Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ibis Mojo 4 review
  • Ben_Haworth

The Ibis Mojo makes a great case for the validity of the 27.5 trail bike, with a nimble, poppy bike that’s happy to take on anything.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Ibis Mojo 4 review

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

honeybadgerx

I think you’ve missed off the most critical element of the bike – does it still come with the old head tube badge?

Alex

I bought one (not on the basis of that review!) as I’d absolutely loved by Mojo3. The ‘4 just seemed to be all the improvements I’d wanted to see – bit longer, bit more reach, space for longer dropper, slacker HA etc. Built it up with 27.5×2.6 tyres and could not get on with it at all. It seemed really nervous and flighty in a way I’m sure my old M3 didn’t. Didn’t seem to climb that well (odd as all DW link bikes seem to), didn’t even feel that good on tight singletrack.

I mean it’s probably me. And the fact I’d ridden a lot of 29er FS after selling my M3. Not ridden a 27.5 bike since so that’d be around 3 years.  I even tried some narrower rims and 2.3 tyres on it. It climbed better but still nope, wasn’t working for me.

Sold it at a heck of a loss, but was glad to see it go as it sat in my shed unridden for a few months while I worked out why I didn’t like riding it. Never came to a proper conclusion. Compared to my rascal which has very similar travel, similar geo it’s night and day in terms of confidence and enjoyment.

I’ve had a ripley, ripmo and two mojos, And the last one was the only one I didn’t like!

Ibis Mojo4 build

Was a lovely looking thing tho!

IMG_5432

(that one after I’d just ridden the bunker trail in the Yat. Remember saying to my mate ‘would rather have been on my HT’)

Alex

does it still come with the old head tube badge?

It did when I bought mine! On my Ripmo, one of the screws fell out and I ended up losing the whole badge. Ibis generously sent me a new one FOC.

jamesybob

<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

As the happy new owner of Alex’s Mojo4 frame to counter what he said I have enjoyed it a lot. I don’t have 29er full sus bikes to compare to, but do have a 29er hardtail, so can understand why it might be a bit different to that. I have kept to 2.3 tyres. There are probably better bikes for going as fast as possible through rough terrain but it is a lot of fun to ride. I find it climbs pretty well, but worth using the climb switch on the shock at times, which is a bit different from the DW link Turner it replaced. I was looking for 27.5 frame to get a more modern setup bike and it has done the job perfectly.

Possibly a picture attached, not tried to upload one before.

tmays
    Free Member

Budget, 2-pot brakes on a £6.4k bike!!! That’s an insult.

Alex

Hi Jim! Glad you’re getting on with it. Like I say it was probably me as Ibis don’t make rubbish bikes! I’d almost like to ride it again ‘just to be sure’ but I think that horse has bolted.  The other thing on the bikes is the build quality is stunning. Some of the best I’ve seen. The fully built ones tho are expensive. All of mine were frame only. For the M4 I bought new wheels and forks and it still ended up being ‘cheaper’ overall than the equiv Ibis build with better parts.

powerbenny

I bought a Mojo HD 4 and think I’m overbiked about 90% of the time. I’d love to try the Mojo4 to see what the difference is. Every time I look at the frame though those organic curves melt my heart and I’m in love all over again. It’s a work of art, but on those 10% of times when I’m not overbiked it is an absolute beast that has saved my life I’m sure: it gobbles up whatever I throw at it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.