• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by lerk.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ideas to find slow puncture in 8ft diameter tube?
  • londonerinoz
    Free Member

It’s a tube that runs around the perimeter of a small temporary pool which holds the sides up and therefore the water contained by floating on the water.

Currently I’m having to pump the damn thing up every day with one of those crappy foot pumps you usually get for an air mattress. I have purpose made vinyl repair kit for it, I just need to work out how to find the leak.

Submerging it in water isn’t an option unless I want 1500 litres spilling out! I’ve toyed with the idea of putting some Stans sealant but I can’t rotate it and the pressure must be pretty low so I doubt it would make it’s way round several feet.

Any bodges or techniques used elsewhere?

wwaswas

wipe it over with a sponge and water with a fair proportion of washing up liquid in. You’ll get bubbles where there’s a leak.

Or there’s that fluid that plumber use that does the same job you could spray on.

[edit] maybe you should see if you can get 96″ wheels and tyres to match – the trails would really come alive.

scaredypants

water down some washing-up liquid and rub it all over

once you’ve finished masturbating, rub some on the tube and see where the bubbles are

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

hover your top lip over it at a distance of 0.5cm. that how I normaly locate my punctures. 😆

stumpy01

Yeah, get it wet and then wipe a soapy sponge over it.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Yeah, I had considered the soapy water option but I thought it might not be the best for water that stays put for 3-4 months, although perhaps the chlorine and pool pump might break down the soap.

theflatboy
    Free Member

If you brush clean water liberally over it you will probably be able to spot the leak without having to add soap/detergents, if you’re worried about contaminating the contents.

scaredypants

soapy water option but I thought it might not be the best for water that stays put for 3-4 months

did we misunderstand ?
    if the tube is already in contact with the water, then surely you should be able to see the leak if it’s under the waterline (no idea how you’d fix it in situ though). If above, as seems more likely, just wet it and see what you can see (as theflatboy suggests)

(have you checked the valve ?)

jon1973
    Free Member

Yeah, get it wet and then wipe a soapy sponge over it.

That’s just basic hygiene advice.

damascus
    Free Member

Can you put some slime inside to seal the hole? Either take the core out or make asmall hole and stick a patch over it?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Snoop

Might be a bit expensive though!

spooky_b329

Empty it, deflate it, turn it inside out, re-inflate, re-fill with water, find bubbles, mark, empty water, deflate, repair, turn correct way, re-inflate, refill, enjoy (or discover second puncture and repeat)

stu170
    Free Member

Snoop is just washing up liquid and water in a fancy pot and price hiked up

winston_dog
    Free Member

Snoop is just washing up liquid and water in a fancy pot and price hiked up

It’s super bubbly though! Agreed it’s a rip off at the price they charge for it.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, this is what it looks like.

Just splashing it with water isn’t working, and hopefully you can see now how soap would end up in the water – I don’t really know if this is an issue with the chlorine and pump potentially able to clear it. I seem to remember that there’s a surprising amount of water in it, so I think I’ll work out how much it costs me to fill it.

Filling the ring with water would seem to be the surest way, but obviously the whole thing would collapse unless I emptied it first. My final idea is smoke of some kind.

zokes
    Free Member

My final idea is smoke of some kind.

If you’ve not worked this out already, I very much doubt a spliff will help the situation.

dannyh
    Free Member

Surely just buy the next model up in the range?

Then submerge punctured one to locate the puncture. What could go wrong?

perthmtb
    Free Member

After floppy ring syndrome with one of those easyset pools, I bought the one with a metal frame instead, and three years on its still going strong.

Not much help for your puncture I know. For that I’d go the soapy water route – my kids put much worse in my pool and the chlorine tabs and filter are none the worse for it.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Hope you find the leak but more importantly where are you located that you are still using your pool and can we all come over to yours for a swim?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hope you find the leak but more importantly where are you located that you are still using your pool and can we all come over to yours for a swim?

The clue is in his username 😉 Remember its summer down here, and Xmas means pool and BBQ weather…

molgrips
    Free Member

Two litres of Stan’s and pretend it’s a bouncy castle for a few hours.

lerk
    Free Member

What you need is a friend with an ultrasound detector.

Fortunately I have access to one – unfortunately you’ll have to pay for my plane ticket! 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ideas to find slow puncture in 8ft diameter tube?’ is closed to new replies.