Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I wrote an article on gravel bikes….
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening…
    I have been known, at times, to write some words in a useful manner… this is about my journey to getting a gravel bike. Hope you like it! LINK!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Nice little read that! So… have you decided on what you want to get yet? I’d love another Gravel Bike as there’s nothing worthy of a Mountain Bike local without going in the car.

I do have an Ibis DV9 hardtail, but I’m wondering if I should sell it and try a n On One Free Ranger or something?

Only thing stopping me is that I ride with the missus and she’s not too keen on getting one. She races XC and does the odd Enduro on her FS.

daftvader
    Free Member

Yeah, I ended up with the cotic escapade…. and I love it, though down in Hampshire we actually need a snorkel to ride anywhere at the moment!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ah nice, I like the look of the Escapade, you’ll have to take some pics when you get out on it. With you on that, can’t wait till it stops raining in June! 🙂

We’re doing the full Dirty Reiver this time and I’ll be doing it on the DV9 if I don’t end up getting a Gravel Bike, so I’m just pondering at the moment.

daftvader
    Free Member

I guess it depends what your general riding is like, here it’s mostly non technical bridleways etc, if I’d have been somewhere a bit rockier or hillier then I’d have stayed with my mountain bikes…. that said I could have easily been on the kayak for the school run!

rOcKeTdOg

welcome to gravel biking, there’s a bunch of us here you might want to join a ride with Ukgravelcollective 

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers rocket dog, I’ll have a butchers

MoreCashThanDash

My Arkrose(s) have proved the most capable and versatile bikes I’ve had.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Approved*

Hope you’re well, DV!

daftvader
    Free Member

Evening CFH! Can’t complain (no one listens) doing pretty well in all honesty. Hope all is groovy for you?

MoreCashThanDash

Should add, nice little article 👍

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All very well up on the down, DV. Still need to commission a knife re-handle if you’re still doing that. Oh, and a gnarmac ride around these parts next year? My local is rather good… (rabbit related!)

daftvader
    Free Member

Well CFH I’d be well up for that!!! And while things have been very quiet on the knife side, but still going….

tenfoot

Nice read that.
    Love my Arkose. Recently upgraded the brakes to the Giant Conduct hydraulic system and they’re so much better than the mechanical discs I had before.

Pound for pound, probably the best value, and most versatile bike I have.

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers tenfoot!

easily
    Free Member

Nice article daftvader, and good to read that you’re feeling a bit better and getting out and about.
    I went for an Arkose a year ago, and I’ve cycled more in the last 12 months than I have for years. I’m still getting used to the limitations of gravel bikes – I did a jump the other day that went to the limits of what a 38 tyre can take … and it wan’t that big a jump – but I’ve had more fun than I have for years as well.
    I’m looking forward to the next part of your article.

rOcKeTdOg
    Is your gravel bike group open to all?

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks easily! I hope to get out a bit more once Hampshire isn’t under water! After which I am going to write another one…

rOcKeTdOg

rOcKeTdOg
    Is your gravel bike group open to all?

Yes, just pvt as there are ride spot starts posted & it’s better not to broadcast where vehicles could be left unattended for hours on end.

Poopscoop

Thanks op, just read that. Going to write some more about the Cotic and your experiences with it soon?

daftvader
    Free Member

@poopscoop definitely, once Hampshire stops being a pond!

jameso

Good site/blog RD, just found it.

kerley
    Free Member

The bit of Hampshire I ride in is still great for riding on, just come back from a ride. Loads of little ponds across the forest areas but all of the gravel roads are still fine with no flooding on any of them. The gravel roads tend to be a few feet higher that the surrounding land and also drain very well.

rOcKeTdOg

Good site/blog RD, just found it

Cheers 😊

daftvader
    Free Member

@kerley I’m up in north Hampshire, most of which is chalk and clay based so unfortunately mostly unridable

kerley
    Free Member

You need to the New Forest, all year round gravel riding whatever the weather.

daftvader
    Free Member

@kerley yeah it’s only an hour down the m3 but I don’t get much time to get there….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I wrote an article on gravel bikes….’ is closed to new replies.