Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • iDiet is like giving up smoking
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If you try to do anything using only willpower you will fail. Simple fact of life.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Solo – what is leangains?

Jamie
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

**** that! The Mrs was doing her own version of that for a little while… I broke her and she now eats properly (although has become a vegetarian this week 🙄 )

Solo
    Free Member

If you try to do anything using only willpower you will fail. Simple fact of life.

I’m aware of the fact that I am a bit web-slow.
    But even I can spot the Troll-tastic value of that comment.
    😉

Solo – what is leangains?

I thought you didn’t read any my posts, if they contained more than four letters.
    😉

Anywayz.
    Its a website I stumbled across during some reading.
    TBH it lost me a bit with its BCAAs and fasting, blah, blah.
    Some of the stuff I read on there seemed quite obsessive.
    Ok, if you want to go there, but it seems more focused on a narrower set of goals.

Rather than lifestyle change, begining in the Kitchen.
    Which is more what I’m interested in.

🙂

oddjob
    Free Member

Leangains also seems to be motivated more or less entirely by vanity which was never (a great deal of) my motivation.

I just want to go fast 😈

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I thought you didn’t read any my posts, if they contained more than four letters

It looked like a poem, so I thought I’d give it a go… didn’t get much past leangains though if I’m honest.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Damn straight.
    Take constipation for instance. Just willing out that poo won’t work, you’ve got to really really squeeze too.

Jamie
    Free Member

I thought you didn’t read any my posts, if they contained more than four letters.

For the record, I usually stop after the second emoticon.

Care to elaborate on that? I quit smoking several years ago, using only my steely determination.

Solo
    Free Member

It looked like a poem, so I thought I’d give it a go… didn’t get much past leangains though if I’m honest.

😆

Excellent !.

If ever, back pedalling becomes an olympic discipline.
    I nominate you to win gold for the UK.
    😀

Breakfast this morning was bacon, scrambled egg, and a fried egg with a generous splash of worcestershire source.
    Followed up with a small black coffee.
    All at the Library cafe onsite at Warwick Uni.

Now sitting here listening to music, chewing the phat with you lot.
    😉

***sighs contentedly***

bakey

6 months or so here. I’ve had no problems and I love bacon and egg, chorizo omelette, smoked haddock and poached eggs etc for breakfast!Lunch needs planning – I usually taking in a mixed salad. I do cheat a bit on the beer alas – couple of pints during the week.

I’ve plateaued weight wise, and my long lost abs have made a re-appearance – not bad for an old 48 yo!

Solo
    Free Member

For the record, I usually stop after the second emoticon.

Would it help if I told you that they are manualled (is that a word ?)

Care to elaborate on that? I quit smoking several years ago, using only my steely determination.

Oh, don’t, just don’t go there.

It was all going so well.

Solo
    Free Member

6 months or so here. I’ve had no problems and I love bacon and egg, chorizo omelette, smoked haddock and poached eggs etc for breakfast!Lunch needs planning – I usually taking in a mixed salad. I do cheat a bit on the beer alas – couple of pints during the week.

I’ve plateaued weight wise, and my long lost abs have made a re-appearance – not bad for an old 48 yo!

Excellent !.

Bakey, I like your style.
    😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve started smoking again jsut so I’ve got something to use my steely determination on.

I have to force myself to smoke, so even getting addicted is a challenge.

Solo
    Free Member

I quit smoking several years ago, using only my steely determination.

Did you forge your wok in your crucible of white hot steel ?.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Having embarked on my iDave adventure in July, with an initial zeal that lasted a couple of months, I’ve got down from around 14st to around 13st, and stayed there.

Briefly touched my target weight of 12.5st in September but have since got back up to around 13 stone.

Had done a fairly good job of habitually steering clear of the verboten stuff, in general terms. Have cut out milk in tea/coffee, butter, bread, have largely replaced white carbs such as spuds and rice with lentils, other root veg mash, or spinach.

However, beer and cake consumption is on an upward curve as winter sets in. I’m doing an increasing amount of backsliding in the run-up to Christmas.

Will probably reset in January and have another go at sticking to it. But having lost a stone quickly, that has stayed off, it’s worked better than any other food regime I’ve tried.

alexxx
    Free Member

I still loved what I learnt off the iDave but the day I nearly fainted up Coniston Old Man was enough of strictly following it for me.

Taught myself a lot about what I’m eating for the sake of and what the other options available are.

Also like Dave said what you class a “proper” meal as is different as well.

Biggest change for me – moving to a lifestyle I was happy with… a lot easier I know when your a bit gung ho and young but living in the Alps and having climbing, biking, skiing so accessible means the weight takes care of itself just seem 50 quid down each week on £2.50 demis!

Winter is coming though.. so maybe those wheels of cheese and potato stodge pots will break me! who knows

iDave
    Free Member

Not sure I understand the fainting thing Alexx?

Were you not eating carbs at all or having small portions? That’s not the iDave diet…

Also when actually doing exercise and immediately after you can have simple carbs.

alexxx
    Free Member

Not sure what happened really I’d been doing it fine for a few months but hadn’t done much strenuous (downhilling) but after going up the hill i felt weak as hell and very light headed out of nowhere.. got to the bottom and flapjack sorted me out but the feeling was enough not to want to repeat it somewhere that could be more dangerous.

I’ve been flying up 3000 meter mountains here no bother even without any food in the morning since eating a shocking amount of carbs.

alexxx
    Free Member

lunchhhhtimeeeee

trailmonkey

But the temptations are worse and manifest!

Panetone

😆 middle class dilemma of the year

in all honesty, once you work out what you can eat then idieting is really easy and really tasty, in fact i don’t really see it as being a diet at all.

the hard bit is not snacking but let’s be honest, for most of us it’s snacking for years that has got us into this mess.

cheers_drive

I’m not sure about the specifics of the iDave Diet but I guess it’s a low GI type diet from what people have said. I’ve been trying largly sucessfully to ellimanate white carbs from my diet for the past 7 weeks and have just got down to 14st (6’3″).
    Elliminating the starchy food has been easy but I’ve got a terrible sweet tooth so cake and some sweets have snuck in on a few days. I also haven’t managed to stick to it for breakfast where porridge or shredded wheat is often had when time is short.
    Homemade soup has been the tastiest and most filling change the diet.
    Here are my weekly weigh-ins (the variations are largely due to travelling with work where staying to the plan is difficult / impossible):
    95.7kg
    91.3kg!
    91.1kg
    91.1kg
    89.4kg
    91kg (after a weekend of being fed by my mum)
    91.3kg
    89.1kg

I’ll be happy if I stay at this weight undtil spring where I want to drop to 85kg. Less that that and I look too lanky and unhealthy.

emac65
    Free Member

Sounds like torture !I eat/drink whatever I like,it does err on the healthy side I suppose but it doesn’t cut anything out either.What I do is exercise it off, as for me it’s far easier to go for a 30 minute run than to walk away from a Mars bars……..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah emac calories out > calories in = weight loss.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where calories out is wildly variable and subject to loads of different factors that are not necessarily related to the number of miles you cycle or run…

tazzymtb

hmmmmm may have to give this new fangled diet thingymebobins a go

I’ll get my lardy arse on it on Sunday and see if I can find my inner waif

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

in fact i don’t really see it as being a diet at all.

Another one converted. Ch-Ching. 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

looks to me like the diet is just a structure for weak willed people to make them eat less crap.
    not a bad thing in itself but staying slim is easy if you eat well and exercise, it’s not rocket science and can be done without buying books, pills, going to diet groups or asking somebody called Dave on the internet.

tazzymtb

staying slim is easy if you eat well and exercise,

bit of a bugger with no structure to a working week and up to 90 hours a week with only grabbing what food is available on the go though. 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Excuses, excuses tazzy 🙄

🙂

tazzymtb

DD I’m still a massive 73kg, but hoping the magic of dave will get to high 60’s

molgrips
    Free Member

MrSmith, it’s easy for some people but not others. If you are one for whom it is easy you will not understand of course, so don’t assume that your personal experience is the same for everyone.

Unless you are trolling to appear arrogant, in which case carry on.

For the record I was never obese or what anyone else would call fat. But thanks to iDave I now understand a lot more about how the body works. More than you it seems.

MrSmith
    Free Member

For the record I was never obese or what anyone else would call fat. But thanks to iDave I now understand a lot more about how the body works. More than you it seems.

well done you, glad you know how your body works, it can only be a good thing.

don’t assume that your personal experience is the same for everyone.

quoted so you can read it back to yourself

StefMcDef
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

looks to me like the diet is just a structure for weak willed people to make them eat less crap.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

so don’t assume that your personal experience is the same for everyone

Thanks for that – doing the same as Mr Smith up there.

molgrips
    Free Member

don’t assume that your personal experience is the same for everyone.

quoted so you can read it back to yourself

Thanks, but that wasn’t necessary.

I would like to know why you act like such a c*ck on here though. I mean why be so negative? Really?

MrSmith
    Free Member

just because it’s a polar view doesn’t mean it’s negative it’s just a difference of opinion. i just suggested a diet was just a structure for common sense that those lacking in self discipline needed as a crutch to help implement a healthy eating regime.
    name calling isn’t necessary either.

i’m not a big enough cock to report it though. 🙄

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Went IDave dieting last year and lost nearly 10KG.

I did have it too loose though.

After a bad time this year where I ate and drank too much when workign away and too many hotels, I put some of it back on (not all) and went back IDave dieting this September.

It shifted 4kg’s but it was very slow at coming off.

Now on the Dukan Diet and its dropping off quite rapidly but I have stayed on the (protien only) attack phase for three weeks now due to unnavoidable hotel nights where its virtually impossible to eat the Dukan way.

Nearly at the weight I was last year (1kg to go) and I am hopeful that I’ll loose another 4 KG’s before sacking it off for Christmas for the festivities.

molgrips
    Free Member

But MrSmith – it’s not about unhealthy food vs healthy food. I could eat beans on toast, a roast chicken sandwich and some nice pasta or potatoes in the evening, with snacks of fruit and glasses of milk – that would be very healthy, but would not necessarily help weight loss.

It’s not about finding the willpower to kick junk food.

Remember the traditional advice to athletes is eat lots of carbs.

MrSmith
    Free Member

that would be very healthy

if it was wholemeal bread/pasta. if not it’s a lot of high GI refined white flour and potatoes (with some nice protein added)
    my point is you don’t need a written diet guide if you have a basic grasp of what’s in food and don’t eat like a pig.
    obviously some people need that written down and something to follow to do this.

remember not all carbs are created equal.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘iDiet is like giving up smoking’ is closed to new replies.