Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ideas for bike/back packing in the North
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    Just after some ideas and you lot are always good for that!

The missus and I fancy doing a weekend of bike or back (walk) packing without the kids one weekend this summer, and I’m looking for ideas we might want to try

It’ll be a 2 dayer, and although we’re both fit (so have no problem covering a reasonable distance) we don’t want a total beasting. A nice stop in the middle / evening somewhere at a pub and a few drinks would be smashing.

By the way we would either stay in a pub / B&B or wild camp (if wild camping, would do so after pub probably to save on gear)

We would probably want a linear route where we could dump the car and then use public transport to get back, or a circular route.

Due to proximity to grandparents for babysitting (in Malton), North Yorks moors would be good, or possibly the Dales could be a good also.

Anyway here’s what I’ve thought of so far:

Walks
    Lyke wake walk
    Walk the length of the NYM railway (and maybe back)
    Some of the clevelad way / coast route

Bikes
    Some kind of Tour of the NYM

(PS Mrs is not that confident on technical terrain. Quiet roads and fire road/landrover tracks are fine though)

Any other ideas you have to share?

Ta!

scotroutes

Ah, you mean the South?

Sorry, can’t help.

el_boufador

of England

🙂

wadam00
    Free Member

There is a off road route from Berwick to Hexham – I cannot remember the name. Think it’s 130km and is well marked with a few places you can stop at

Or do a tour of the dales with a loop from skipton to hawes and back?

ton

train to appleby in westmorland, ride the pennine b/w back. nice bivi near a boozer in the dales.

thenorthwind

There is a off road route from Berwick to Hexham – I cannot remember the name. Think it’s 130km and is well marked with a few places you can stop at

The Sandstone Way.

Probably fits all the OP’s criteria apart from proximity to family. Non-technical but reasonable distance, do-able in 2 days with a nice stop in Rothbury (Tomlinson’s) and good train links.

whitestone
    Free Member

If it needs to be within reasonable distance of Malton then either drive to Hawes and do the 2016 YD200 route (that’s Km not miles) which will give you an overnight somewhere near Austwick which has a good pub. The alternative is to drive to Thirsk and get the train to Berwick and do The Sandstone Way. As Northwind says it’s doable in 2 days and isn’t technical. Get train back from Hexham via Newcastle.

slowol

Could use the moor to seas cycle routes as a starter. Plenty of bivi spots as well as B&Bs.

Map and info on the NYM website as below

http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/visiting/enjoy-outdoors/cycling/moor-to-sea-cycle-network

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for bike/back packing in the North’ is closed to new replies.