• This topic has 30 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Ibis Ripley V4 – how’s it ride?
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Anyone riding one of these in the UK. How are you finding it?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

There’s a review on Pinkbike if you haven’t seen that.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s an interesting question though. Also, where is the line between the Ripley v4 and the Ripmo?

tdog
    Free Member

Another gimmick to sell more.

I got rid of my Ibis due to creaking / cracking noises and sketchy sizing issue.

Carbon is definitely not all that!

Alloy anyday however have my eyes wide open and mouth gushing for a steel fully.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of HD3s that I’m very happy with. No creaking or cracking.

tdog
    Free Member

Lucky!

I really rate the DW platform though!

Infinitely better than VirtualPooPants

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did notice that the new Ripley makes more use of journal bearings – similar to Turners of old.

I got the impression that Turner stopped using them after issues controlling tolerances of the Czar when manufactured over seas.

That either means that Ibis are about to get creaky, or they’re happy that they’re really on top of manufacturing.

twonks

I’ve had a mojo sl/r frame (bought s/hand from here) and had a new ripmo build for a month or so. Both very quiet with no rattles at all.

The ripmo does ride different to any other bike I’ve had. Not much but it f initially feels cramped when sat down. Soon get used to it and when stood with seat dropped it is ridiculously stable.

I’d imagine the Ripley to be similar but a bit more ‘normal’ when seated as I believe the ett is a bit longer.

I’m 5’11” on a large frame although have short legs and a long torso.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s my only reservation with really steep seat tube angles. It can make the normal seated/pedalling position feel cramped even with respectable reach numbers.

twonks

It’s a bit strange but maybe just takes time getting used to it. At first I instictively inched forward to the nose of the saddle when going up and around tight switchbacks. This had me cursing and banging my knee on the shifter when I nearly came to a stall over a rock.

A rethink and another go without sliding forwards had me clear the trail much easier with all the space and no front wheel lift.

Wether or not this is a good thing as it leaves you in the position all the time when seated – I don’t know.

All in all I’m glad I bought the bike and it has inspired me to ride more, so a win for me.

Please bear in mind though, that I’m old, fat and stupid.. lol.

tdog
    Free Member

For sure the Ripmo looks a right blast!

I reckon I could get away with 130mm trail bike instead though.

Young fat clever lad here.

😉

lawman91

Waiting for my local dealer to get their demo bikes, then I’ll be having a go! I briefly tried a Ripmo a few months back and liked it, but waaaaay too much bike for me. The Ripley looks perfect, it’s even the same colour as my beloved old HD140. Subject to a test, I’m fairly sure it’ll be my next bike, it just ticks all the boxes for me on paper.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Wow. Lots of chat but cant see anyone has actually ridden one

lawman91

Given the only bikes to have landed in the UK have gone straight to demo fleet use or the mags to my knowledge and their won’t be many who have. I think a UK-based poster on MTBR has one, the Ibis forum is quite well populated there.

transition1
    Free Member

Think there are a load due in end of the month. Am tempted as a replacement to the Smuggler would go XL though as Smuggler is XL. Would be running it with 140mm forks as that’s what’s on the Smuggler currently. Keep wondering if could run the Ripley with an old 190X50mm shock the metric is 190X45! Not a fox fan.

lawman91

Not enough clearance for a 190x50mm shock, the link hits the seat tube. Think I’d go down the 130mm fork route  personally, air shafts are so easy to change if you already have a 140mm fork.

transition1
    Free Member

It’s an Ohlins RXF 34 so 120, 140 or 160 love it more than a Pike or Fox 34

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone getting miles in on one of these yet?

lawman91

Bringing this back up in case took the plunge?

transition1
    Free Member

I bought a frame only & swapped all the parts over from my Smuggler. Not ridden it much as off the bike again, but it’s a lighter & faster pedalling bike than the Smuggler.

Alex

I have one. And a RipMo.  I really liked the look of the Ripley for riding my local trails (FoD etc) but couldn’t decide if it was different enough from the RipMo. Then one came up with a big discount so I bought it.

Ibis Ripley - mostly finished

I built it up reasonably light. Went with SLX 1×12 rather than XT 1×11 (same price), got a great deal on some DVO Sapphire forks (spoke to DVO guy had a set on his own Ripley and get me all the settings) and added some light Newmen 35mm wheels after I sold my Orbea.

I’ve only ridden it round both trails at CwmCarn, Brechfa Red and Black and two long, muddy rides in the FoD so it’s a bit early to give a proper opinion.

It’s not a mini RipMo tho. I decided to go with 130mm fork (lots of people run them 140mm) and it feels more agile than my RipMo. It climbs brilliantly like the RipMo but it’s a bit lighter. I’m not a fan of that Fox shock. I had one on my Mojo3 and I didn’t like it much either. So I’ll probably get a DVO Topaz for it at some point.

I really need to ride it some more on drier trails. I did get a couple of PRs on the first rides but I don’t feel fully dialled in with it yet. I was running older wheels and 2.3 tyres. Now I’ve a 2.6 on the front and a 2.4 on the back so really looking forward to getting some miles under the new wheels.

So not much to add other than it’s clearly going to be another great bike. I really like the way Ibis bikes ride, so I’m predisposed to like it. Come July be interesting if I’m taking this or the RipMo out most weekends.

lawman91

Good first impressions Alex! What size did you go for and how tall are you? I’m just over 6ft and contemplating getting a demo on one but right on the cusp between L and XL

Alex

@lawnman91. I went for a Large. Same as my RipMo. I’m 5ft11 in old money but with a long body/short-ish legs. I could easily run a 210mm dropper on the large (and I have that on my RipMo. That’s a 170 in the pic).

Sizing is a bit strange with the steep seat angle. It doesn’t feel as long as you expect. Until you stand up, then it feels quite a bit longer! I noticed it more on the Ripley which is odd because it’s actually ‘longer’ seated apparently.

It’s not a problem tho. Helps keep you over the BB and that has to help with climbing. With that long post, I wouldn’t want a slack seat angle.

Apparently a lot of people your/my size want to get the XL but most shops tell them to get the L. I reckon a demo would see you right. You’re welcome to come and try mine if that’s easier.

I just spoke to our local suspension tuner (Sprung) and Jake is going to sort me a new DVO Topez with a spacer to fit. I really rate that shock and hope it’ll improve the back end. I dunno if it’s just me with Fox EVOLs but both of the ones I’ve had feel wooden and over-damped.

And I’m a tart and want DVO both ends!

Alex

Oh and to answer the (old) question ^^^ there re: ripley and ripmo. I’ve definitely created some space between them,

RipMo is 160/150 with Lyrics, 203 rotors, 4 pots, 2.6 Magic Mary and Hans Damf in beefy compounds. Weights just over 30lbs I think. Ripley is 130/120, 180mm rotors, lighter tyres, smaller cassette, etc. Weighs about 28lbs.

When it finally dries up my plan is to ride them back to back on trails I know well just to convince myself they are quite different 😉

jp4urio
    Free Member

How did things go with Ripley vs Ripmo Alex? I’ve nailed it down to these two but wonder how they compare.

Would be interested to know which is more fun in places like FoD, and how either hold up after winter rides? I’ve heard the seat for the link on the top of the rear triangle can get damaged picking up grit etc

chiefgrooveguru

“ How did things go with Ripley vs Ripmo Alex?”

Here’s your answer!

New Bike Day

Alex

There’s more : https://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=4830 – note a couple of sweary words in there.

The TLDR version is I never loved it as much as I expected to. It should have been the perfect bike (esp as I had the RipMo as well) for a lot of what we ride locally. But I never gelled with it. When I bought the Mojo4, I knew in a couple of rides I was far happier on it. Which makes no sense other than my Mojo3 was my fav.bike.ever. Followed by the RipMo.

I was going to keep it tho because I’m terrible for changing my mind. But a fella I sold a bike to over 10 years ago was following my angst on an Ibis FB page, and got in touch to see if I’d sell it. He’s been riding it this week and absolutely loves it.

Alex

In terms of which one is better for winter, the answer is neither 😉 My (v1) Ripmo is running 2.6 tyres on 35mm internal rims and there’s not much clearance out back. I did a muddy ride on it a few weeks ago and the mud was everywhere you don’t want it – pivots/bearings etc right in the line of fire.

And as per all Ibis/DW links, you can get a stone (or even abrasive mud) in between the linkage and the seat tube and that’ll wear super fast. I have some double taped armour on the seat tube and that gets hammered every time we go somewhere rocky. Having said that RipMo is 3 years old and that armour has protected it.

The Mojo 4 (and maybe the later Ripleys) have a neat plastic guard which should stop stones getting into the gap.

FoD tho, I run a HT all winter. I’ll forgive Ibis bikes their lack of suitability for a UK winter because they are so good the rest of th time.

In terms of which one is best…hmm well if you’re riding dowies/shutcastle/staunton etc I’d say the Ripley might be a bit more engaging. If you’re doing all the super steep/off-piste stuff then maybe the RipMo. I’ve ridden both extensively on some known and lesser known trails and had fun on both. Not sure that helps!

Alex

Oh and finally, I’m talking about the V1 RipMo. The V2 is obviously a bit slacker etc. My plan is to actually slacken off my V1, stick a 170mm air shaft in the Lyrik and maybe swap the DPX for an X2. Mainly as we have some humdinger full-on trips coming up (hopefully late this year and next year) and that’s a far cheaper option than buying a V2!

jp4urio
    Free Member

Absolutely fantastic, cheers! Really useful. Cracking blog too, enjoyed reading through that!

Prefer the looks of the V1 for sure, but need the warrantee so bug zapper blue it is! Thanks again for your insights.

Alex

No worries. Have you actually found one to buy? If so, enjoy and if I see a(nother) RipMo in the FoD, I’ll say Hi!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Ripley V4 – how’s it ride?’ is closed to new replies.