Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Identify my apostrophe's and any photo's you care to be proud of
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

[pedant] Grrrr… [/pedant]

xherbivorex
    Free Member

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Spooky… as if by magic THIS appeared in the Gruniad today..

Apostrophes are, however, quite simple. Some books list as many as eight uses for them but they are just trying to confuse you: there are only three to worry about.

organic355
    Free Member

unknown
    Free Member

There’s an argument that photo’s could be correct. If “photo’s” is a contraction of “photographs” that is. It’s not an argument I agree with mind, but it is an argument.

Of more concern: of which you care to be proud.

zokes
    Free Member

There’s an argument that photo’s could be correct. If “photo’s” is a contraction of “photographs” that is.

Hmmm. Whilst archaically correct, these days, the contraction “photo” is so commonplace, it would be expected that an apostrophe would mean the possessive.

I think.

Cougar

I’ll go and amend the thread title to “photoes” immediately.

Apostrophe abuse always confuses me. It’s not particularly difficult but I understand that some people just don’t get it. They’re not very good at written English, or dyslexic, or they struggle with text entry on a mobile device, or they’re just plain idle. And you know, that’s fine.

But here’s a tip. If you find yourself in this category: just don’t use it. A missing apostrophe is far less distracting than an extraneous one.

Simple’s.

CountZero

Cheer’s, Cougar! 😆

Dobbo

Who care’s.

scuzz
    Free Member

Thank`s

Mister-P
    Free Member

Who care’s.

You pretty much summed up the problem with modern society as a whole in two words there.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

But here’s a tip. If you find yourself in this category: just don’t use it. A missing apostrophe is far less distracting than an extraneous one.

Although maybe not as distracting as a misplaced colon. :]

zokes
    Free Member

The difference between knowing your shit, and that you’re shit

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Identify my apostrophe's and any photo's you care to be proud of’ is closed to new replies.