Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I’d like a suspension dropper post – anyone else?
  • Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

Clearly this is too niche an idea to catch on because gnarly hardtails are illogical and not terribly popular things. But it would be nice if I could switch on an inch or two of seatpost suspension when I’m taking my hardtail on an XC ride, but still be able to drop it almost 200mm when riding down the fun stuff. Surely it just needs a slightly open position to act as a damper rather than a lock on the hydraulic system?

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

Is it that easy?  You want some movement that doesn’t have a harsh bottom out, you want it to be switch on and offable and you want it in a 200mm dropper.  I bet you want it to weigh less than a kilo too don’t you.  Nearest I can offer you is an old Reverb but that bounce is on all the time

Premier Icon hols2
    Free Member

Yep, just get an old Reverb and lift it up by the saddle a few times. I’ll give you some suspension.

Premier Icon tom7044

Apparently the Pnw coast dropper post is the first in the world
    40mm suspension travel
    Only 120mm drop though
    I saw these launched last year but then couldn’t find anyone selling in the UK so just got a normal post. Reviews on their own site seem pretty positive though.

COAST SUSPENSION DROPPER POST

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

No, it’s not easy is it? You’d need the suspension spring to be a lot firmer than the dropper spring so it barely sags under your weight (otherwise the saddle height would go all wrong). Damn!

Premier Icon twonks

Do-able but will not be easy with the hydraulic side of a dropper as it isn’t compressible, so would be just damped at a given rate through an orifice. It could be engineered to give varying damping but within the constraints of a seat post – never mind weight and cost – is another thing.

Possibly better to use the dropper section as is and incorporate the suspension element on top. Maybe a small adjustable air chamber or elastomer.

I’ve got an old USE suspension seatpost somewhere, could sell you that for experiment purposes.. ;o) .

Free Member

“Plus

Any suspension seatpost.

Easy.”

That will be just as good at getting my saddle out of the way as my BikeYoke Revive 185! 😉

Maybe the best place for this is as part of the saddle? Leaf springs, friction damping and a toggle for your hand to activate it?

Premier Icon ta11pau1

Nah but I think it’s the closest you’ll get! 😁

I don’t fully understand how dropper posts work but the action is completely opposite to what you want a suspension post to do, which is probably why there are none.

You could have a separate suspension “head” but the stack height would be huge.

I reckon you’d get about the same effect with a 2.8″ rear tyre and 15-20psi in it.

Premier Icon lister

A short dropper with a thudbuster top would work. I’d buy one as I like hard tails but they ruin my back off-road and i love a dropper.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like what you actually need is the right full suss. There are plenty with hard tail like character.

Free Member

“Sounds like what you actually need is the right full suss. There are plenty with hard tail like character.“

No, I have a full-sus too and I like how that rides. And I like how the hardtail rides when thrashing it around the woods, the lack of rear suspension makes it more fun in many ways.

I was just pondering how hardtails like this aren’t so great on long XC rides in the summer because they involve so much seated pedalling across bumpy hard ground. I’m sure something with bigger wheels, a skinny conventional seat post and a more compliant steel or ti frame would be comfier but less amusing for the downhill stuff.

I definitely ride this in a different wy to my full-sus downhill – they’re both long and slack out front with big forks (160mm Lyrik 29 vs 150mm Pike 27.5) but 150mm vs zero rear travel and 35mm difference in chainstay length changes the timing and balance a lot.

Free Member

“I don’t fully understand how dropper posts work but the action is completely opposite to what you want a suspension post to do, which is probably why there are none.”

The action is very similar, they’re basically the air spring side of a suspension fork with a hydraulic lockout. When my Revive needs bleeding (10 seconds with an allen key) it acts like suspension but it’s too soft at the pressure where you can drop it with your weight, so that’s the sticking point.

“You could have a separate suspension “head” but the stack height would be huge.”

That’s another commercial problem for sure!

“I reckon you’d get about the same effect with a 2.8″ rear tyre and 15-20psi in it.”

Unfortunately I don’t like how bigger rear tyres behave in corners, I prefer slightly higher pressure and only about 2.3” width (plus an insert).

Premier Icon dannyh

No, I’m not interested, but…

Yep, just get an old Reverb and lift it up by the saddle a few times. I’ll give you some suspension.

Premier Icon Daffy

Surely this is just a Talas RLC fork for your bum. Adjustable travel, suspension and lockout.

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

I don’t really get the point of this. I only ride hardtails and if it’s rough i’m standing up, with the seat dropped – there’s zero point having suspension through the seat.

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

It already exists

The Kind Shock KS KSP-860I exa 860i / 861 dropper post has a suspension function

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000013765444.html

Free Member

This too:

COAST SUSPENSION DROPPER POST

“I don’t really get the point of this. I only ride hardtails and if it’s rough i’m standing up, with the seat dropped – there’s zero point having suspension through the seat.”

Proper rough, absolutely. Long XC rides across sun-baked bridleways that are popular with horses, annoyingly bumpy but standing up for that long isn’t really viable.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

My in-need-of-a-service Reverb is genuinely quite squidgy. I hate it on a full sus but I can see how it would work on a hardtail.

In the current state it sits low in its ‘travel’ which is not what you want. You’d need a way of pressurising they air that’s leaked into the oil. Ironically with the new ones (which are designed specifically to fix the bounce issue) you could potentially stick a valve on the bleed port to attach a shock pump.

Premier Icon docgeoffyjones

what you want is a URT. With a dropper

Premier Icon sirromj
    Free Member

Give the E13 TRS+ 170mm dropper a try. They have a fair bit of flexy twang. Didn’t realize quite how much until I went back to a regular seatpost.

Proper rough, absolutely. Long XC rides across sun-baked bridleways that are popular with horses, annoyingly bumpy but standing up for that long isn’t really viable.

Good job Geex isn’t still here to see you say that.

Premier Icon ajantom

Someone heard you…
    PNW Suspension Dropper Post

Premier Icon zippykona

Maybe it could filter down to beginner bikes.

Lots of lady leisure cyclists that I talk to will only ever have their saddle at a height that they can put both feet flat on the floor when they stop.

I try to explain how much easier it will be to pedal with the saddle higher but with no joy.

Add in the extra comfort and you have a winner.

Premier Icon hols2
    Free Member

Lots of lady leisure cyclists that I talk to will only ever have their saddle at a height that they can put both feet flat on the floor when they stop.

https://bikeportland.org/2018/11/27/saddle-height-hints-ballast-before-babes-and-other-tips-for-settling-into-family-biking-292412

Premier Icon avdave2
    Free Member

My Hite Rite worked as a suspension seat post, I wasn’t heavy enough to actually compress it fully just sitting on it. Wish I’d kept it. And 30+ years on and I’m still no heavier 😊

Premier Icon bootsy
    Free Member

I’ve had the PNW Coast on my hardtail since November last year. It only has a 120mm drop which is fine on my 19″ frame but if I had a shorter seat tube you would want a longer drop.

At the recommended pressures it feels way too hard and you really have to bump down on the saddle to get it to move at all. I experimented with different pressures and settle on significantly less pressure but not too little that it collapsed. In essence it has a pedal platform which you have to overcome to activate it. Things to note, it seems to activate much easier when on the nose of the saddle which is not so great when climbing. The travel is undamped so can feel a little agricultural. If you use the dropper but don’t return it to full extension then it remains totally active whilst seated pedalling. Not sure if this is a by product of the lower pressure setting.

I love the idea of this post and it seems to be of good quality but if it is working it does so either very subtly or very obviously cos you have hit something hard whilst seated. If you see the sort of thing coming that would activate the post then the chances are you’ll ruddy well stand up anyway!

Overall I do think there is merit in this idea but I feel it needs to be a bit more sensitive to activation. Maybe the remote could have a pedal platform setting and a fully active setting?

Hope this helps!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.