• This topic has 32 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Ideas for using a cabbage
  • hels
    Free Member

My colleague just gave me some cabbage she grew in her allotment.

I am thinking chop it thick and stir fry with curry powder ?

Anybody have a better idea ?

carlos
    Free Member

Colcannon as a side dish to a roast or slow cooked joint depending on the type of cabbage. Green/curly is better

Soup but it’ll make you parrrp a lot

sharkbait
    Free Member

Football? (maybe a bit heavy + presumes it’s a whole football cabbage)

iolo
    Free Member

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Coleslaw is the best use of a Cabbage i can think of.

trail_rat
    Free Member

saurkraut….

Have no idea how you make it but know that good http://wildwestferments.com/ saurkraut is amazing on a beef sandwich !

bearnecessities

White or savoy? I’d say cut it thin and steam/fry, mix with butter and season with lots of pepper…. *is now hungry*

hels
    Free Member

It is half a cabbage – my desk-neighbour just suggested coleslaw I think that might be the winner – I hate shop bought stuff (salad cream bluueuch) and have carrots in the house, and have commenced a new controlled eating plan this week.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Throw it at cats. Would’ve been better if it was still while but sometimes you have to compromise.

lemonysam
    Free Member

adamthekiwi
    Free Member

Toast tsp each of fennel and cumin seeds, then grind them in a pestle and mortar with 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and a tsp of salt. Fry this in 2 tbsp of olive oil on a moderate heat for a minute then add half a cabbage, sliced finely. Toss this in the mix and fry for 3-5 minutes more, then add the juice of half a lemon. Turn down the heat, cover and leave to sweat for about 15 minutes. Really nice with a simple pan-fried or oven-baked fillet of salmon on top.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sliced thin, stir fried with ginger soy and sake , or sherry will do. Served with thinly sliced steak stir fried in sesame
    Oil. Top drawer

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Put it in the Houses of Parliament? No one would notice, the place is full of them.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Layer cheese on lightly toasted thick bread. Add crunched pre cooked bacon and a few chopped onion bits. Put under grill until golden on top. Throw away cabbage and then eat your cheesy snack.

headfirst
    Free Member

Toast tsp each of fennel and cumin seeds

How the hell do you get them out of the toaster? I’d say you’re asking for trouble there.

steveoath
    Free Member

Borsht?

bigrich

kimichi

yetidave
    Free Member

slice to strips, add a little milk, butter and a load of pepper and some other spices of your chosing, boil, serve as a side with some venison.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

– Sound effects for slasher films.

– Fry in sesame oil, salt and garlic until tasty (and all health-giving properties are proprtionally offset)

– Start a traditional cabbage rolling festival in an English hillside village

– Name it ‘Derek’ then carry under arm everywhere whilst talking to it as if boon companion.

– Use as main ingredient for worst ever Breville sandwich.

brakes
    Free Member

1. shred thinly, sauté in pan of hot oil and butter along with garlic and spring onion
    2. thrown in bin
    3. eat a pie
    4. get drunk
    5. sleep with your wife’s sister
    6. go to bed happy
    7. wake up with regret
    8. go for a bike ride

atlaz
    Free Member

If it’s a savoy style cabbage in winter months I basically do this:

1, Brown lardons (chunks of fatty bacon) to get some fat rendered off them
    2, Fry sausages in this fat to give them a bit of colour
    3, Throw in cabbage leaves and put the bacon back
    4, Add in some thyme, bay leaf, white wine and seasoning
    5, Cook down a bit keeping an eye on the level of liquid
    6, Lob some peeled potatoes under the cabbage
    7, Once the spuds are cooked, eat, accompanied by the rest of the wine

It’s not subtle but it’s pretty good

atlaz
    Free Member

sesame Oil. Top drawer

I keep mine on top of the work surface. Not sure it’ll make much difference tho

binners
    nickc

Scoop out the middle and use it as a hat?

rene59
    Free Member

Make Rumbledethumps, or cook in a saute pan with butter, bacon, onions and cream.

tang
    Free Member

Fry brown mustard seeds in hot oil till they pop then add fresh ginger and chilli, quickly add the shredded cabbage and then salt and tumeric. Stir fry it hot. Serve with chapatti.

mefty
    Free Member

Kimchi

PrinceJohn

Fry bacon, cut cabbage finely, chuck in cabbage, throw in some crème fraiche, loads of black pepper, enjoy.

colournoise

+1 for kimchi or sauerkraut, or slaw of some kind.

rOcKeTdOg

I hate shop bought stuff (salad cream bluueuch)

mayo surely?

Anyway, finely chop & stir fry with chorizo, serve with thick buttered crusty bread

thestabiliser
    Free Member

fire it out of a pneumatic cannon. like the A Team

jimmy

Shred it thinly, add about a tbsp of cider vinegar, salt, pepper and tspn sugar. Make that into a dressing first. Very easy refreshing salad to go with grilled meat.

wicki
    Free Member

stuff it!

google stuffed cabage.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for using a cabbage’ is closed to new replies.