Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I "wrecked" the kids bike the day before a race – Hacks and Bodges please??
  • stevextc
    Free Member

So the kids clutch had gone in his M780 … I’d known about it but as he’s usually doing XC (and the NW keeps the chain on) but has an Enduro tomorrow thought I’d take a quick look…as he’s dropped a chain on stuff rougher than kids XC before…

We also have 2 days uplift booked (post race and Sunday)… so I want my trail bike working.

Pulling off the clutch cover the ring that holds the offset bit had come off completely… and on inspection was a bit bent…

After a bit of faff and deciding it won’t fix easily I switched for a spare M780 rear mech… clutch works but its not shifting properly… (It’s OK buty not really positive) , put the b-screw in about the same and the upper/lower limits are good … then it went dark…. He’s go a 40T expander but it was previously working.

I potentially have another “spare” M780 (on my XC bike).. could rip off and try?

I also have a rebuilt/straightened M8000 rear mech… (hasn’t been tested but had to bend cage back)

As it happens (I’m just collecting for the upgrade) I also have a spare M8000 cassette … I just don’t have a shifter unless I pull it off my trail bike and stick a x10 on and switch wheels with the XC bike.

I guess I’m also wondering if he’ll need the 40T on the kids Enduro .. maybe removing that will give him a working rear mech ???

Yak

The mech off your xc bike seems the quickest way out of this.
    But the M8000 mech will work too with 10sp, probably better with the 40t too.

Try the m8000 first.

stevextc
    Free Member

Just adding … what about the M8000 rear mech with same x10 shifters and cassette as is???

Yak

Yes, leave the shifter and cassette alone and try the m8000 mech.

There’s a slight difference – see here:
    http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

So try and see if it works. (I think it will undershift by 0.5mm over a 10 speed cassette, so not much….unless I’ve made a schoolboy maths error 🙂 )

stevextc
    Free Member

Cheers….

I’ll try the straightened out M8000 ..

Worst case (if the straightened cages aren’t as good as I thought when I straightened it) he can have my M8000 mech for the weekend

Like you say it should be better on the 40T anyway… and I texted weeksy and he says the Enduro is 99% downhill so I could potentially give him a larger front ring with the M8000 without adding to the chain length?

TBH I’m a tad disappointed I paid for the uplift days and all he was interested in last night was the race.

Yak

Take the other spare m780 and the cog you took out too – just in case! All bases covered then. Have a good race weekend!

teethgrinder

Ran M8000 mech with SLX/T-Rex and it was better than the previous Zee mech.

Went full M8000 1×11 and it was better.

Accidentally bought a 10 speed Sun Race 11-42t cassette rather than an 11 speed to replace the very, very worn XT cassette and it still works well.

Kahurangi

Original M780 mech and steal the clutch off the XC bike’s M780??

Or figure out why the spare M780 isn’t working as intended. Figure out the limit stops etc. and check the cage for damage/length. Did the original M780 have a RAD cage, goat link or similar?

boxelder

Wait, you haven’t bought him a dedicated enduring ‘sled’? <ring child line>

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m not a child psychologist, but I’m not that surprised that a race on saturday morning has his attention more than going riding with Dad – no matter how much more you’re looking forward to that. Especially if there’s a perception that his bike being in top condition for the race takes back seat to yours for you to play on with him afterwards…

Hopefully the M8000 sorts the issue. 🙂

otsdr
    Free Member

As you already noticed, the 11speed derailleur won’t work with a 10 speed shifter due to different pull ratios. You could borrow the 11 speed shifter as well and use the limit screws on the M8000 derrailleur to prevent it from going into the spokes.

stevextc
    Free Member

The rear “original” mech was as is.. no goat link or RAD cage.

It’s pretty worn (anodising wise) next to the newer one… but non of these are new, just taken off whilst still working. It could be the newer looking cage looks better cosmetically but it actually a bit bent …

I’ve played about on the limit screws, b -adjust and cable tension and also bent it a bit straighter 😀 and its working in the bike stand..

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m not a child psychologist, but I’m not that surprised that a race on saturday morning has his attention more than going riding with Dad – no matter how much more you’re looking forward to that. Especially if there’s a perception that his bike being in top condition for the race takes back seat to yours for you to play on with him afterwards…

Yep…. you’re right….
    Still, can’t help feeling a bit disappointed. 🙄

TBH I let him race the last XC without a clutch..
    Weirdly we went off biking after the event and he missed the award ceremony and getting his podium spot and medal and didn’t seem overly concerned … not that it worried me ..I thought that was actually a good thing… I was just surprised.

I just hope he’s not disappointed if his first Enduro doesn’t go like the XC races….

Wait, you haven’t bought him a dedicated enduring ‘sled’? <ring child line>

I’ve a feeling he’ll find it hard to beat any kids on Enduro/Downhill FS bikes on his XC bike… or he’ll hurt himself trying …

DickBarton

Quite a lot of spares there…

Northwind

stevextc – Member

TBH I let him race the last XC without a clutch..

Honestly if it was me, that’s what I’d do. The clutch is a nice bonus for chain management but it’s really not that important, the narrow/wide is doing almost all of the work. Mine broke on day one in teh alps so I just took the broken mech out and carried on, it made more noise but it didn’t make any noticable difference to retention. And god knows how far I’ve ridden with it switched off…

ulysse
    Free Member

teethgrinder

Accidentally bought a 10 speed Sun Race 11-42t cassette rather than an 11 speed to replace the very, very worn XT cassette and it still works well.

With the 11 speed shifter as well as the mech?

teethgrinder

otsdr – Member
    As you already noticed, the 11speed derailleur won’t work with a 10 speed shifter due to different pull ratios.

Nope. Works fine.

ulysse – Member
    With the 11 speed shifter as well as the mech?

Yup. Spot on.

ulysse
    Free Member

Ahhh, next in the upgrade path for me then, I’m 10spd sunrace 11-42, with M80000 11spd mech and 10spd SLX shifter, i’m going 11 speed as fast as I can sneak components past the mrs… 😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yep, my experience (Alpine guide!) is that clutch mechs’ contribution to chain retention is pretty minimal. NW chainring is most important, followed very closely by a top-guide, then a bottom roller and finally a clutch mech.

We’ve repaired a couple of shimano clutch mechs by just removing the cover and jamming something into place(random scrap of plastic or similar!) so that the clutch is permanently on, then replacing the cover. Works pretty well. Bear in mind that SRAM clutch mechs don’t even have the on/off lever.

stevextc
    Free Member

Well, that was one epic weekend!
    The mech worked …. didn’t drop a chain and we spent the other day and half doing downhill from the uplift …

I took Wiggy’s advice and got a full face for Jnr… which he promptly crash tested repeatedly… and he absolutely loved the uplift and downhill runs.

stevextc
    Free Member

Yep, my experience (Alpine guide!) is that clutch mechs’ contribution to chain retention is pretty minimal.

Surely that depends on the bike ?
    I can see the clutch being next to useless on a 160mm+ travel FS … but on a HT without the pivoting the clutch can keep the chain tight…

weeksy

You can be very pleased 🙂 That’s a tough day our for your wee lad…. he did really well and seemed happy as you like 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

Ah, why did I call you Wiggy ???

The Full face got full product testing! (Including a big rock in the face)
    It gave him bags of confidence…. really good call there!

By Sunday afternoon he was riding stuff I didn’t think was actually possible on his bike.

mark90
    Free Member

Good to meet you Steve. Your lad looked to be enjoying himself 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

Good to meet you Steve.

Likewise 😀

Your lad looked to be enjoying himself

Huge understatement.
    We both had a absolute blast.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I "wrecked" the kids bike the day before a race – Hacks and Bodges please??’ is closed to new replies.