Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ideas to stop BB shell creaking
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve tried ptfe tape, copper grease and loctite. What else?

And yes I know the threads may need chasing. What OTHER ideas?

geoffj

You 100% sure it’s that?

igm

New BB? Could be the bearings.

Keva
    Free Member

it could be the pedals creaking if you’ve already tried that lot on the BB. I’ve found it on one of my bikes before, swap the pedals and then silence…

molgrips
    Free Member

It really sounds like it, and only one side too. Bearings feel silky smooth. Pedals are fairly new, their bearings are fine but I guess it oculd be their threads. Although, I have changed cranks and it still does it.

Hmm.

I’m thinking he shell and the threads may have ovalised over time, since if I use tape it goes easy, harder, easy, harder as I tighten it up. Maybe threadlock and back it off 1/4 turn…

jekkyl

isn’t this about the 4th thread we’ve ahd today about creaky bbs? is there a curse? mine is also creaking at the mo and going to replace this week.

nickc

BB shell has crack in it?

jekkyl

if it’s a gxp bb molly they’re down to 16.79 in halfords atm.

DM52
    Free Member

I went through something very similar, turned out to be the main pivot bearings for the suspension were the culprit. – Not too helpful a solution if you ride a hardtail mind.

petewon
    Free Member

Does it creak when your out of the saddle? Ive tracked a few of these down which I was 100% sure was the BB that turned out to be seatpost.

jfeb
    Free Member

FWIW, what I thought was a BB creak recently turned out to be a rear hub.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had creaks that were seatpost, saddle rails, chainring bolts, rear wheel QR, rear wheel replacable dropouts, crank/bb interface, stem bolts, pedals and suspension pivots. Tried all those… 🙂 Tis my road bike anyway.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My road bike creak after stripping headsets, BB’s, wheel bearings and the like ended up as the cable outer stop in the top tube creaking 😯
    Maybe not mtb but there is always sods law working somewhere, like chainring bolts, worn cleats etc

smiffy

I chased a creak round and round and eventually found it was a crank spider with 2 of 3 fixing bolts come slightly loose. (Bonty X)

letmetalktomark

I loosened off my stem so the creaking from that distracted me from the BB.

molgrips
    Free Member

There was a gap between the non drive side crank and the bearing’s plastic cover, so I thought I’d remove the BB shell, re apply the loctite and fit a spacer behind it.

Well, the BB was jammed completely solid.. (that’s going to be fun when it wears out 😯 ) but I noticed that the axle was actuall free to slide left and right. Oops. At the same time I swapped to a compact chainset which fortunately doesn’t require a spacer, it fits snug. Most of the creaking now has stopped, just a few clicks under high load now. That’s probably the frame or dropouts or something.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Clean your seatpost clamp. Worked for me!

molgrips
    Free Member

Simple test to see if it’s seat related – stand up and pedal.

Toasty

Mine was doing this, creaking and cracking like mad. I think the shell isn’t quite true on my frame, really needs facing. Stuck a brand new BB in it and got the exact same issue.

Went for a ride in a big rain storm over the last few days and it’s fixed! I think grit has lodged in the area that was creaking.

banks
    Free Member

Ride in the rain. All this dry weather is causing creaky bb for me

mikewsmith
    Free Member

earplugs or ignore it

failing that as above find out whats actually creaking

molgrips
    Free Member

mike, read my post, I already did…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

in that case there are still 2 good options there! Something else will creak sooner or later

shortcut

Stuff to check is:
    Stem, bars – disassemble and clean.
    Seatpost – remove, clean, check clamp is tight.
    Rear wheel – check the qr is tight.
    Grease the cassette free hub body.

molgrips
    Free Member

Something else will creak sooner or later

Tell me about it… probably cracked and broken layers of CF grinding against each other…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ideas to stop BB shell creaking’ is closed to new replies.