• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by rone.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ideas to solve hub skipping? (sunringle pawls issue)
  • rone

I’ve got two pairs of Reynolds Carbon wheels with Sunringle Super Bubba Hubs.

The wheels were are excellent and part of a bike package imported from the states.

I’ve had trouble with the hubs on both wheels – the springs are clearly sticking and not pushing the pawls
    back out when a ride takes off pressure.

Hayes sent me a pair of new freehubs and initially I thought they looked like a better design with longer springs – the hubs still do it.

I also suspected too much grease so I’ve played around with that too.

Any ideas whether I could stretch the springs out, or anything else I could try?

dc1988

Could you switch grease for oil? My old Mavic wheels said to use oil rather than grease in them and they never gunked up or suffered any issues

fossy

Switch to oil, or at most a small ‘film’ of grease.

wheelsonfire1

The type of grease does affect some freehubs. Shimano and DT Swiss do specific grease that’s expensive and comes in a tiny pot but works! Also check there’s not too much pressure when the QR is tightened, is the spacer between freehub and hub body correct?
    Hope this helps.

frogstomp

I’ve had trouble with the hubs on both wheels – the springs are clearly sticking and not pushing the pawls back out when a ride takes off pressure.

What are the actual symptoms?

The fact that it has happened on two sets of wheels suggests to me the problem may lie elsewhere – e.g. if it feels like it is slipping it may actually be a worn chainring causing chain suck.

rone

Thanks.

The symptoms are as you’d expect when you’ve not got pressure on the then apply pedal pressure it skips a tiny bit to the next pawl. It doesn’t throw you off the bike just an annoying clank.

It definitely gets better if you thin out the grease. But not perfect.

Hayes EU sent me some new freehubs and the springs were slightly longer but it was only a bit better.

It maybe does it’s 2-3 times per ride but is annoying for a posh set of wheels.

Failing all this I’m going to get it rebuilt on Hopes.

Shame as it means cutting the sapim spokes off.

Girlfriend has identical bike and hers does it too

Will try different lubes – the recommended one is hard to get hold of – Dumonde Tech oil. Looks like an import.

escrs
    Free Member

Have you thought about trying some stronger springs?

dc1988

I can’t remember what was recommended for my Crossmax hubs but I just used some decent wet lube and the hubs were still going strong after 10 years of use.

rone

@escrs – that would be good – but I assume they are not generic fit?

scruff
    Free Member

I had this one some Ringle wheels about 4 years ago, ended up getting a replacement set, same thing happened then got a refund.
    Are you a more ‘powerful gentleman’ build?

rone

Are you a more ‘powerful gentleman’ build?

Ha Ha – ish.

But my partner isn’t

I’ve always stayed away from Sunringle after a terrible hub years ago – but this came built on premium carbon rims – so I thought they’d improved their game.

BearBack
    Free Member

Did it start immediately or after a period of time where a Freehub service would tyically have been expected?

What I’m asking is would servicing with the recommended lube have been suitable to reinstate proper function as I assume you don’t have and or are not using the recommended lube?

I’ve seen pawl based hub springs unable to easily break the “fluid film” of incorrect grease between pawl and carrier in the freehub. So the release of the pawl back onto the drive ring is delayed. I assume that is what you have going on?

rone

@bearback – it started from new.

I had a theory that because wheels were intended for the USA market could they have a different lube than for UK? I.e for warmer weather generally.

But what you describe is exactly what I’ve got.

I’ve ordered some of this US Dumonde lube to try.

markspark
    Free Member

Are you sure the pawls and Springs are in the right way round? I’ve put a hub back together after cleaning before that then started skipping every so often and then bought new pawls and springs only to find out if done it wrong in the first place

rone

Yes I took photos of the original set of free hubs.

I have six free hubs!

(Two microspline and 4 XD)

Superficial
    Free Member

I had to look up the hubs – are they these ones? If so, you can adjust the hub for more precision (quicker engagement) or more robust engagement. I’ve never seen that before, seems crazy to me. If you’re spending money on a quick-engaging hub, it seems crazy to nerf that.

Inside new Ringlé Bubba & Super Bubba Clock’D adjustable engagement mountain bike hubs

I hate slipping – if they slip frequently under load then the pawls will be damaged (slightly) every time it happens until the edges of the pawls/ratchet are rounded off. Which might all happen outside of your warranty period. All of which is obviously no real help but I would insist on them sorting it.

If your springs were “sticking” and the pawls weren’t returning at all, the hub wouldn’t engage at all. If it’s just skipping one ratchet point with a horrible noise, for my money it’s because the ratchet isn’t machined precisely enough. Typically 1 (of 3) pawl will be engaged and the other 2 not engaged so the ‘1’ slips until the other ‘catch’ it on the next tooth.

mason_lee
    Free Member

hey,
    first, clean the thing with petrol and then start using oil.

rone

I had to look up the hubs – are they these ones? If so, you can adjust the hub for more precision (quicker engagement) or more robust engagement. I’ve never seen that before, seems crazy to me. If you’re spending money on a quick-engaging hub, it seems crazy to nerf that.

Yeah I’ve seen this. There’s a double ratchet space in the hub. (But only one ratchet in my hub)

But my freehub is not the clock version. So I don’t know if I can retro fit this.

There is space for two ratchets in the hub shell. But beyond that I can’t figure it out.

The most annoying thing to me is why isn’t there anyone else out there with the same problem. I’ve tried 4 freehubs!

Nothing on the net.

Due to Brexit sorting stuff is a pain – believe it or not Hayes EU have really helped but the importer for Hayes UK told me to sod off as I got it from the states.

Fantastic.

rone

Typically 1 (of 3) pawl will be engaged and the other 2 not engaged so the ‘1’ slips until the other ‘catch’ it on the next tooth.

This is exactly as how I see it.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

It’s a common issue with that type of freehub. I’m not sure if sun get their hubs of novatech, but they all seem to have the same issue. The pawls skip causing them to chip and then it’s a cycle of breaking down. I think part of the solution is to strip them from new and use oil rather than grease as others say.

rone

@woodslikesbikes – I’m glad you told me this I thought I was the only one!

Thanks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.