Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Ideas needed: how to encourage (incentivise) people to cycle (or run) to work?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

then it was assumed i was banned – i still get that when i arrive at clients offices.

What industry if you don’t mind me asking?

In IT, the changing rooms are full of keen cyclists, judging by occasinal conversations and the gear that’s hanging up (and the state of it – expensive gear well used).

That seems to be recognised, I think we’re thought of as fitness freaks rather than poor…

if you adjust the dress code in a place like that you could lower barriers

Good point, this would also raise morale significantly 🙂

On the subject of road safety, one woman I spoke to at a government office said that it was too dangerous to cycle down the dual carriageway to work. She was unaware, despite having been born and bred in Cardiff, that there was a shorter back route on quiet roads from where she lived to work.

Harry_the_Spider

We had a “Commuter of the Month” chart. Everyone submits their mileage for a typical commute and gets a tick every time they cycle in. Tot it all up at the end of the month and the person with the most miles gets a really rubbish prize. In our case it was a bag of Monster Munch. This kept people interested and didn’t put any noses out of joint as the same guy always used to win because he lived furthest away.

Keep a running group total and update the senior management every now and again. My MD wasn’t that interested until we told him that 6 of us had saved 3000 car miles in 6 months, then all of a sudden we started to appear on corporate presentations. Imagine what the numbers would be like for a bigger outfit!

trail_rat
    Free Member

oil. dont get me wrong – we have our share of fitness freaks how ever most of them are golfing fanatics and you simply cant arrive at the golf course on a bicycle – doesnt look good outside the club house.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

facilities

explain how much money they could save on fuel each day while getting fitter for the summer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

monthly raffle, every journey gets a ticket. make the prize that every one (not just the cyclists) want. like an extra day off/ meal out etc.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

One word. Infrastructure.

Look at Netherlands. put that in place and you will see people in suits peddling to work with a brief case on the rear rack.

Put the infrastructure in place and it will happen. No need to get sweaty, I think I was the only silly bugger I ever saw going hell for leather.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

My generation tend to have old bikes that are little used, early cheap MTBs mostly. They’ve probably never tried a lighter modern bike. Could you offer a freebie loan of a decent entry-level hybrid or road bike for a week, then hire for the rest of the month, for such folk? That way they could give it a go without too much up front. You’d have to get a shop involved and sort the fitting and trial through them.

And copenhagen cycle chic posters?

br
    Free Member

“Cycling is seen as poor man’s transport and cars as a status symbol “

I did some work in India, and one night out with some senior Managers of a supplier they were amazed I used a motorcycle for commuting. One even asked (apologised for asking too) “can’t you afford a car?”.

And then when I said it was because I could cover the 45 miles in an hour, they were amazed – as traffic (and the roads) there are dreadful.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Most of the stuff has already been suggested, but the gist of getting people to do something like this is to make it easy for them to at least try it a few times. The showers, changing rooms, borrow bike etc. all help to remove barriers to participation. Once you get a decent amount of people riding, running or walking to work then others will see that it’s actually a sensible method of commuting and will be willing to give it a go. You just need to convince enough of the ‘maybes’ into giving it a go.

If you’re looking to promote the concept then I’d concentrate on a couple of different angles:
    Speed and efficiency. In a lot of cases it’ll take no longer than travelling by car or public transport.
    Cost. You’ll have more in your pocket at the end of the month.
    Health. You’ll feel fitter and more alert, and likely maintain active good health for longer into your life.
    Time saving. What use is your commute by car? No need to go to the gym if you’re getting your exercise on the way to work.

I wouldn’t try and tie in with team sky. The image of the professional cyclist is so far removed from the cycle commuter that it is likely to be detrimental to the effort. People that need to be convinced to cycle to work are not cycling fans they need to feel that what they are about to do is normal, the Copenhagen cycle commuter image is much more useful than that of a pro cyclist.

ahwiles
    Free Member

if, for whatever reason, i haven’t ridden to work for a few days, i find it’s tricky to get started again.

not *that* tricky obviously, but the logistics need thinking about.

for me to cycle to work, i need:

1) change of work clothes at work
    2) a towel at work
    3) my bike lock at work

(yes, i could probably carry all that crap with me on my bike, but it’s such a faff i don’t bother)

cycling to work on tuesday is a task that begins on monday morning – remembering to take all the stuff i need with me when i drive.

so, on Monday, remind everyone that tuesday is ‘bring your stuff to work’ day.

on Tuesday remind them that Wednesday is ‘bike to work day’.

maybe we should do this nationally? – start a facebook group or something?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its only a faff to take that to work if you make it.

Rack on . Bag on the rack

Put in those items. Works for me . I use a caradice camper long flap.

I suspect by faff you mean you think the weight slows you down am i right ?

sbob
    Free Member

b r – Member

I drive a Jag and MTB – plus have Sky.

I own a Jag, a MTB, and the property I live in apparantly has Sky.

hjghg5
    Free Member

As for danger, at a previous company HR tried to ‘ban’ senior Managers commuting on motorcycles, luckily the Head Lawyer was a two-wheeler.

I was knocked off my bike by a car on the way to work last year. When my boss told her boss, his response was that I should be banned from cycling on road.

It only took the warning that I could do far more damage to myself on a mountain bike without the assistance of cars to make him back down 😉

I do wonder whether subsidised BC/CTC membership (and hence insurance/legal cover) would be a good perk, or whether it would add to the fear that cycling must be dangerous if you need insurance to do it?

ahwiles
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Its only a faff to take that to work if you make it.

Rack on . Bag on the rack

Put in those items. Works for me . I use a caradice camper long flap.

I suspect by faff you mean you think the weight slows you down am i right ?

i’ve only got a small bag*, it’s a bit of a squeeze fitting everything in. So i tend to move a few things everyday, a clean pair of trousers goes in, a shirt goes home, etc.

and, i can drive to work in 20 mins, it’s 45mins+shower by bike, it doesn’t take much ‘faff’ for me to give up and take the car. So my weapon against my inherent laziness is to ‘be prepared’.

My guess as to why lots of ‘cyclists’ don’t cycle to work, is that the logistics are too much to deal with in the morning.

if everything is already in place, and all one has to do is pedal, then it’s easy.

(*i got it for free 3ish years ago when i ‘did’ the passportes – yes i could buy some panniers etc, but i already spend enough too much cash on commuting gear, i’m trying to make the most of what i’ve got)

matt_outandabout

15p/mile.

My brothers old work paid the full 40p per mile, claiming that they would pay it for a car, so may as well use it to incentivise.
    They also offerred a minor pay rise to anyone who did not take a parking spot at the office (city centre, so lack of nearby options to scam it).
    They provided a shower, lockers and bike storage.
    Some people you will never convert.

franki
    Free Member

Judging by their comments about my daily commute, the only way you’d encourage most people to cycle where I work, would be to ensure:
    a) it never rained or snowed,
    b) it was never cold.

trail_rat
    Free Member

(*i got it for free 3ish years ago when i ‘did’ the passportes – yes i could buy some panniers etc, but i already spend enough too much cash on commuting gear, i’m trying to make the most of what i’ve got)

tbh i would start with a pannier or rack top bag before i even looked at clothing or lights. The pannier is almost as essential as the bike to a faff free commute.

bags are work of the devil.

adi66
    Free Member

Most of the stuff has already been suggested, but the gist of getting people to do something like this is to make it easy for them to at least try it a few times. The showers, changing rooms, borrow bike etc. all help to remove barriers to participation. Once you get a decent amount of people riding, running or walking to work then others will see that it’s actually a sensible method of commuting and will be willing to give it a go. You just need to convince enough of the ‘maybes’ into giving it a go.

If you’re looking to promote the concept then I’d concentrate on a couple of different angles:
    Speed and efficiency. In a lot of cases it’ll take no longer than travelling by car or public transport.
    Cost. You’ll have more in your pocket at the end of the month.
    Health. You’ll feel fitter and more alert, and likely maintain active good health for longer into your life.
    Time saving. What use is your commute by car? No need to go to the gym if you’re getting your exercise on the way to work.

All good stuff there, and I agree .

adi66
    Free Member

Just to try and get this thread back “on line” I was looking for things that a small bunch of people with good contacts can influence, to try an get more people active, and ultimately reduce the number of cars that are being used to come to work, and therefore ease congestion in the on site car parks.

Our local council already provide details of the cycle routes all over the city, so there is no excuses there, cycle paths do exists on many (but not all) of the routes to the site.
    On that subject the local council are a bit backwards with cycle lanes, they have recently taken out a huge stretch of cycle lane into the city centre (down a very busy main artery) to add “traffic calming” narrow white lined lanes !

As for Jaguars sponsorship or Sky’s Pro Team…. Its none of my business, and I no nothing about that side of the business, and to be quite frank it NOTHING to do with this thread, other than providing a link into the world of Pro Cycling, that I though might be worth possibly getting involved with, not what you know but who you know and all that. Cycling is Cycling, Running is Running.

Loving some of the ideas for free gear, and / or incentives, and the thought of a “company Boris Bike” scheme / loan to see if you like it bike fleet seems like a great idea too.

Keep the ideas coming guys, but please lets not get into any more silly arguments about who’s got the best car, and if the products produced by the company that pays my mortgage are better than the competition ! This thread was NOT intended to be a willy waving competition ! !

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Can you borrow a Boris Bike* for people to try, or a leccy bike, or both. They might get a little extra interest.

*Sophisticated people in that there London ride them, don’t they?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Can you borrow a Boris Bike* for people to try, or a leccy bike, or both.

The thing is they are horrible (relatively) heavy bikes and likely to put as many people off. I reckon you need something that one of us would spec for the job.

For other people to use I’d spec a flat barred geared road bike with, mudguards, rack and small panniers. let people borrow that and see just how easy riding to work would be. Would any of the local bike shops be willing to put together a demonstrator for you in return for a bit of free publicity within the workforce?

Electric bike will be a good idea for some people though as one of the barriers to participation may be fitness.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Our building managers provide free bikes/helmets for short trips in the day. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen them in use.

molgrips
    Free Member

How about a scheme where experienced cyclists who live near you can ride with you giving some tips and help?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

How about a scheme where experienced cyclists who live near you can ride with you giving some tips and help?

If you nearlly clip that inside pavement you can save about quarter of a second – I did it on my KOM and nearly wiped out – those were the faster tyres though

that kind of advice?

Edukator
    Free Member

How many days have you biked into work in the last year, adi66 and how many km do you live form work?

I did about half the working days when I lived 33 hilly km form work (and sometimes took the train home) and every day when 12km from work.

You know where the employees live, for how many is it feasible?

adi66
    Free Member

Edukator – Member
    How many days have you biked into work in the last year, adi66 and how many km do you live form work?

EVERY DAY[u] fOR THE PAST 61/2 Years, rain, wind, snow, sleet or shine ! !

My “normal” commute to my home site is 5.2 miles if I take the fast route. In the summer (when I’ll add a bit on for fun) the trip in is about 15, and the trip home 25 plus (whatever I feel like – if i’m on the road bike)

If I get posted a “another manufacturing site” as I was from September to February (just gone) my commute was 12 miles…. and that was EVERY DAY in the SNOW – ICE and bitter cold down country lanes (With some big ol – for this part of the country anyway, climbs in there) – starting work at 6am, for a 12 Hours day.

Oh and to add a bit of balance, I’m no super thin roadie ! I carry a few – cough – Extra Pounds 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

You’re in the group for whom it’s faster to bike then, especially on icy days when there’s no windscreen to clean and the cars crawl. Not far enough to get sweaty either if you dress light and take it easy in and thrash home.

Without revealing more than you should about the company, roughly how many other employees could easily walk or cycle in but don’t? Most of the people along my street walk or bike to work but all those that do are within 5km of their work place.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Ideas needed: how to encourage (incentivise) people to cycle (or run) to work?’ is closed to new replies.