Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ideal Phone Screen for reading books
  • Ioneonic

I’m interested in what mobile phone screen features/quality would be best for reading text…usually books on library app or kindle app, but some long format articles as well. Not PDFs.
    I’d imagine the ideal would have better contrast and clearer text (I wear glasses) which might not equal higher definition/pixel density etc. Less glare and deeper blacks may be preferable? I’m guessing though….
    I like the e ink on my Kindle..way easier than reading on my mobile or (Nexus 10) tablet, but I often don’t carry it with me.

(Other than phone/message/photos/podcasts I mainly use the phone for reading the above.
    Currently have Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact which is fine otherwise but I’m thinking could do with a bigger screen with easier text (which might not mean bigger text). I’d prefer Android Stock or One and been looking at usual suspects plus Xiaomi etc.)

Cougar

I really don’t mean to be obtuse, but surely the solution here is to start carrying your Kindle with you? You may be able to improve on the phone you have currently but you’re unlikely to find any phone that’s going to come close to e-ink (and Kindle battery life) for prolonged reading periods.

Ioneonic

Not obtuse at all… Yes that is the correct answer Cougar. Sadly I often forget the Kindle, but also my local library cloud reader doesn’t work with Kindles, so I need a phone or tablet for that in any case (which I should have stated above, come to think of it)…

Cougar

Fair point.

My solution to this has been to swallow what little sartorial pride I had in the first place and carry a “man-bag” (or to give it its correct name, a “bag”). Mates took the piss at first but they soon stopped when they needed a small screwdriver to repair their spectacles, or to borrow a pen, or (surprisingly often) a tape measure.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Edit

have a look at e-ink smartphones, seems to be a new thing in 2019. I can well see the attraction for a dual screen device

Nick

I manage just fine reading stuff on my iPhone 8, I use the Readly app for magazines and yeah you do need to zoom in a bit but I can read a Wired article or something from MBR on a plane no problem. Not tried the kindle app but suspect that will resize for you once you set the text size?

Cougar

have a look at e-ink smartphones, seems to be a new thing in 2019. I can well see the attraction for a dual screen device

The world’s most annoying interviewer but, that’s interesting tech and very interesting price. Cheers for that.

funkmasterp

I find the Kindle app on iPhone okay as long as I change the background colour to green or have white text on black background. No idea why, but my eyes don’t get as strained.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

that’s interesting tech and very interesting price

Agreed, but…reflective e-ink screen? That just seems utterly counter-productive?

I used my orange-lensed sports shades to cut out the blue light on iphone, now use nightshift in settings

Ioneonic

Thanks
    Dual screen with e-ink looks interesting.
    I’ll try changing colour/brightness on the reading apps.. I’ve been turning up the brightness which I now suspect is counter productive for longer reading sessions.
    My research doesn’t suggest a definite winner for screen type (ips/amoled etc) but that higher pixel density should help when I move to a bigger phone screen.

CountZero

I’ve been reading books on my iphones for years, using the native Books app, along with Kindle and eBookMobi; most of the books I have are in the books app, but I have quite a few in the others, mostly due to DRM. I guess in total I’ve got around 700 ebooks.
    I’ve never had an issue reading on a phone screen, it’s just black text on a white background, except when the light dims, in which case it’s white on black.
    Same with my pad, it’s just a bigger book-sized page is all. The advantage of the phone is it’s always with me, and it’s a handy pocket size; the bigger screen size of my 11 Pro Max does make reading so much easier than the screen of my iP4S, though… 😁

easily
    Free Member

or (surprisingly often) a tape measure.

I’m not going to ask.

I long ago decided to take an iPad with me pretty much everywhere. It’s a pain to carry it round, but it pays off when I need something to read/watch/play/listen/work on. I often have gaps in my day that would otherwise be empty.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ideal Phone Screen for reading books’ is closed to new replies.