Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ideas for toddler-friendly first Highlands trip
  • IHN

A friend is thinking of going up to the Highlands in June, with her fella and their two-year old son. They’re visiting family in Glasgow and wanting to go from there up into the Highlands for four/five days, coming back to Edinburgh.

They’re not massively outdoorsy but I’m sure they’d happily do low-level family-friendly walks and stuff. I think they want to book a cottage or similar somewhere rather than be moving around too much. Any ideas for somewhere to base themselves and things that will allow the grown-ups to experience that part of the world for the first time, but also keep Junior entertained?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aviemore.

McDonald highland resort has the pool complex if weather is shit, highland wildlife park down the road, and Loch Morlich beach for playing.

euain

Saw the title and was just coming in to suggest Aviemore as well.

Loads to do – as above and Reindeer, zip wires etc. at Alvie, Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore (my kids always enjoy that for some reason), Landmark centre just up the road.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    globalti
    Free Member

A trip up Cairngorm on the funicular?

Oh, wait….

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t go in midge season. The little ones can’t take precautions and aren’t aware of the problem so they end up crawling with the buggers!

scotroutes

Landmark is good. A playpark but outdoorsy.

Steam train.

Feed the reindeer.

Big soft play area at Coylumbridge.

Beach.

Walks.

Canoe hire at Loch Morlich or Loch Insh.

Wildlife Park

Newtonmore museum.

Tube slide at Cairngorm.

Short drive to Moray Firth for extensive seaside beaches/seals

Slightly longer drive to dolphin spotting on the Black Isle.

I could go on…

tjagain

Molgrips – smidge is safe for children over 2

scotroutes

Nobody in the Scottish Highlands has small children. They are all sent away down south for 6 years immediately after birth until they are old enough to withstand the onslaught of tiny insects.

moonsaballoon

We had a brilliant week staying in Carrbridge in a chalet type thing in a hotel garden right next to the landmark adventure park, our then 4 year old loved it. Landmark is excellent, zoo was great and we did a fair bit of riding with the boy on the tag along, the woods being Carrbridge have excellent easy going paths and are pretty flat so perfect for families.

Full disclosure we had brilliant weather which obviously helps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for toddler-friendly first Highlands trip’ is closed to new replies.