Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Iain Banks / Iain M Banks
  • donsimon
    Free Member

NOT FAIR!!!!!! 👿

WackoAK
    Free Member

Surface Detail was one of those books that made me profoundly sad when I finished it simply because it was over..

Exactly the same for me, I reckon it’s his best to date.

Molgrips – did you get the reference at the end to the characters name??

peterfile
    Free Member

did anyone read Transition?

i found it in a cottage i rented in cornwall last summer. was actually quite impressed, very imaginitive and quite a clever structure.

molgrips
    Free Member

Which one? Well. Clearly I didn’t if I have to ask 🙂 Or I don’t remember.

EDIT: Oh you mean the solidier guy.. ah yes – his name rang a bell so I looked it up but I think I haven’t read the ones in which he is a major player.

afrothunder88

Try Neal Asher. Prador Moon or The Voyage of Sable Keech. Not eaxcatly high brow sci-fi but so much superb action so well done!

+1, Having finished Surface Detail recently I moved onto Neal Asher’s Polity universe books. Very good reads.

did anyone read Transition?

I read it last year too, couldn’t get why he didn’t release it under Iain M Banks over here (in the US he did), regardless, I enjoyed it alot.

Favourite ship name has to be: Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints. Infact I think that’s my favourite ship in the entire series. I also really enjoyed Excession due to the inter-mind communications.

brassneck

My current favourite ‘thinky’ scifi book is Anathem, Neal Stephenson. Cleverer than a box of monkeys that bloke.

Never really got on with the Iain M Banks books, though all were well written and intelligent, the The Algebraist was the last one I read. Might have to go back for another go now.

kimbers

if you like M

id reccomend

matthewjb
    Free Member

Spoiler alert! Sort of.

That was a brilliant last line. And it provided closure to a previous story which is something Banks did before with The Bridge and Complicity.

Of the Culture novels, Player of Games is a good start and not too spaceshippy. Or Inversions. But that’s not a fair example of a Culture novel.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah and don’t be scared of the spaceships. They’re not like spaceships in other books 🙂

fennesz
    Free Member

I wanna be an Abominator-class picket ship.

Don’t f*ck with the Culture.

kiwijohn

Best ship name?
    [small letters] I said, I’m carrying a big stick [/small letters]
    Just finished Surface Detail, very good. Look to Windward was also good.

molgrips
    Free Member

I want to join the Culture. If a GSV stopped by Earth tomorrow I’d be there.

Del

i quite liked the revelation series, but hamilton’s ‘epic’ left me cold. i trudged all the way through the trilogy but found it difficult to care about any of the characters at all.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I want to join the Culture. If a GSV stopped by Earth tomorrow I’d be there.

Me too. Didn’t they come in the late 70’s?

molgrips
    Free Member

Did they?

hels
    Free Member

That was the Vogons.

matthewjb
    Free Member

No they came in the late 70’s. See ‘The State of the Art’. They decided to leave us to it. But the Culture ship did get a request played on Radio 3.

z1ppy

Me too. Didn’t they come in the late 70’s?

The State of the Art

[EDIT: Too slow..]

hamilton’s ‘epic’ left me cold

I loved the story, thought it great but then the end was so glib I felt cheated.

Harry_the_Spider

Order placed. I went for Consider Phlebas.

bigjim

I found Matter really hard to get into and gave up but love the others I’ve read. Feersum endjinn is amazing.

I love the sense of scale he creates and uses, amazing.

matthewjb
    Free Member

bigjim – Member
    I found Matter really hard to get into and gave up

Matter took ages to get going. The end was exciting but it’s not my favourite.

Look to Windward was good. Really good subject matter. Dealing with loss and grief etc.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve read pretty much all of his books (including Raw Spirit) and pretty much liked them all. I think Excession is my favourite though.

Favourite culture ship name is either “Ultimate Ship The Second” or “Demented But Determined”.

anagallis_arvensis

the one about the chair is the best, forget what its called

WackoAK
    Free Member

the one about the chair is the best, forget what its called

Use of Weapons.

FG
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints was probably the coolest ship, regardless of name.
    Agreed, such a character 😀

bri-72

Another recommendation for transition.

I’d day it’s an “M” book even though it was Iain Banks. Most accessible of his space shippy stuff ive read. Just don’t ask me to explain what the hell it was about!

mangoridebike

For Banks fans (with or without the M) who are also interested in Whisky his book Raw Spirit is also rather good.

I found it rather expensive also as he wrote about the different whisky’s he tried with such passion I wanted to try them too.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My missus’s ladies book club are meeting at our house tonight and SWMBO wants me to recommend then a sci-fi book. So which Ian M. Banks should it be? I’m thinking perhaps Against a Dark Background, especially as the main character is a women.

Harry_the_Spider

Nearly finished Consider Phlebas. Enjoying it a lot.

rysz
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member
    My missus’s ladies book club are meeting at our house tonight and SWMBO wants me to recommend then a sci-fi book. So which Ian M. Banks should it be? I’m thinking perhaps Against a Dark Background,

Personally, I would not recommend Banks for a first foray into Sci Fi – they are amazing books and Look to Windward stunned me for an hour or so… It was incredible! If I had to, it would be “Against a Dark Background” – dark and gritty with a female lead character.

For those that are new to Sci Fi – I would recommend something a bit lighter and accessible like “The Windup Girl” by Paolo Bacigalupi as an easier entry.

Rysz.

mrchrispy

in the middle of surface detail and it pretty freaking good so far.
    I may go as far as to say the his best yet!

vinnyeh

My missus’s ladies book club are meeting at our house tonight and SWMBO wants me to recommend then a sci-fi book. So which Ian M. Banks should it be? I’m thinking perhaps Against a Dark Background, especially as the main character is a women.

Surely ‘The Time Traveler’s Wife’ 😆 for the girls.

Northwind

If you’ve read all the non-Ms then the Bridge and Walking on Glass are pretty scifi-ish anyway. Inversions is the least sci-fi of the Ms but hey, also one of the least good I reckon.

But then I reckon you should go direct to Consider Phlebeas, spaceships and massive train sets and really enormous shipwrecks etc all being awesome 😉

Kahurangi

But the Culture ship did get a request played on Radio 3.

IIRC they didn’t get it played.

Yes, just googled it

Also while I’d been away, the ship had sent a request on a postcard to the BBC’s World Service, asking for ‘Mr David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” for the good ship Arbitrary and all who sail in her.’ (This from a machine that could have swamped Earth’s entire electro-magnetic spectrum with whatever the hell it wanted from somewhere beyond Betelgeuse.) It didn’t get the request played. The ship thought this was hilarious.

p.s. did we all miss this????

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hv1dz

as for a book club… I dunno. Lots of (almost all?) of the books feature a female protagonist. Maybe Excession, but Against a Dark Background is a safe choice despite being non-Culture.

I’m not sure I’d chose Iain M Banks though.

TenMen
    Free Member

+1 for starting with The Use of Weapons – the first book of his that I read and it blew me away. Especially the bit with the chair…

D0NK

Currently reading the algebraist (which I will resume doing as soon as I stop browsing STW) Pretty good, not as good as some of his other stuff but I like it. Keep missing important plot items, seem like just usual none essential extra details then 5 chapters later it’s revealed as pretty bloody significant.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surface detail has a woman (well, girl) in it and deals with some gender issues, but it is somewhat grim in places for a book club. Although I didn’t find the Hell stuff particularly upsetting at all since it was dealt with very evenly and matter-of-factly. A bit like looking at a Dante painting in a gallery.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Look to Windward is my favourite I think. Though I haven’t finished Use of Weapons yet, it’s getting some good reviews from you lot, and I am enjoying it so far.

They are fairly hard going in some places though, as others have mentioned I probably wouldn’t make them my first foray into Sci-Fi.

arrpee
    Free Member

Favourite ship names:

-Anticipation of a New Lover’s Arrival, The
    -You Naughty Monsters
    -Prosthetic Conscience
    -Experiencing a Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    -Pure Big Mad Boat Man

Northwind

Me, I liked Ultimate Ship 2.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Iain Banks / Iain M Banks’ is closed to new replies.