Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Icetech Rotors or Hope Floating Rotors for XT Brakes?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any general concensus? will the icetech actually work amazingly better than my hope floating rotors? (both same size @ 180mm), or shall i just stick with the hopes i have (which are only a month old)

clubber
    Free Member

Do your Hopes overheat? If not then it’s just a question of which ones you think look nicer.

mintimperial

I used my old Hope floating rotors on my XTs when I first got them (183/160 I think), you can just about get away with it but you need to be really careful setting them up because the rivets can foul on the callipers. The front one was worse for this. Over time they shifted slightly and started catching again, so in the end I gave up and got some Icetech ones, they’re grand.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mint- should have put in the first post, they fit fine, shop have fitted them for me and no fouling when lined up so no problems with fit, the mechanic has just suggested he thinks they do work better with ice tech rotors, id not even heard of them TBH so was more wondering if they are actually going to perform any better than my hope floaters?

if its just a case of the looks then i prefer the hopes 🙂

mint as youve used both then that would be great to hear if theres any improvement in using the ice techs??

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

any improvement in using the ice techs??

see:

Do your Hopes overheat?

GEDA
    Free Member

mmm.. Melty ice tech yummy

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ice-tec-rotors

So it looks like they are fine at getting rid of excess heat. And they do this by melting.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger, nope i dont think my hope floaters over heat, ive never had them fail on me with my formula brakes anyways, im guessing i would no if so…..so in that case ill stick with the hopes

and also seeing that pic too, holy cow! im guessing thats after a alps trip or something? cannot imagine them getting that hot in the uk, we dont have descents that long that could possibly cause that?!?!

_daveR
    Free Member

Try uberbike discs. They are supposed not to cause any fouling issues.

shortcut

Hope – they wear out less quickly I have holes in the steel on some icetechs after 2500 miles of xc use.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im gonna stick with hopes plus my front one is only 1 month old and luckily the shop have a 180mm rear hope floater so ive just had that too, so will be new rotors with the new brakes, so should be pretty good braking wise again now!

hopes look much nicer too!

pussywillow
    Free Member

and also seeing that pic too, holy cow! im guessing thats after a alps trip or something? cannot imagine them getting that hot in the uk, we dont have descents that long that could possibly cause that?!?!

No, it’ll be because either a, riding a tandem with heavy luggage down a long alpine descent in which case even a normal fully steel rotor would have distorted or b, they are basically shit riders mincing down an alpine descent with the brakes on full jam all the way down or c, they work for hope and love slagging better made stuff off 😆
    Tbh I know loads of riders who have ice tech brakes and not had any issues. Hope rotors are prone to bending quite easily I have found out over the years… Just be cautious.

mintimperial

any improvement in using the ice techs

Only just spotted this, sorry. No, the Hopes seemed fine apart from the rubbing issue, but then I didn’t have them on the bike that long. Also I’d not take my opinion on performance too seriously, as I’m basically shit and do a lot of mincing with my brakes on full jam. 😉

legend
    Free Member

Crazy thought: just use normal discs that have been fine for years and don’t melt or come apart at the rivets?

duir
    Free Member

I trashed an Ice Tech 180mm rear disk in in 2 days in Torridon. Long descents but not hot temperatures and I like to think I wasn’t braking excessively. After 2 days the disc was warped beyond recognition and partially melted. Changed it for the normal non Ice Tech one and had no bother ever since even on 3-4000′ descents.

sharkattack

I melted my Ice-techs, it’s been discussed on here.

5 days in Morzine and Les Gets was enough to kill mine. They looked just like that picture up there. Madison did act surprised and say they hadn’t heard of any similar problems.

Now gone from the most expensive rotors I’ve ever had to the cheapest (superstars) and having no problems.

jameso

Standard round 1pc rotors without daft rivets n rattles or multi-layer stuff for me every time. It’s just a braking surface.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Icetech Rotors or Hope Floating Rotors for XT Brakes?’ is closed to new replies.