I wish I hadn't weighed my bike…

Home Forum Bike Forum I wish I hadn't weighed my bike…

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • I wish I hadn't weighed my bike…
  • yunki

today’s ride

bike is about 13.5kg (that’s being very very generous.. probably 15kg if I’m honest)
    trailer is 10kg
    son 1 is about 16kg
    son 2 is about 6.5kg
    shopping (including 6kg of fondant icing) was easily getting on for 10kg+

so that’s about 56kg or 120 odd lbs.. and I haven’t had a shit for about 2 days

Twas slow going into the 40mph headwinds.. 😀

I dunno how much my rigid SS soul weighs.. not much less

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

yunki – Member
    today’s ride

bike is about 13.5kg
    trailer is 10kg
    son 1 is about 16kg
    son 2 is about 6.5kg
    shopping (including 6kg of fondant icing) was easily getting on for 10kg+

so that’s about 56kg or 120 odd lbs.. and I haven’t had a shit for about 2 days

Twas slow going into the 40mph headwinds..

I dunno how much my rigid SS soul weighs.. not much less

You are Cancellara and I claim my £5…

trail_rat

are people ashamed of the brand of ti frame – saying “my ti frame” you might as well say my bike it is about as descriptive.

not all ti frames are equal – some are not even close every builder has his own ideas

IanW

You have been done, my bargain bucket scandal with kiddies wheels is much lighter, not sure how much just much.

fibre

I find out weights online or weigh bits I already have to avoid disappointment. If something is surprisingly heavy then I know what to change. It’s worth the effort if your bothered about the bike weight and want to make sure the moneys spent in the right way. My bikes are never *that* light though, as I use slightly more durable parts. Remedy 2×9 with a dropper – 29lb, 456c with Alfine and Pikes – 26.6lb.

Thompson 90mm Stem 155g > Various at 130g
    Race face Dues 700mm 300g > Haven Cabons 175g
    Renthal Kevlar grips 100g > Esi 60g
    Shimano 520 pedals 380g > Shimano XT M780 340g

Just a quick look (some aprrox weights), you could spend more but that’s any easy half pound there.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

are people ashamed of the brand of ti frame – saying “my ti frame” you might as well say my bike it is about as descriptive.

Not really, most ti hardtails weigh about 3.5lb give or take a few hundred grammes ime. The brand is pretty much irrelevant.

Premier Icon adsh
    Subscriber

My Ti a la Carte is 22lb.

Large Frame 1700g (not light but oh so good)
    100mm SID race with remote
    Full XTRincluding pedals
    Van Nic Ti stem and bars
    KCNC foam grips
    USE Ti post
    Gobi kium – not the lightest but V. comfortable
    Crests, pro2 evo,CXray and brass nips (longevity)1550g
    Ti non QD 9mm skewers
    Hope Race Evo with 140/160 floating rotors (rotors quite a lot lighter than 180s)
    Ron/Ralph 2.2s tubeless
    2x ti king cages (not weighed)

I believe the weight as I calibrated the scales (1l bottles of water)and the flux is 24.5 on bike shop scales with heavier wheels, 120 forks and a frame that weighs 1kg more.

Anyway swings and roundabouts – you probably use yours more and without worrying about the cost of XTR cassettes etc 😯

I won’t be changing my car for 2 years as a result of this bike……

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Anyway swings and roundabouts – you probably use yours more and without worrying about the cost of XTR cassettes etc

Yes, I worry about enough stuff as it is already – worrying about wear and tear due to high replacement costs is something I’m not wanting to worry about.

toxicsoks

Yes, I worry about enough stuff as it is already – worrying about wear and tear due to high replacement costs is something I’m not wanting to worry about.
    You will, mate, you will…

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Mine weighs 23.18lbs according to the shop scales, quite chuffed wi that considering i’ve fitted a KS Lev dropper, i did ditch the thomson stem yesterday and fit an Easton haven which saved 10g – woohoo!. it does have every possible bolt replaced for Ti though which must save all of 30g. If i removed the Ti hipflask and holder i’d prob get it under 23lbs but the hipflask is just as imprtant as the pedals or bars so it’s being counted as part of the bike.

Old pic not showing the Ks Lev dropper and with thomson stem

[/img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7293/8726179126_9137ee428d.jpg[/img]

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Thompson 90mm Stem 155g > Various at 130g
    Race face Dues 700mm 300g > Haven Cabons 175g
    Renthal Kevlar grips 100g > Esi 60g
    Shimano 520 pedals 380g > Shimano XT M780 340g

Just a quick look (some aprrox weights), you could spend more but that’s any easy half pound there.

Try harder!

KCNC SC Wing stem – 96g
    Mt Zoom risers – 165g
    Bontrager XXX Lite grips – 14g
    Ritchey WCS Paradigm pedals – 225g

Net cost of that will be about the same. Pedals likely won’t last, nearing a pound saved though.

it does have every possible bolt replaced for Ti though which must save all of 30g.

IMO it’s better (and vastly cheaper) to replace what you can with alu, rather than do everything with ti. I’m running alu bolts in my shifter, brake levers, chainset, mechs, rotor bolts, bottle cage and a Mt Zoom one piece alu headset top cap and bolt.

Full length outer cables can be quite heavy, Quaxar stuff seems quite good.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

somafunk – Member

Mine weighs 23.18lbs according to the shop scales, quite chuffed wi that considering i’ve fitted a KS Lev dropper, i did ditch the thomson stem yesterday and fit an Easton haven which saved 10g – woohoo!. it does have every possible bolt replaced for Ti though which must save all of 30g. If i removed the Ti hipflask and holder i’d prob get it under 23lbs but the hipflask is just as imprtant as the pedals or bars so it’s being counted as part of the bike.

Old pic not showing the Ks Lev dropper and with thomson stem

[/img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7293/8726179126_9137ee428d.jpg[/img]

I’m failing to see how my bike weighs 2.5lbs more than that.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

My frame is a bit lighter than yours, it was 1396g and i didn’t pay for my ti bolts – i’ve a mate who work in motorsport so i raided one of his roller cabinets, a bit cheeky perhaps but i don’t charge for my time when doing work for him.

Hope ceramic bb, middleburn cranks,R1 brakes and alloy spiders, every little bit soon adds up.

b r

I’m failing to see how my bike weighs 2.5lbs more than that.

Different size, with pedals, cruds etc maybe – plus more importantly different scales.

My scales are either accurate or over-read (according to everyone else who weighs their bikes…). If you are at all bothered get yourself a set of Park (or the like) scales, and some drug scales for components. At least then you’ll have a more accurate base-line.

Premier Icon adsh
    Subscriber

and some drugs. At least then you won’t care.

FTFY

Being bored last year i stripped my Pitch into parts and weighed it on the kitchen (salter digital) scales.

Now either they’re exactly as inaccurate as the bathroom ones or they’re both pretty accurate as they both came to the same total weight. Provided a useful idea what to bin, but most of the changes I ended up making were for more functional reasons.

Still do the following on all my bikes though:
    1) tubeless, gheto with insulating tape and an old valve, saves 100g per end even with sealant and is almost free.
    2) foam grips, because i like them and they’re another 100g off.

For £6 that’s almost a lb off any shop bought bike!

Spent a lot (well, £800) lightening an entry level road bike, went from 21lb to 16.something, makes a difference to how it feels and rides, but not to how quick it is unfortunately.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘I wish I hadn't weighed my bike…’ is closed to new replies.