Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Iain Duncan Smith Knighted
  • frankconway

Has anyone commented about John Bercow, as outgoing Speaker of the House, not getting the customary gong and elevation to the Lords?
    Yes, I know it was sort of expected that he would be ignored but he has done a lot that was good – made parliament more accessible in all senses, ensured that backbenchers could have their say, wasn’t afraid to slap down the ruling party, ensured that anti brexit/remain motions were listed for debate.
    Yes, more than a bit pompous but did a good job IMO.
    Ah, my comments above probably explain why he didn’t.
    That explains the small-minded and petty nature of blojo’s administration; a decision taken well before the GE.

damascus
    Free Member

misery that is Universal Credit isn’t factored in.

Universal credits is a good idea just badly implemented. He was wise enough to realise it wasn’t going the way he wanted and bailed on the project. I think there have been around 8 department for work and pensions ministers since him so he cannot take all the blame for that project.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

<

Has anyone commented about John Bercow, as outgoing Speaker of the House, not getting the customary gong and elevation to the Lords?
    Yes, I know it was sort of expected that he would be ignored but he has done a lot that was good – made parliament more accessible in all senses, ensured that backbenchers could have their say, wasn’t afraid to slap down the ruling party, ensured that anti brexit/remain motions were listed for debate.
    Yes, more than a bit pompous but did a good job IMO.
    Ah, my comments above probably explain why he didn’t.
    That explains the small-minded and petty nature of blojo’s administration; a decision taken well before the GE.

They do due diligence. I imagine it’s the risk that a lot of bullying allegations are going to come out in a lot more detail. The new speaker will want to quickly separate himself from the previous regime.

There is also the Keith Vaz issue, I’m sure more to come out there. There are bound to have been others protected by him.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    big_n_daft
    Free Member

Surely nothing tells us more comprehensively where we are as a country than the elevation of such a casually callous dim-witted dullard, utterly devoid of a single shred of empathy, compassion or humanity, who has forced so much unnecessary misery on so many of the most disadvantaged people in society?

You need to decide whether he’s a dim-witted dullard or the evil architect of a poorly implemented benefits system who micro managed each nasty decision

binners

Surely the latter is simply the result of the former? They’re not mutually exclusive. You can be simultaneously dim and evil.

Anyway… a picture is worth thousand words. Ben Jennings take on it in the Guardian sums it up perfectly

Here

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Iain Duncan Smith Knighted’ is closed to new replies.