Ibis Ripmo experiences.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ibis Ripmo experiences.
  • Brake-neck

Hi all, was wondering if anyone has an Ibis Ripmo they could relay some riding thoughts on?

Premier Icon philstone
    Subscriber

Yep.. I’ve got a large with (’18 – important) X2 and Fox 36 fork.

Had an Evil Insurgent before. Insurgent was an absolute machine on the downs, so smooth and soaked up everything, climbing less good. Also had an HD3 previously as well.

RipMo is very very capable, doesn’t feel as fast as the Insurgent down, but Strava says oversize. It has much more pop, whereas the Insurgent was just ground hugging smooth.

It climbs as well as any bike I’ve ever owned.

Shock year is important – to get the X2 to feel like it should (ie plush) I had to ignore Fox’s rules.. The 18 is limited to 2 spacers with a space limited fitted. Could not get it to feel good at all. After watching an interview with Chris Porter, he mentions removing the limiter and adding more spacers if you’re not near the max PSI limit. So I did, went from 2 spacers to 4 and now it feels great.

If you have any specific questions – ask away.

Brake-neck

What kind of terrain makes up your riding mate, also, thanks for the tip for the shock! Do you find the mud clearance ok, have noticed a few threads mentioning that it has a rock crusher between the linkage and the frame.

Premier Icon philstone
    Subscriber

Lots of tech single track, live on Jersey so no mega hills here. Mixture of small rock gardens, flowy single track, some loamy woods.

If you go for the X2 I’d be surprised if you don’t get a ’19, which has much better capabilities.

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

I’ve had one since May last year. Ridden it about 1200km most in the FoD and Malverns and a few trail centres. Also took it to Sospel (where the TP is run) which is pretty rocky and steep. Mine was a frame-only build, with the DPX2 (so cheaper) shock. I was advised against the DPX2 for the reason Philstone makes..

I’ve had lots of bikes. Before this I had a Mojo3 which I absolutely loved. But the RipMo is just a bit better. It climbs brilliantly. Really scoots along, it’s a hoot on most trails and – unlike some similar type bikes – doesn’t need to be doing a million MPH before it gets to be fun.

Again like Philstone, it never feels that fast downhill but I’ve beaten 90% of my times (some of them long standing records) and there’s still lots to come.

In terms of the linkage, it’s way better than the Mojo3, but its still not that great. I armour taped it before I rode it and stuffed a small mudguard (old front) to protect that area and the top bearings. It doesn’t go out when it’s really muddy!

FlickR appears to be dead tonight, but if it comes back I’ll post a photo. Definitely not looking to change it for anything. I’ve ridden stuff on the RipMo I’ve bottled for years, and in Sospel it was amazing (even if I wasn’t!)

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

First day it was built

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26cp9BP]Ibis RipMo. About to get very dirty on its first ride ![/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

7 months in

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2b91F1J]Not feeling like Winter![/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Changed the tyres, stuck some Rimpact’s in there and er, that’s it! Maybe could do with some wider wheels but otherwise it’s perfect.

Brake-neck

Did either of you have any issues running the rear brake hose through the frame, looks setup for US in the pictures I’ve seen.
    Lovely bike Alex :), whats the mudguard you have on the back?

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

No problem at al. Route it down the same side.

Mudguard is a mucky-nutz with a bit of a mod. It’s lasted a few months and definitely keeps some of the grit out of the bearings and linkages.

Here’s a pic of it in Sospel. I so want to go back and ride those trails!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2adJmUN]Sospel MTB – 2018[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Premier Icon philstone
    Subscriber

Nope, none at all. Only thing I had an issue with is that the internal hosing wasn’t big enough for my Cura brakes. Think I had a one-off though as others haven’t had any issues. Oh and you Di2 connectors won’t fit either – had that one confirmed by Ibis 🙁

Brake-neck

Thanks for all the info guys, bike got nicked last week so just scouting out a replacement.

Premier Icon daveloslynch
    Subscriber

Got one last summer. XT build with X2. Mostly been on single track in Scotland although had a few days in Finale too. Climbs incredibly well for a long travel bike. Great on descents too. Blew out my mate on his favourite steep Strava segment and it was the first time I’d ridden it.

My Ripmo ....

Premier Icon daveloslynch
    Subscriber

[url=https://flic.kr/p/247W8hB]Untitled[/url] by dave lynch, on Flickr

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

I got to be honest I am blown away with how well my HD4 climbs and descends. Can’t imagine the Ripmo is anything other than superb.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.