Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Ian Wright on Desert Island Discs
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Came across as a very genuine bloke.

Very emotional, he’s obviously had a lot of demons in his past.

Well worth a listen.

sandboy

My Mrs has no interest in football and is of the opinion that most footballers are overpaid fannies but she loves Wrighty. I did listen this morning and he and Lauren had a real genuine rapport. Well worth a listen.

binners

I’ll give that a listen. He’s one of those people you surely can’t dislike?

I’m a United fan and I bloody love Wrighty. He was some bloody player too.

dave661350

Presume this chap came up in his chat on DiD?

Pigface
    Free Member

Yes he talked about his teacher, was a great listen, as said above he has some demons but has worked hard to get by them. Him talking about Roecastle had me welling up.m

dashed
    Free Member

Wow! No interest in football but that was a hell of a listen!! Thanks 👍

senorj

I’m another fan.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s been getting a lot of love across social media. So I gave it a listen while I was out walking the dog. The bits where he talked about David Rocastle and Mr Pigdin were very moving. It was a lovely episode of DID.

didnthurt

I always liked Ian Wright as a player and in some way felt bad that he played at a time when there were so many great English forwards so never really got a chance in the national team.

I like him too as a pundit especially when working on England games for his enthusiasm and passion.

He has (by his own admission) been a bit of a shit in the past especially to his ex-partners and to his children (he has 8 with 4 different partners) but then he says he never had many good role models which does make it hard to make the right decisions if you don’t even know what the right decision is.

For me, he is a perfect example that it is never too late to change your life, outlook and the way you treat others also that everyone deserves a second chance.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

He’s improved as a pundit, found him pretty unbearable in his early days doing it. Good player though and seems like a good bloke. Nice story of how he came to the professional ranks late – aside from Vardy are there any other examples of this.

gobuchul
    Free Member

aside from Vardy are there any other examples of this.

Quite a few. Off the top of my head, Chris Waddle, Stuart Pearce, Les Ferdinand and Kevin Phillips.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers – I should have clarified that I meant aside from Vardy, players who are playing now.

jimmy

Had me welling up listening to that in the early hours. Easy to take things for granted in life,

gobuchul
    Free Member

I meant aside from Vardy, players who are playing now.

Very few nowadays. Certainly in the top flight. There are so many academies and kids are signed up so young, it’s less likely they will get “missed”.

Back in the day, a lot of clubs didn’t have academies. I know Newcastle basically used Wallsend Boys Club as their academy.

erictwinge
    Free Member

played it last night, great listen. also worth saying Lauren Laverne is doing an great job on that show.

theotherjonv

Great listen, I was sobbing listening to it while walking the dog this morning.

+1 to Loz as well, she was/is great filling the desert island espadrilles.

jamj1974

I know Newcastle basically used Wallsend Boys Club as their academy.

Sure it wasn’t Jossy’s Giants…?

binners

Well that was emotional! It’s really refreshing to hear someone being that emotionally honest

I love LaLa doing desert island discs. If you want another absolute belter, give Bob Mortimer’s episode a listen

baden

Sat with tears in my eyes in Bristol airport. I am a soppy git.

senorj

@ shortbread- Glenn Murray started his career very near the bottom . 😉
    I’m always Murray when playing against jnr J. 🙂

Caher

Podcast was excellent and liked him as as a footballer but it was somewhat unsettling the way he bullied Andrew Maxwell in that jungle program.

theotherjonv

It didn’t look great but Andrew Maxwell said it looked far more confrontational than it really was

singletrackmind

Good listen
    Used to watch him play at CPFC , then Ron Noades made some daft comments about employing black players as they could run really fast and that was the end of a great period for Palace
    Wright, Bright , Solako , Ninja all quality footballers Good times
    He came on as sub with 15 mins to go in a FA cup final and put 2 past Man U , a long long time ago
    Nice open honest interview , interesting choice of music too, Mozart – Stormsy

jimmy

Yes to Laverne. I liked it when he was apologising to listeners for crying and she said “they’re crying with you, Ian”. She was right.

derek_starship
    Free Member

My cousin was in Jossy’s Giants.

convert

That was very good.

Was very skeptical when LL got the gig, thinking it was going to go a bit tabloid. Maybe is has a bit but generally she has been excellent at it. Some life seems to have been breathed into the guest list too. Is she still just standing in for Kirsty Young or she permanently now?

MoreCashThanDash

Listening to it now. Damn I need to dust in here.

Saccades
    Free Member

Smalling.

alpin
    Free Member

I think Kirsty stepped down…. Found her voice really sexy.

jamj1974

I think he came across well, his words when he was talking about his beloved mentor and teacher – so moving.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Ian Wright on Desert Island Discs’ is closed to new replies.