Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ideas for family summer holidays
  • Cletus

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for a family holiday in August. two 40’ish adults, 15 year old boy and 5 year old girl.

Main requirement is reasonable weather so probably abroad. Some culture and activities would be nice. Girl loves the beach so that is a must. Mrs wants a break from cooking.

Suggestions please.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Greek islands, Turkey (Bodrum or Gumbet can do day trips to Kos), Croatia supposed to be great for kids mix of beach, mountains and culture. Malta or Gozo (Gozo may be a bit remote).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Crete – has history (decent museum), walking (Samari Gorge) and the beaches.

Muke
    Free Member

Lagos Portugal

Suggsey
    Free Member

Morroco-Agadir as Tangier is a bit too full on for young kids and too many odd looks if your kids are blonde. Great trips into the Atlas mountains and the Sahara as well as nice beaches and a bit more unusual compared to standard Europe destinations (I know its Africa).
    Crete I found a bit disappointing in terms of sight seeing and is very very hot in August.
    I also like Gibralter lots too see, you can take trip over into Spain but also a day trip to Tangiers which would also give you a look at Morrocco without being there all week.

mogrim

Costa Brava near Girona is nice, there’s a fair amount that’s not the usual beer-swilling tourist trap… Hire a car and you can see the Dali stuff (which I personally don’t like, and definitely falls into the tourist trap end of things, albeit beer-less), Girona’s nice, there’s a fair amount of medieval villages, secluded beaches etc…

Cletus

Thanks all,

I like the idea of Greece but am a bit worried about possible financial meltdown – is this over cautious?

mogrim

I like the idea of Greece but am a bit worried about possible financial meltdown – is this over cautious?

I’d guess if you steered clear of Athens (which you should do anyway, awful place), fly with a non-Greek carrier and stuck to the islands you should be alright.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Friend just got back from Santorini and it was all fine.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you were worked about a meltdown, just be sure to take some hard cash (Dollars probably would be best) and you’d be fine.

tinribz
    Free Member

Venice?

Beach – check
    Culture – check
    Italian restaurants – check.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Obscenely expensive. Check.

Tiger6791

Blackpool?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for family summer holidays’ is closed to new replies.