Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 253 total)
  • I wonder if she thinks it was a life well lived.
  • hora
    Free Member

Blair? I think its spelt Bliar.

rkk01
    Free Member

If she had folded/conceded in 82 where would we be now?

(ETA – presume this was a Falklands reference, apologies if it is not)

Not around in 82? or not a very good student of history???

The Thatcher Govt precipitated the events of 1982, FFS – ask anyone serving in the RN at the time.

When people talk about Thatcher having blood on her hands regarding the Falklands, minds immediately go to the Belgrano….. The reality is far more extensive and costly than the sinking of one obsolete WW2 cruiser

konabunny
    Free Member

If she had folded/conceded in 82 where would we be now?

Britain would be a radically different country: the IRA would be in government, the mainland would be ruled by Tory wets, the Scots would be going for independence and the British economy would be dependent on decisions made by Germans in Brussels.

Oh, wait…

MSP

I guess the point I was making was that she will be “judged by history”.

In fifty years time when we look at politics in the 20th Century what names will be remembered?

Churchill? Definately
    Wilson? Maybe
    Thatcher? Certainly
    Blair? Well lets hope not!

I’m sure during her brief moments of clarity she probably does think it was a life well lived.

We can all argue amongst ourselves whether we think she is right or not.

Clemment Attlee and Aneurian Beven are more significant politicians of the last century than Thatcher and Blair.

messiah
    Free Member

Oh my…

rkk01
    Free Member

Dancing shoes awaiting polish – oh hold on, we did that thread and it didn’t go well, did it 😈

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MSP – if your right (?), I hope that historians are able to spell Aneurin Bevan correctly!!!

binners

You’ve still yet to enlighten us with her greatest achievement Hora?

Was it the deregulation of the City? And the re-balancing of the economy in favour of financial services? That went really well, I thought.

richmtb

Clemment Attlee and Aneurian Beven are more significant politicians of the last century than Thatcher and Blair.

Possibly – and I’m not arguing otherwise – you could also include Lloyd George.

But who is the most likely to be remembered?

Solo
    Free Member

I think you’ve all forgotten her greatest achievement.

Some angry and bitter men who probably blame their lives and divorces on what she did during their childhood in the eighties?

I’ll add that these people see nothing wrong with sticking the knife into an elderly woman in the twilight of her life.

I believe, that she believed, at the time.
    And so therefore, how can you blame someone for beleiving in something and trynig to make a difference.
    In the manner that she did.
    Of course, we all have the benefit of hindsight, now

As for alienation.
    As we know, Maggy was assinated by the top brass for her views on Europe.
    I’m staggered at how insightful she was on this matter and, all these years later.
    I believe we’re better off out of the Euro.

Its the only thing I agreed with Gordon on.
    His 5 tests were never going to be met.
    This was an accpetable way of kicking the UK’s entry into the single currency.
    Into the long grass.
    Looking at recent events in Euro land.
    I’m kinda glad we still have the GBP.

Have a dig at an old woman now, as she waits for god.
    But also bare in mind what it makes you look like.
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

Was it the deregulation of the City? And the re-balancing of the economy in favour of financial services? That went really well, I thought.

Deliberate Troll, not worthy of a response.
    🙄

bruneep

Still reminds me off…

bwaarp
    Free Member

My Baroness Thatcher has changed since 1982, seen here at a press conference during the Falklands war.

xiphon
    Free Member

I hope she gets to experience some NHS treatment under Tory rule.

wwaswas

I’ll add that these people see nothing wrong with sticking the knife into an elderly woman in the twilight of her life.

that’s not fair, I’ve been making snidey comments about her since I was 15 in 1981.

rkk01
    Free Member

I believe, that she believed, at the time.
    And so therefore, how can you blame someone for beleiving in something and trynig to make a difference.
    In the manner that she did.
    Of course, we all have the benefit of hindsight, now…

Ahh, ok – so historical decisions, no matter how bad they look in hindsight, are actualy ok providing you believed it was the right thing to do at the time… 🙄

I can see that going down well at the International Criminal Court

binners

Not worthy of response? Well you could always detail how pant-wettingly fantastically it all went then.

I’m not very bright, you see. I can only see whats in front of my eyes. And from where I’m standing it looks like an unmitigated ****ing disaster of biblical proportions! One that we’re going to be paying for for generations. Oh…. all except the people who definitely won’t be paying for it… the ones who caused it.

But do feel free to enlighten me with your evidence to the contrary

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh damage that Thatchers governments did to the country is enormous and we are still paying now – the social damage from the deliberate policy of mas unemployment is huge apart from all the rest of it

hora
    Free Member

Bliar led us into one counter-invasion and two invasions. Hes also a Millionaire and his wealth continues to grow. 100’s of thousands have died as a direct consequence of his actions.

No one seems to vilify him.

hilldodger
    Free Member

binners – Member

Greatest achievement was to expose the true greed and hypocrisy of the “working classes”
    Give “them” a sniff of a bit of property or share ownership and they’ll vote you in for ever….

konabunny
    Free Member

Of course, we all have the benefit of hindsight, now…

God damn, you’re absolutely right. If only anyone in the country had had the foresight at the time to realise her policies wouldn’t work out the way she said they would. They could have done something like…I don’t know…organise protests and stuff, or campaigned against her, or voted for different parties, or even – and this just a wild idea – even Tory insiders could have given her the elbow.

jota180
    Free Member

are you absolutely sure of that?

binners

Erm…. are you sure about that? Have you been living in a cave for the last ten years?

mudshark
    Free Member

He’s a ******* ****

konabunny
    Free Member

Bliar…No one seems to vilify him.

lol

hora
    Free Member

Use google and type Tony Blair news. How many do you see of him blood all over him, murder of innocents, enrichment? in the top hits?

totalshell

i think that as elderly person in the twilight of her life she has many experiences that we could all learn from.
    she was focussed enough to secure the first female leadership of a political party in this country ( only repeated once nationally since) and she was our first and to date only female prime minister. a considerable achievement to day never mind 30 years ago.
    she had clear goals in mind and a vision for the country she persuaded the electorate to share that view and she was re-elected to continue that journey again something all politians would envy.
    during her period in office the country changed, from a bankrupt dinosuar into a cutting edge leading european nation.
    How and the way that all happened people will discuss for decades but 20 years on the country is in a better place for her period in office than it would have been if old Micheal Foot had had his 15 years of fame.
    Tony Blair then squandered that leagacy with the most self serving Govt the country has ever had and Gordon ( where are you?) Brown pissed what remained up the wall.

rkk01
    Free Member

are you absolutely sure of that?

Blair is an odd one. There are certainly sections of the population taht villify Blair over his US wars. In the main I’d say that his reputation is largely “in tatters”, rather than being villified.

The New Labour govt achieved a lot that is to bee applauded in it’s first term *, yet Blair will be remembered for his shallowness – foreign wars, his argumnets with Brown (refuted at the time, since corroborated), completely untrustworthy smile and bullshit glib PR shiny answers. For this he is disrespected, rather than hated.

Thatcher is totally different in comparison. A sizeable part of the population still idolise her (none idolise Blair…?). The rest still revile her

ETA * I think most look back on the 1997 Govt and acknowledge that big changes have been made reagrding tolerance and how Brits view themselves and each other.

binners

Have you learnt to use Google then. Well done you! Can you find us a graph to chart the relative unpopularity of Blair or Thatcher?

GO on. You can do it. Think of it as a little project for the afternoon

hora
    Free Member

You know, there are better uses for google 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cutting edge leading european nation.

with a massive bleeding hole in it that has never been repaired.

The deliberate policy of mass unemployment caused such damage to society and it has not healed yet. Hopelessness, metal health problems, drug abuse. The rotting sore that is the ghettos for the poor.

rkk01
    Free Member

cutting edge leading european nation.

Ehhh – I must have dozed off… when was that?

binners

Have you got round the parental controls? I’ll have to reset those later, I think

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Binners

Her greatest achievement – easy, ridding us of the nightmare of 1970s Britain
    Her greatest failure – replacing one set of extremes with another, but probably hard to see how should could have done otherwise

Tackles: 1970s rampant inflation, excess union power, excess welfare state, over-reliance of Keynesian economic (Stop-Go cycle), IMF bailout

But leaves us with: Hayek’s “Constitution of Liberty” taken to its extreme, and over-reliance on Monetarism, the Miners Strike, turning self-reliance into “no-such thing as society”, over-reliance of market-based solutions and privatisation

Subsequent politicians then took the good parts and rejected the excesses leading to New Labour and Mandlesson’s infamous line, “we are all Thatcherites now.” Oh, and then who created the unbalanced economy with excess concentration on financial services and the Public Sector? Hmmm….remind me?

Solo
    Free Member

Hora.

Its no use.

I forget that this place is massively subscribed to by lefties.

They’ll not see sense and will blindly continue on their current path.

Sensible political debate is impossible in this place.

According to TJ’s logic, WIlliam the conqueror has a lot to answer for.
    🙄

Binners just loves to hate and overlooks that if Maggy did hold the top-spot during a relaxtion of the rules which were once designed to prevent the recent economic turmoil.
    She did so as a member of successive premiers on both sides of the pond, who perhaps had other issues at the top of their agendas.
    IIRC, Gordon was quite chummy with his mates in the City, but I see no mention of that here, for the obvious reason that it detracts from binners argument against Maggy.
    Binners. Go away and read abit on recent political history.
    Then you may return.
    When you have something constructive and intelligent to add.
    I’d offer TJ the same advise, but he’s past changing or caring and is a dyed in the wool lefty, or whatever he chooses to call it.

I can see that going down well at the International Criminal Court
    Right oh then !….
    In your mind, Maggy should be on trial at the ICC ?…
    RRrriiiiieeet.
    😯

rkk01
    Free Member

Her greatest achievement – easy, ridding us of the nightmare of 1970s Britain
    Her greatest failure – replacing one set of extremes with another, but probably hard to see how should could have done otherwise

Tackles: 1970s rampant inflation, excess union power, excess welfare state, over-reliance of Keynesian economic (Stop-Go cycle)

But leaves us with: Hayek’s “Constitution of Liberty” taken to its extreme, and over-reliance on Monetarism, the Miners Strike, turning self-reliance into “no-such thing as society”, over-reliance of market-based solutions and privatisation

Subsequent politicians then took the good parts and rejected the excesses leading to New Labour and Mandlesson’s infamous line, “we are all Thatcherites now.” Oh, and then who created the unbalanced economy with excess concentration on financial services and the Public Sector? Hmmm….remind me?

Which can be simplified to:

“Pursued political idealology beyond pragmatic necessity”

Which is what is so depressing about most / all politicians…

MrsToast
    Free Member

bruneep, never, ever post another Terrahawks picture again without warning. I still have nightmares, you monster!

hora
    Free Member

Anyway, fan or foe. When she dies it’ll be a sad day. I was neither a fan or foe. I just admired how she rose up in a male-dominated world.

That is unless you are one of those weird folk who wish ill on all and sundry?

binners

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Get her!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Solo – so the deliberate policy of mass unemployment she pursued did not do massive damage to society?

BTW – this place is full of right wingers not lefties.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘I wonder if she thinks it was a life well lived.’ is closed to new replies.