Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • iCloud on PC
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve been sent a subscription to an iCloud album.

I don’t own any fruit based devices, and I can’t figure out a way to view the album on my PC.

Apart from beating to death the individual who sent me the link with the bloodied stumps of his freshly torn out arms, is there anything I can do that might allow me to view the photos?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Install iCloud for windows. I think I’d ask them to put the photos somewhere accessible from a browser.

dan1980
    Free Member

When I installed icloud for windows I tried to sign in my apple id, which I had to create by giving them every single piece of information about myself – (name, address, blood group, scrotum circumference etc.)

The software said that my apple id wasn’t an icloud ID, and spat me back to the desktop. It appears that it is impossible to create an icloud ID without either a fruit based device, or providing a blood sample from his holyness Saint Jobs.

I have never gotten so infuriated by a piece of software and an account sign up procedure in my short 34 years on this planet.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use iCloud.com on non Apple devices without any problem although I had an existing iCloud account. From memory you don’t have to provide that much info. Normally you sign into iCloud with your AppleID which you also use for iTunes if you wish

Rubber_Buccaneer

Hence me saying I’d ask them to host the photos elsewhere. You should be able to get icloud working ok but you will have a happier life if you can avoid it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Rubber but if the people uploading the photos are on Apple devices it’s much easier for them to use the iCloud

dan1980
    Free Member

Not quite sure I understand the mentality of “After insisting that I’ll take all the photos on my shiny apple idevice version 27, I’d love to share them with you. Oh by the way, I’m going to make it as hard as possible for you to view them! Don’t worry though, it was dead easy for me to upload and send the share invites out! Aren’t I great for having a shiny apply idevice version 27!”

I should perhaps point out my apparently irrational anger (was fuelled by alcohol last night and) is due to this being a work thing, and not an ego massaging “I want to see photos of me looking rad to the power sik!” thing.

m360
    Free Member

hey just need to share it differently

Don’t all services work this way? You either need to share them publicly, or “invite friends”. If you invite people they need to sign-in, but then they can add their own photos and comments etc.

The hate some people have for Apple is stupid, I don’t get this upset when my friend sends me a OneDrive link or Dropbox link, and I have to sign in to view them.

Get over it, 5 years ago you’d have been sat waiting for 50 emails to download individual files no larger than 10MB.

dan1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the link, I’ve passed it on.

I don’t hate Apple, per sey, more ridiculousness of their closed system.

I would have no problem (apart from all the bleedin’ information they want) registering to view these files. I’ve registered with Dropbox, OneDrive, and have a GoogleDrive which I thought covered most eventualities.

However, without an “idevice” of some sort, I’m buggered if I can see a way of enabling iCloud for the AppleID I’ve just created. I’d love to hear how/why you’d think this could be anything other than a crappy idea?!

jambalaya
    Free Member

However, without an “idevice” of some sort, I’m buggered if I can see a way of enabling iCloud for the AppleID I’ve just created. I’d love to hear how/why you’d think this could be anything other than a crappy idea?!

You could well be right that iCloud is only visible if you have at least one Apple device, not sure. In that case you could find a friend with an iPhone and log him out (keeping all content) and then log yourself in, get it working and then log him back in again.

I used to use DropBox and Google Drive but hardly use them at all now, things change.

EDIT: Dan, just did some searching on Apple Support Forums and certainly back a year ago you could not create an iCloud account without at least one Apple device. You need to borrow someones phone/tablet/computer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘iCloud on PC’ is closed to new replies.