Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Ibis vs Santa Cruz
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Orangejohn – Member

However the Ibis warranty is 3 years and the SC is 5 years.

To be honest from my experience and what I’ve read of others, Ibis will always see you right and look after you. Someone on MTBR got a MK1 Mojo HD second hand, well over 3 years old – cracked swingarm… Ibis sent out a new one FOC.

Wozza
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – Member
    wozza

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

Seen it, I’m not convinced. It shows carbon being more flexible but what it doesn’t show is how a small chip can cause a critical failure. That’s what i’m talking about with rock strikes etc, a tiny surface or subsurface weak point causes a colossal, instant structural failure where as more of the alloy structure stays together under the same conditions.

vinnyeh

Orangejohn – Member
    However the Ibis warranty is 3 years and the SC is 5 years.

Ibis support up there with Turner IMO, check out the mtbr forums.
    When I was looking at a secondhand frame, a quick query to ibis had a reply that they’d be prepared to support me as best they could if I had any issues. My wife bought me a new frame in the end, but the lad I eventually sold it to had both the front and rear triangles replaced under warranty, on separate occasions.

Aren’t Santa Cruz another of the manufacturers that won’t sell major frame parts to anyone other than the original owner?

Northwind

Wozza – Member

That’s what i’m talking about with rock strikes etc, a tiny surface or subsurface weak point causes a colossal, instant structural failure

It doesn’t though, the surface is cosmetic- has the same structural impact as chipping paint. And a blow strong enough to weaken the internal structure would most likely destroy an alu frame too.

What year is it, that we’re still talking about whether carbon is suitable for bikes? There are tons of carbon bikes out there and how many of them are exploding?

julians
    Free Member

Ibis warranty is bullet proof, even if they officially say its ‘only’ 3 years, you’ll still get significant support years after, I consider it a lifetime warranty.

Ibis’s support generally is excellent, if you email them you’ll often get the answer back from Scot nichol or Hans (the two owners of Ibis), its is only a small firm. They’re always posting on the MTBR Ibis forums.

richmtb

I have heard Ibis’ warranty is excellent.

But then I never had anything but good service from Jungle when sorting out parts and spares for my S/H Blur LT. They were always very helpful

Wozza
    Free Member

I’m not saying they all explode straight out of the box, what I am saying is that if you do chip it, it’s not a case of if it’ll fail there, it’s a case of when will it fail there. De-lamination isn’t the same as a paint chip.

Also, you can see in the video that all the alloy frames deform before they (if at all) shear. The carbon ones, they appear to snap before they show any signs of damage.

Everything breaks, but i’d like to be able to spot signs that it’s going to go before it does.

Northwind

Wozza – Member

what I am saying is that if you do chip it, it’s not a case of if it’ll fail there, it’s a case of when will it fail there.

Not true, but apart from that…

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Ibis vs Santa Cruz’ is closed to new replies.