Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Ibis Mojo's
  • OrangeLad
    Free Member

So I’m contemplating changing my frame. I’ve a Titus motolite at the moment I like it but it’s the first full sus I’ve owned. I like the look of a Ibis mojo although it would be a c.2010 vintage one so that I can keep most of the components off the Titus bar the seat post which I was wanting to change for a dropper anyway.

Couple of questions do they live up to there reviews? Secondly does anyone in Warwickshire have one that I could sit on to see how they are size wise?

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I love mine. Though it did crack the first month I had it. Though I’m sure this was a freak account. Climbs unbelievable and all around just a good feeling bike. Nothing negative to say really except maybe a bit slacker? Maybe.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2013 sl with carbon shock and forks and with 650b wheels it’s the overall best bike I’ve ever ridden. Trouble is in my local forest it’s too much bike really so only gets used once a year or something when I go to Wales. Keeps it in good nick tho 🙂 size wise I’m normally on a medium at 5 foot ten ish but a large fits me fine as they come up a little small.

chakaping
    Free Member

they come up a little small.

+1

Only had a demo on one and a go on a mate’s – but the medium did seem rather short.

Nice suspension but nothing special IMO. I’d probably look for something a bit more modern, geometry wise.

dreednya

Had mine since 2009 and love it. Run a 150 fork on it with offset bushings and its at 67.5 degrees HA and a hoon to ride in Wales day in day out (between 100-180 miles a week). Only reason I have another bike is the scarcity of forks in the 150 mm range with a straight steerer with 20 mm TA now so god knows what it will be like in a few years time. I’ve still kept it as it is worth more to me than selling it on and it is a really fun spare bike to have. Built it down to 25lbs initially and then back up to 28 lbs with bigger tyres, dropper etc and definitely more fun to ride.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I agree the angles maybe unfashionable but it will still do more than my skills will ever allow and imho there’s very few bikes better looking.

Daffy

I’ve just replaced my 2007 Mojo with a 2013 SLR. I tried a few other bikes – Turner, Specialized etc…I bought a newer Mojo.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Test rode one bout 3 years ago, loved it and am comtemplating buying one now.
    I’m 5’10” and a med was too small, large was perfect

joelowden

I test rode an HD3 and to be honest it wasn’t that special ; I rode the demo PYGA 140 the next day and couldn’t stop laughing. It’s that much fun.

iain65
    Free Member

I’m in south warwickshire (shipston on stour) and have a large size Mojo, you are welcome go have a look if you want. I’ve been contemplating selling it for a while now but not managed to bring myself to do it.

It has a 150mm Talas on it with xtr and cross max st’s.

My email is in my profile, let me know if I can help.

Iain.

Northwind

They’re lovely looking and really well made but they’re also kind of classic US long travel- short and steep and tall, basically big XC bikes. They’re getting past that now but going back a couple of years that’s what you’ll get.

Whether that’s a problem is a different matter o’course. They make for great, lightweight, agile trailbikes. But they also feel pretty limited compared to most modern bikes of the same travel with more wheelbase, slacker head angles etc.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

On my list of one-day-must-own bikes. I have a Tranny and love the feel and looks of that. The Mojo seems like a long travel full suspension extension of
    that. Capable, but engaging. 26″ XC-Gnar.. 🙂

ibnchris

I went from a Titus (racer X) to an ibis mojo and I love it. Got lucky on an ex demo one for £900 and it’s a lovely bike to ride. Feels much more accomodating than the Titus that was probably better off in the hands of the racing snake I bought it off. The ibis is a great skill compensator (handy for me) looks lovely (lots of envious looks) but agree they do come up a little small. I’m 6ft and the large needs a layback for me…

Daffy

Northwind – Member
    They make for great, lightweight, agile trailbikes. But they also feel pretty limited compared to most modern bikes of the same travel with more wheelbase, slacker head angles etc.

I think you’ve been reading too much MBR. Most of the newer bikes I rode felt less chuckable on anything, and only really at home when they were pointed down something. That’s the Mojo’s strength for me; its capability in depth. it’s an exceptional climber, a very capable descender and a great all day trail bike. An angleset provides a slacker fee if that what you’re looking for, admittedly with a compromise to the TT length.

cinnamon_girl

They are gorgeous looking bikes! Mine is brilliant on descents, pushes me out of my comfort zone to speeds I wouldn’t normally do. It’s the wrong wheel size, it’s a few years old but is so much fun. Quite a short tt, can be a bit of a pita when climbing with 140 travel.

Daffy

cinnamon_girl – Member
    It’s the wrong wheel size

No it isn’t. Just bung some 650b wheels in there – it works just fine.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve done that. Running 2.25 tyres with a 4mm shock shim, takes 5 mins to fit and remove, I love it at CYB.

Daffy

I’ve got a 2.35 front and a 2.1 rear with plenty of clearance.

Northwind

Daffy – Member

I think you’ve been reading too much MBR

I think I rode them and made up my own mind.

cinnamon_girl

No it isn’t. Just bung some 650b wheels in there – it works just fine.

I’m happy with 26ers and have no intention of changing! My comment was tongue in cheek.

julians
    Free Member

I had a majo HD, it was pretty good in its day, but I agree with the poster above who reckons the newer longer/lower etc etc bikes are much better.

The orbea rallon I bought to replace it is more confidence inspiring and generally faster,easier to ride and more fun in most downhill scenarios, there’s a few types of trail where the mojo HD was faster though, usually the smooth trails with a shallow gradient

fd3chris
    Free Member

I think the op is looking for comments on what a bike frame costing £3-400 might be like compared to his current ride. Not much newer bikes costing £1000’s which damn well ought to be better.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I doubt he can buy an Orbea for the same money though….

Daffy

cinnamon_girl – Member
    My comment was tongue in cheek.

oh.. 😳

Northwind – Member

I think I rode them and made up my own mind.

Well, so long as you’re sure… 😉

OrangeLad
    Free Member

Yeah I’m not fussed about what the fashion is today. My current bike is a 26’er with 3×9, steepish head angle and a straight steerer so based on that if I believed all the marketing BS I should die everytime I go near anything that resembles single track .

The reason for looking at the slightly older ones is because it means don’t have to sell some incredibly good parts for silly money because they aren’t fashionable now due to afore mentioned marketing BS.

loddrik
    Free Member

Typical STW. Man asks question about X. Wants to to buy X and has made mind up. Asks questions specific to X and is bombarded with answers saying that A B & C are better and ‘I bought A’ which is better than X.

julians
    Free Member

Meh, Op asked for opinions,specifically whether they live up to the reviews, I said they did back in the day,but cant compare to the current crop imo. Dont see whats wrong with that.

I thought it might be useful to hear as an ex mojo HD owner, ill remember next time not to be so objective.

By the way they do come up small, so go a size larger than you might normally get,or look carefully at the dimensions before you buy.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

My large white Mojo HD frame is for sale. Also includes an unused 650b rear triangle (limited run from Ibis)

cinnamon_girl

Running 9 speed XT with a triple, wheels have since been upgraded to Pro 3’s on Crest’s. It’s very much overkill for what I do (usually ride a hardtail) but this makes me smile.

loddrik
    Free Member

My large white Mojo HD frame is for sale. Also includes an unused 650b rear triangle (limited run from Ibis)

How much?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Chunky – also interested, email in profile

philstone

I’ve had an SL and now an HD for 3 years. Love it, whether its single track in Jersey or DH in Alps (where I stick a 180mm Van on it) and its brilliant… Absolutely love it.

Wookster

I had one, lovely looking bike, rode well very capable, but Just rode a bit “Meh” I had the “lopes link” on mine, but if you really pushed it into a hard corner it did flex.

It just didn’t involve me in the ride regardless of how hard I pushed it or not. I never clicked with it for some reason, my mates loved it though!

But I know few others who love it and would hear a bad word against it!!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Mojo's’ is closed to new replies.