexhibit as a CMS, when I first started using it it suited my needs as it was more of an image presentation/folio thing than a blog platform (at the time wordpress looked too wordy and tool interactive/blog/commenty for my needs and had too much that I’d need to strip away). Basically i need to present documentation of past projects, with each project presented as a gallery of images with a little intro/contextual text.

Indexhibit worked well enough for that and even with my fists made of ham and short attention span I was able to install it and set it up without much sweat. However the downside is… its just a mess when viewed on a phone.

Any suggestions for a clean, attractive image driven CMS platform or template that is inherently phone friendly and would make me look talented?

danielgroves
    Free Member

WordPress, with a gallery plugin for your image galleries is what I would do. Mobile app for iOS, Blackberry, Windows phone and Android for updating on the move. Thousands of free responsive themes out there.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, again this is a job for WordPress. Sounds similar to my urbex site based on WP:

http://www.transientplaces.co.uk

maccruiskeen

I’ll look for some pared back wordpress stuff. Your site is nice ben but the ‘posted by’, comments, likes and shares – i’d want to be rid of all that, along with the archive etc. Just an index and a gallery for each item on the index. But if I can find a template that hides all that then cool

Mobile app for iOS, Blackberry, Windows phone and Android for updating on the move

I’m not looking to add to the site via mobile its more about the site displaying well and navigating easily on phones

bencooper
    Free Member

Dead easy to turn all that stuff off in settings 😉

maccruiskeen

Dead easy to turn all that stuff off in settings

if thats the case than ace – I’m basing my thoughts on looking at wordpress sites rather than using wordpress. In the past I just chose a CMS that didn’t have those features to switch on, rather than having them to switch off . But I guess once they’re off it wouldn’t occur to me that its a WP site 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, as another example the site I built for the shop has comments and stuff like that turned off for the pages:

Recumbents, folding bikes, electric and cargo bikes, custom manufacturing – Based in Glasgow, Scotland since 1998.

jonxmack
    Free Member

I’m biased because I absolutely hate it, but WordPress isn’t a CMS, it’s a blogging platform that for some reason people think is a good idea to try and bastardise and turn into a CMS. If you wanna set up a blog then WP is great, if you wanna set up an online store or anything that doesnt have the linear index > article structure, then why the hell use WP?

We use ExpressionEngine pretty much exclusively, but check out Craft, or Koken as they both seem pretty good.

bencooper
    Free Member

You have a point – if you want to build an enterprise-sized site, then WP isn’t the right solution. But it’s not a blogging platform any more, it started out that way but once it allowed static home pages and nested page structures it became a CMS. Again, my shop site is a good example.

maccruiskeen

We use ExpressionEngine pretty much exclusively

Not sure how much attention EE pay to sites that use their ‘Core’ but I expect I wouldn’t pass their ‘not engaging in commercial activity’ so otherwise its $300. My site isn’t a commerce site but it is my business calling card.

Koken looks nice though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘idiot proof CMS that presets well on desktop and mobiles’ is closed to new replies.